Tuesday 31 October 2023

Thank You Ruta . . . and finally photos from Malvern Flea

. . . You cracked it, and I have written down the details of how to turn photo numbers into photos. Phew.  I can now share the Malvern ones with you, and will try and find the energy to photograph my little haul later.

    I can report that Keith is MUCH brighter today and woke me by getting to the bathroom whilst I was still zzzzzzzzzzzing.  He had energy for a shower too and is now reading his paper.

    On the other hand, I thought I had turned a corner yesterday as my brain fog has finally cleared - thank heavens, as I really shouldn't have driven to Newtown with my head the way it was on Saturday, but needs must and I had the window open all the way.  I read lots of my book (On the Edge of Darkness by Barbara Erskine, a re-read and gosh I enjoyed it) and was able to actually cook a meal from scratch - just a cheat's chicken pie, using ready made puff pastry, chicken breast strips browned off and a tin of chicken soup.  I even enjoyed eating it and we have the other half for tonight.  Which is just as well, as I am wrecked again today - legs and arms like chewed string and no energy whatsoever.  I've finished my book and will continue with the Geraldine Brooke's book "Horse" which my friend Gay has kindly loaned me.  

Anyway, here's Malvern.  It seems such a long time ago now!



Bargain Hunt were doing their Christmas filming (just a little bit early!)


I had to walk myself away from this old pack saddle.  I was tempted though . . .


Stuffed Capercaillie anyone? I have to say, he's past his best and probably died of old age!


An unusual copper mould.   I wish I could have indulged myself - never seen this pattern before.


See the African throwing knife with holes in?  I knew it was a rare one and bought it for Keith (at a good price). He was over the moon with it.  I can't normally buy Militaria for him as I don't know much and so many fakes out there.  This though, is not Militaria but he likes tribal weapons.  I had a gut feeling about and I was right.  Should be worth over twice what I paid for it.


Various items here . . .


You could even buy a gipsy vardo (brand new I think).

I have a small collection of costrels (they were used to take beer or cider to the fields in harvest time, and kept cool tucked in the depths of a thick hedgerow. I was tempted by this one, but had spent a lot of money by this point, so walked away.

Contents of someone's stick stand . . .

An old hexie quilt.

You may remember I have a soft spot for Widdicombe Fair collectables.  This caught my eye, and at the price (a bargain it turns out) I thought I would enjoy it for a bit.  It dates from 1921 and when I researched it, sells at around £125!!! You will surmise correctly if you are thinking I paid VERY much less than this for it :)

Right, the sofa is calling me.  Thank youfor all your support.




14 comments:

  1. Good to hear of Keith's improvement today - and you must have a rest day ! I'm being very strict!
    Love the Widdecombe Fair print. And will look out for the Bargain Hunt near Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have rested. We watched 3 episodes of "Body" back to back. It's very good - cleverly done with 4 different time periods and the same dead body!

      The Widdicombe Fair print is lovely. Of course, what other people ask for things and what I am likely to get vary wildly - it's not the sort of thing to sell quickly either, so I think I will be enjoying it for a good while!

      Delete
  2. Glad to read that Keith's health is improving, but you must sit and rest as much as you can. I've managed to get out in the garden and done some cutting back, and sweeping up lots of leaves - which is a losing battle. Also sorted out 2 of our bookcases and taken a huge pile to the book bank at the tip. Beef stew and crusty bread for tea tonight and hoping for enough left to make a pie for tomorrow. Take care. Love and hugs Gill Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had a quiet day although the lady came about the Hospital Bed, so that took 3/4 hr or so. It's being delivered in a weeks' time, which gives me time to try and move things around in the yellow bedroom (where it's going) to make room for it. I think that's called no peace for the wicked! Oooh, beef stew! Could just murder that. May get some stewing beef tomorrow now . . .

      Delete
  3. So happy to read about Keith's improvement......Now you just need to get better. What interesting things at the fair.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are slowly improving. I am so relieved that Keith's chest isn't full of gunk any more. The Fair was very enjoyable - all sorts of goodies there this time - folk trying to offload before the winter months when - let's face it - no-one wants to stand in a field in winter weather, trying to sell "stuff"!

      Delete
  4. Just catching up over the last few days. I’m glad Keith is feeling better today. You must take time for yourself and rest. Don’t worry about giving the children a list of odd jobs. They sound like great kids and will be glad to know they are helping. We had Covid at the beginning of October and I’m just about catching up with routine jobs. P has pulled a muscle in his leg and is hobbling around with a stick for the last couple of weeks. Physio is coming later in the week so we will see what that brings. The visit is a follow up from a visit arranged by Parkinson people - local NHS physio via drs surgery is weeks away. Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been reading every afternoon - such an indulgence. Danny, Emma and "I" are here overnight Friday into Saturday so I am hoping he will sort the doorbell out (new batteries needed but I can't get the cover off it) and plant my new rose. I am thinking of putting it in a planter - which will need moving from the end of the main garden. It needs emptying first and fresh compost putting in. Too heavy for me to move.

      Hope that the physio can help P. His leg must be so painful. I see our getting over Covid will take a bit longer yet, going by your time scale. Physios here don't seem to do hands-on manipulation any more. Just give you sheets of exercises!

      Delete
  5. The copper mould and the quilt has my heart. What beauties!
    KJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi KJ - isn't it gorgeous? The hexi quilts are regularly spotted at Fairs.

      Delete
  6. Glad the photo thing worked, systems aren't always the same. Loved seeing all the collectables. I'm currently looking for a captain's chair but that's only in Aber or Mach so it might take a long time. I can work my PC but all I do on my phone is make the occasional call and check out the WhatsApp for my walking group. Most of the time it's turned off so nobody can phone me. As others have said make sure you get plenty of rest and don't overdo things. (Oops, I sound like my mother.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so grateful as I'm not technically minded! A technical duffer in fact. I happen to have a Captain's Chair here, amongst our "spares" (Keith has a thing about chairs and we have too many). I could get it to Aber via Tam, if that's any help. If you let me have your email address in a comment, I will copy it down, delete it so you aren't inundated with spam, and send a couple of photos.

      Haha - my phone is nearly always turned off as no signal in the house unless I go upstairs.

      Trying not to overdo things, honest!

      Delete
  7. I think the saying that fits more is no rest for the weary. But really, do try to rest. You need to finish healing. It will be good to have that bed fixed finally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spot on there Celie. If it's broken up into small bits of work and rest, I can do it. The bed should help Keith as it can be raised/lowered and the foot and head altered to be at angles.

      Delete