Friday 22 December 2023

A Holey Greenhouse

Just to start the day off well, I looked out of the window and FIVE sheep wandered across our yard.  Remember we had trouble with a mama sheep and her lamb one year, and then another lamb the next.  Well, this is several generations of the blardy things so now I need to put a nail in the overgrown-by-holly original ancient gatepost and chain it shut to keep the blasted things out . . .  Finding nails in Keith's workshop should be fun, as he never labelled his tins of screws, tacks and nails so it is a case of opening each one to find what I need.  He of course, knew where to put his hands on everything . . .



Sadly, when the glass was unpacked for my greenhouse, one box was badly broken.  I was meant to have checked to see everything had arrived undamaged within two weeks of delivery, but of course a) I had Covid and was totally exhausted - couldn't have cared if everything was smashed back then and b) a pack of glass is very heavy to lift and I couldn't have moved them about easily.  I phoned the supplying company (who sell them to the shop I got the greenhouse from) and they were very prompt BUT have said that the delivery people are responsible and given them a bill for £130 + VAT worth of glass . . .  I will phone today and see what is happening - hope I don't get landed with that bill.  Already putting up the greenhouse is the same cost as the actual basic greenhouse itself and it's not finished yet!  I've told Keith, just as well we're only doing it the once!  So I now have a greenhouse, but with some gaping holes, and I still can't use it . . .  I wasn't going to pay him to put up the staging either so will slowly do that myself when I have time.  A trip to the Tip is called for today though, to get rid of the broken glass and the soggy cardboard boxes and cement/mixer bags.  

        We had the confirming letter from the Consultant about the change of medication yesterday and it said instead of the ones he'd been taking 3 times a day - this is a slow-release dopamine and a higher dose of blood pressure pills and this seems to have helped him.  He got upstairs no trouble yesterday and even got up to go to the bathroom in the night.  He is definitely MORE mobile.

        I'm now waiting for the District Nurse to come.  She said she'd be here between 8 a.m. and 8.30.  I had to set the alarm.  Then of course I woke (3.15 is an old friend) and was still awake two hours later when I heard Keith about.  I had to wait until I could help him back into bed - 6 a.m. then and at 7.30 the alarm went off when I was in a really deep sleep . . .  District Nurse still not here and it's 9.15 . . .Update - she just phoned, and after answering her questions, she doesn't need to come out. . . .

        Today I have prepping and freezing the sprouts to look forward to, and another head of broccoli, and the Braised Red Cabbage.

16 comments:

  1. Just catching up. It sounds nightmarish BB. Leave the Tip run to one of the girls or ask your neighbour. I also wanted to let you know that S is now prescribed six levadopa each day. He takes two at 7am (takes them in bed with a cup of water otherwise he would not be able to get out of bed - the effects kick in quickly), then one at 11am, 3pm, 7pm and 11pm and we are strict about these timings as we are both aware how the effect of the drugs wear off. At the moment he is falling asleep at the drop of a hat. We had a pre-Christmas lunchtime gathering here on Wednesday and he was on good form but as soon as everyone had gone he was out like a light. T arrives today and I will be interested to see what he thinks about S having not seen him since beginning of November. I think making a sitting area for K upstairs with Radio, TV, his kindle, books, the boy cats for company sounds like the way forward for now. Thinking of you often BB. I know this sounds really selfish but right now you need to prioritise your own health and well-being. Just think how you could have lovely quiet evenings on the sofa with Lulu and Pippi reading or crafting while watching Poldark on Netflix - that’s what I do. We’ve also been watching the excellent series on Julius Caesar (K would enjoy that as it’s very bloody) and we really enjoyed ‘Some Like It Hot’ the other evening too. Sending love and moral support. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, just a wee bit demanding on body and soul. I took your advice and left the Tip run - light stuff so no trouble to me and I was going next door to the Tip anyway, but I was so low this morning I just thought sod it. I also thought sod it about sprouts and red cabbage. Tomorrow will come.

      You and Danette (and others) are right about me prioritising myself but it isn't very easy as since we had Covid, Keith's routine has changed completely and he's spending all morning in the kitchen, and mealtimes take anything up to an hour and if he's tired I have to help him. I never get a free evening as he wants to go to bed around 8.30 and then again, that can take up to an hour to get him settled if he goes "via the bathroom" so to speak. Will look out for the Julius Caesar series. Some Like It Hot - gosh, that's a trip down memory lane. We used to enjoy that. We are still giggling at Brassic - Sinead Cusack was in it recently (cameo role) and the Series 6 - Brassic Christmas - has Imelda Staunton in it, having fun with her part.

      Delete
  2. Good to hear that Keith is a little more mobile.
    Dang sheep!! I had some from a neighbouring farmer when living near Porthmadog...had to be hauled back over ever year and one year they knocked over ten foot of Drystone wall.
    Farmer had to pay for the dykers mending that as he wasn't keeping his sheep in properly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More mobile this morning but he's been sat all afternoon so I'm worried about getting him up to again as he lost 3 hours sleep again last night.

      These sheep have an intimate knowledge of how to get out of their field when the grass gets low . . . and the farmer continues to leave the hole in his fencing. Bet the farmer who had to pay for the drystone wall repairs wasn't best pleased - but his sheep, his fault!

      Delete
  3. Great news about Keith's mobility. I always admire people who freeze ahead.......it must make life easier on Christmas Day
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just done it for the veg - left the 2nd head of Broccoli another day and it yellowed, so just as well I did the first.

      Hoping Keith will continue to be more mobile.

      Delete
  4. Glad Keith is having a better day today. Just come in from delivering the last of the cards and it's berliddy cold! Be thankful you don't live in Iceland where auto insurance for hitting a sheep is for something like to the fifteenth generation. Happy Solstice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers x'd for bedtime still. I have some Jacquie Lawson cards to send but am finding it very hard to gird my loins for that one. Very glad not to live in Iceland if that's the case!

      Delete
  5. All other issues considered--getting up early for an appointment that doesn't come about is enough to make anyone feel ill-used. Years ago in Vermont the man who moved in next door [the property that had been my grandfather's] 'collected' animals--several sheep, turkeys, dogs, a steer--all who wandered as he was oblivious to Robert Frost's dictum that 'good fences make good neighbors'--it was a trying time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert Frost had it right. At least I now now where the nails live . . .

      Peeved about the lack of early appointment coming to anything as I really did NOT want to get up, but then Keith was stirring anyway.

      Delete
  6. Good news about Keith's mobility. A sitting room upstairs sounds like a good plan. That is something I love about blogging. Commenters can be brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope it lasts as long as possible. Yes, all you friends on here are brilliant with ideas and support.

      Delete
  7. Really hope the medication changes and the improvement in mobility is a permanent thing.

    Sorry about the greenhouse glass, hope the weather doesn't do any damage before it's properly finished

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to hear that Keith is a bit more mobile. Keeping my fingers crossed that it continues. I would definitely leave the tip run for later when you are a bit more rested or have help.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear about the holey greenhouse! So glad the change in K's medication seems to be helping and I hope he still feels a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are having an awful time of it ATM, I can only hope you manage to come through this. Must admit I don't label anything either so Keith is not the only one. I'm in the process of moving my greenhouse, my son and I moved an old razed flower bed all 1.5 tons of it plus the sleepers around it. I've now laid out part of the new base and should finish it after Christmas when I will dismantle the greenhouse and move it all. Fair play to you building yours

    ReplyDelete