Sunday 24 December 2023

Merry Christmas

 The Oxen

Christmas Eve, and twelve of the clock.
“Now they are all on their knees,”
An elder said as we sat in a flock
By the embers in hearthside ease.

We pictured the meek mild creatures where
They dwelt in their strawy pen,
Nor did it occur to one of us there
To doubt they were kneeling then.

So fair a fancy few would weave
In these years! Yet, I feel,
If someone said on Christmas Eve,
“Come; see the oxen kneel,

“In the lonely barton by yonder coomb
Our childhood used to know,”
I should go with him in the gloom,
Hoping it might be so.


Our family start arriving soon, so I shall sign off for a couple of days and enjoy the time together.  Thank you all for your support throughout the year, and for putting up with my moans. No White Christmas here - just the expected grey skies and rain.

I make no apologies for putting up one of my favourite Thomas Hardy poems, as I do every year.

16 comments:

  1. I love that poem, it reminds me so much of Dorset where I lived as a teenager, about a mile from Hardy’s home. Enjoy the time with the family and relax with Keith - let them do all the work! Christmas wishes to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to you and Keith. My mother always told the tale, when she was a girl, that her uncle who had a farm across the road, used to come and get them just as they were getting ready for bed. "The cows are remembering!" and they'd all pull on their boots and coats and trek across the road with him and a light to go into the barn, where he would recount the story that all the cows remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have a lovely peaceful and safe Christmas. Much love to you both and you family. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending Warmest Wishes for A Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year
    Hope you have a lovely family day. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely. Have a good time with your family x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for posting that. I'd forgotten the pictures that come to mind prompted by Hardy's words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a lovely Christmas with your family. Hugs Gill Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas to you and Keith and enjoy the time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing you & yours a wonder-filled Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wishing you a good family time xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. A happy Christmas to you and your family. I hope it is peaceful and restful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Christmas to you dear J x x x may it be a gentle one for you. Dear Thomas Hardy had such a way of painting pictures with his words didn’t he xx Danette

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is comfort in childhood beliefs. No doubt little "I" will bring some magic of childhood for everyone. Wishing you and yours a peaceful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful lovely writing by Thomas Hardy. Merry Christmas !

    ReplyDelete
  15. A Happy Christmas to you and your family. That is a lovely poem and one of my favourites too. I have a feeling it was read out on Carols from Kings on Christmas Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely poem. Enjoy time with your family. I do hope you say 'yes' to all the support they offer. I do enjoy reading your blogs - they're "real life" blogs, and you are fully entitled to vent here when you want to. We're with you every step of the way. May 2024 bring good times, good medicine, good decisions and many happy days.

    ReplyDelete