Tuesday 13 February 2024

Small and light . . . and something a bit weird!

That's what we say in the trade - and then there are dozens of people struggling with huge coffers or stone bird baths or garden benches or marble figures!  The best thing Keith and I saw at Malvern was a chap struggling back to his car with the most enormous (and hideous!) painting.  We actually followed him as we were intrigued as to the size of vehicle he had.  Sniggers had to be supressed when we strolled past him trying - from every angle - to cram the painting into a very small 3 door saloon.  It did NOT want to go in and we left him scratching his head and doubtless regretting his purchase . . .



Just a bit of fun. A wire sheep.


These make the most lovely noise when they move - 4 pigs windchime.


A wooden flax heckle, slightly different form to ones I've had before and what I think is a small wooden posser for delicate clothes.  Suggestions on a postcard please :)


Made by someone's daddy . . . a sweet little toy boat. I need to do a careful repair on the top of the sail so that it stays in place.


Small early Victorian (late Georgian?) mould by Wedgewood.


I can see these ending up in a cafe somewhere.


Aren't these candlesticks adorable?  Made in Edinburgh.


Telling myself - I can't keep everything!!


That also applies to this lovely Winstanley cat.


And then there was the slightly weird piece, which isn't old though looks like it should be Medieval.  Perhaps like a Medieval take on Measles!! though I think they are meant to be flowers.  It is different anyway and a good talking point :)

"I" is in bed, Danny just left to drive all the way to Carmarthen to pick Emma up - shan't rest until he gets home.  "I" and I made an Apple Sponge today, and we were both very tired by late afternoon.  Lulu has taken a shine to her (and you know how fussy Siamese cats are about who they like and who they don't) . . .


Hasn't Lulu gone dark in her winter coat?


Variation on cat in a box - cat in a chest of drawers!

Right, I am going to sit down and rest now.  Had to do battle at the GP's again today as they got Keith's Thyroid medication prescription wrong yet again - as the Dr never wrote down an increase months ago.  This has happened several times now so Not Happy as we are having to take the last 25s in the house as completely out of 50s.  I got the non-Mensa receptionist today . . .


11 comments:

  1. I love the piggy windchime, bet it makes a delightful noise, Also the cat candlesticks and the tea and coffee signs. Aren't cats funny? Sheva definitely prefers me to OH, but that could be because I feed her, and she is also a fair weather cat, won't go out in the rain at all, and on Sunday she came face to face with Harvey next door, fluffed up to twice her size, yowled and growled at him and saw him over the garden fence. Hope you manage to sort Keith's medication out, aren't some Dr's receptionists like small Hitlers. Hugs Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is always one receptionist.....we have a great crew except for one....

    ReplyDelete
  3. medication is such a chore these days. Recently my repeat failed to show up, human error to blame for it not getting processed. Then it was discovered by moi that recent changes had not been actioned. What is going on???
    Thanks for the giggle, but now we will never know the fate of the painting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such cute cat items. Those candlesticks are adorable.

    Hope the medication is sorted now.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cat sculpture. And I love that lulu has taken a shine to little I. Houdi took such a liking to William and so very quickly. It helped the two of them through a tough transition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore the sheep. Lots of interesting finds. I had a good chuckle about the man, his car and the large painting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really great, fun finds! I love the piggy windchime, just could not imagine it. Pretty sure the redware lady's spots are flowers not measles. Candles sticks are wonderful. And yes, the weight of flea purchases is always on my mind, plus size even tho I have a large Jeep.

    My most fave thing is that wonderful sailboat! Your dad made it!? Did it float?

    I saw that wooden mallet as a masher [of turnips for some reason].

    LuLu is so sweet w I, Siamese are usually so unattached. The apple cake ---yum. Bet the house smelled delish. I made cornbread on this snowy day.

    MDs and receptionists/ Rx/ = a pain and a bane. I did battle w one yesterday. The Rx was to be delivered today [nope]---tho i admit it did snow. But more likely they never refilled it, bec the pharmacy didn't text me. I'll run out and be immobile w pain.

    Thanks for fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The candlesticks are very cute. Everything is lovely. Pippi seems to be very much your cat, so now Lulu has claimed herself a buddy too! I wonder if that man had to cut the painting from the frame and roll it up! It sounds like you had a good visit to the antique fair. Would love to go there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You’d like the museum here in Bridport. My little town was built on rope and net making , flax was grown as a crop here by N’s grandfather. As it became more mechanised the older tools were not used as much although many a cottage still had the women in it still doing it ‘ the old way’ even if their men had gone to the ‘new factory’. I went to a talk on the industry at the local history group and it was fascinating.
    The most gruesome was of course that Bridport rope was used for all the nooses…. and referred to as a ‘Bridport Dagger’
    So pleased to see you had a nice day out and about and also that Keith is showing an interest in the restoration of the chest. Are there any really small things he would be able to polish/work on - on his lap or in bed on a tray? It would be lovely if one of you could sit with a notebook with him and scribble down some of his thoughts, he has a lot of knowledge and it would be wonderful to have it saved x Danette

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had some lovely finds , especially the candlesticks. I reckon the posser/masher would be a good kitchen roll holder!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the cat candlesticks, and I'm sure I used to have a wirework sheep like that many years ago. They are very tactile aren't they. :-)

    ReplyDelete