Tuesday 20 February 2024

Thrown in at the deep end

 Well, when grannies say much as they love their grandchildren, they are glad to be able to give them back, I know understand exactly what they mean.  My goodness, an enjoyable couple of days, but little ones want every second of your attention.  Yesterday I got off lightly and we did some gardening together, and then went bird watching - well, we took my mobile which has the Merlin bird ID app on it, which counts as the same thing.  Today I started off tired and decided to do the grocery shopping as the weather forecast for tomorrow sounded diabolical and I think we will all be glad to be housebound :)  Keith's been "off" again today so we got him up to bed early before Danny left to pick Emma up.

Pippi says Amazon delivery bags are for CATS.


So "I" and I went off to Llandod.  I parked up and "I" and I went to look in the charity shop - of course she found a little Barbie light up handbag (50p) so she came home with that.  I got more Gutermann thread for sewing the quilt - thought I would have 500m this time - which cost £8.40!  Hopefully that will last a while and I shall buy it more cheaply online another time or get it when I go to Doughty's in Hereford next (the quilting shop). It's nearly £2 cheaper there.  Then round Aldi with two shopping lists and a little person who hoped for Pizza and Ice Cream and Biscuits - and more that wasn't on Danny's shopping list!   Then to Tesco where I managed to concentrate on my shopping list and at least I knew where to look for things in there - Danny's stuff had had to be hunted down and was not on my usual wavelength of purchases.  "I" was very good and obedient and funny, but tiring.  We had a car picnic with a Tesco lunch deal - I had the sarnies and she had crisps and a Rainbow smoothie drink.

Once home we had fun as she is learning her alphabet and Danny had wondered if she could perhaps learn to spell her name before going to school.  She copied out the letters a bit haphazardly but her "A" is excellent.  She's a quick learner.  She made me laugh when she came and told me that "Pippi is dreaming of mice"! which I thought pretty clever for a 4 yr old.


I've just finished watching a film Danny and I began watching last night (I bowed out 45 minutes before the end because I was tired).  It's very good and on Netflix, and I can recommend it though it is a bit mind-bothering - think modern Hitchcock thriller.  It's called Last Night in Soho.  Look it up and see if it's for you, but although it's spooky in a way and provoking, it's really well directed.  Has Terrance Stamp, Diana Rigg and Rita Tushingham in it too.

My Amazon delivery contained new rotary cutter blades, and a set of 4 different sized square quilting rulers - a good investment I think.

Trying to stay awake now until Danny and Emma get back from Carmarthen.  Raining again out there, so a pitch black night, and I hate to think of them on the bit of road round the Sugarloaf.  I will sleep well once they are safely home.

16 comments:

  1. So true! We love having our 4 year old and 2 year old grands, but we are just exhausted after they go home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was so good though, and even helped me carry the shopping in! When she staggered in with a four pack of fizzy water I was amazed! Even I find those heavy!

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear you have new rotary cutter blades--I buy them in multi-packs in case one gets a nick or seems dull. At that, I never change them quickly enough, thus always amazed when a new one slices so easily.
    When my grandchildren were small I sometimes had one for a full day--they were good company but, as you say, a bit tiring as the interaction is demanding. A four year old that can go shopping and behave is a miracle these days.
    Pippi does look as though she's about to drift into dreamland. I'd like to reach through the screen and stroke her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't know myself as the other one was like trying to cut fabric with a butter knife!
      I was quite amazed that she was so well-behaved - obedient I think is the word! She even carried things in from the car for me.

      Oh, you would love Pips. She has SUCH character. Lulu is a terrible thief and up on the table the minute food comes out. Gabby's friend (who has their litter brother and sister, both her colouring) reckons dad could have been a Snowshoe Siamese. Possible.

      Delete
  3. You are right, oh so exhausting. Simply doing things together is a great gift for a small child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What children need is love and attention and learning. I am a natural teacher, so enjoy telling her about nature and wildlife, and cooking and whatever subject comes up.

      Delete
  4. Little "I" sounds very sweet but they are quite exhausting. I remember looking after Tom my oldest grandchild and the mess he created. He would build 'house' of chairs laced around with wool, and my spinning wheel would be given top speed spins with roars of laughter.
    Patchwork is quite expensive isn't it? I have to curb my need to keep working on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely exhausting. I stopped to chat to a neighbour up the road, and as I drove away couldn't for the life of me remember where the window winder was for that window! Brain had turned to mush!!

      Patchwork can be very expensive, especially if you are buying Liberty fabrics. I am more Doughty's Own Budget range! Someone will do well from my fabric stash and patchwork accoutrements when I pop my clogs.

      Delete
  5. We have had our 7 year old granddaughter to stay for 3 days - now exhausted. She is learning to crochet, (I can't), but they have an after school club, so took her to Hobbycraft for wool and hooks, then diverted into Asda where |I bought her shorts and a top in the sale and a book. We also went to the cinema. Yesterday she went for a walk with Grandad, then Mummy came to fetch her. Love her to bits but.... Hugs Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, three days is a bit full on isn't it? Grand that she is learning to crochet (I didn't until I was 56). I bet you both had fun choosing wool and hooks in Hobbycraft and then clothes and a book in Asda. "I" has SO many clothes and they fill all of one very big chest of drawers and a small one. More clothes than me, that's for sure.

      Yes - 'tis good to hand them back :)

      Delete
  6. I love hear about your delightful relationship with that delightful child. Exhausting it may be, but you are making memories that will last her whole life. Well done, gran!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get on well and she is very biddable. Plays her mum up a bit at times - don't they all? But once put in bed, and a story read, she will now stay there and no climbing in mum and Danny's bed in the middle of the night and starfishing them onto the floor :) I hope she will remember these days in later life - I am sure she will remember making the Cat's Tongues.

      Delete
  7. As an ex ks1 teacher and frustrated grandparent ie. none, my mind is brimming with ideas to use when shopping with I. How about a mini shopping list with a few items (words and pictures) that start with a letter that has the same sound as in her name? It may sound early but I was brought up in a bohemian unstructured way and we all began school able to read at 5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When our children went to their Category 1 Welsh speaking school, they were taught primarily in Welsh until they were 8. Parents were told not to Iteach them to read and write in English. Red flag to a bull and mine were fluent reading and writing in English long before 8. I am interested in the bohemian unstructured way of teaching them and love your idea about the shopping list (Ice Cream will have to be on it!) and I can think of things which start with the other letters too. That would keep her occupied. The only thing she tried to get was a magazine, "Oh Danny said I could have one". Well, Danny didn't write it on the shopping list was my reply.

      Delete
  8. By the way, when I wrote a capital I down, she said I has a dot, so I explained that names started with Big Letters and this was a "Big I". She is brilliant at Jigsaws and I joke we have her name down for GCHQ already!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can just imagine how tiring having a little one around would be, however I know you wouldn't trade this time with "I" for anything.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete