Sunday, 19 July 2026

A Malvern Day

This is what 4.45 a.m. looks like . . .


 I'm struggling to stay awake now.  I have had a long and hot day, lots of driving (the diversion is still in place, over a year on as more works needed to shore up a 2nd roadside landslip.)  I was up at 4.40 a.m. and reached Malvern at 7.25.  Joined the queue and went straight in.  All sorts came home with me, but nothing very unusual or expensive.  It was so hot (for me, that is, 25 deg) that I only went round 1 1/2 times outside, had a wander through the Avon Hall and then walked the length of the livestock sheds across the middle, as by that time I was spending the money I'd put aside for the plumber!  


A colourful stall here.




The table above, with the deisn along the side was I think late 18th C, but it looks to have been stripped . . . It has very lumpen legs too.  Possibly a church table?  Someone was negotiating on it anyway but I wasn't close enough to hear hid price when he said "I couldn't take less than . . . . for it." 


Ochre corner cupboard.  I suppose it has "a look" about it, but no-one wants corner cupboards these days.

I always used to treat myself on this stall, but they also sell at Hay Market, so I can give myself a treat there sometime.  Too hot to plant anything right now.




This was the lady who had those lovely quilts last time.  She has a very good eye for nice things.









8 comments:

  1. In that last picture, is that a doll house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, is my honest answer. A very posh one if it is! I think it was a scale model of a building - looks American to me.

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh I spy some beautiful quilts & textiles & samplers there in your photos. I have been reading of your heatwave & I can imagine how Hot it was there this day. Loved the photos - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would love to sell some samplers. I can't touch them pricewise by the time they reach the Fleamarket as everyone knows they are worth £100+.

      Delete
  3. Looking at that dolls house I almost wanted to take up the hobby again but all my tools have gone now. What a lovely show of things to buy, the temptation must be great. Thelmax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine you miss yours. My only dolls house was made of printed tin! Not quite the same league :)

      Delete
  4. Plenty of distressed bits there, funny to think that years ago no one would have wanted them in that condition.
    I liked the samplers too and those bags in the first photo - made from carpets?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now it's much of the actual antique bits of furniture which are ignored in favour of the dross. A strange world we live in. I think they may be made from the carpeted type of bag that camels used to wear?

    ReplyDelete