Monday, 27 July 2026

Note to self - gardening can HURT!

 

The fields and hilltops are all so brown.  We had a little rain but not enough to make a great deal of difference.  It is cooler though, and we have clouds in the skies - so pleased to see them!  It is so awful seeing the wild fires in Scotland, North Wales (and nearer to home, at Kington, about 15 miles away), Torvaen (S. Wales),  Yorkshire, Derbyshire etc.  Then Spain and France - well, imagine being told to grab your animals, children and just DRIVE.  How terrifying.  So much wildlife will have been killed too and people's homes and livelihoods destroyed.  Yet there are still idiots who in such a draught, decide it is a good idea to have a bonfire, or take a portable BBQ to a nice dry heather-clad hill . . . And then there are the arsonists . . .



It was cool enough to get out in the garden yesterday.  I weeded the first 4 feet or so of the new raspberry patch, removed two very dead raspberry sticks (they never had much of a root on to grow in the first place, having come in a bundle).  I replaced these with the two "yellow" - actually red! - raspberries I found at the little car boot sale in June.  These are well rooted and well grown and have fruited.  This is the first one planted (at the back).  I was trying to get out all the criss-crossing grass roots, which have grown through the membrane under the paltry amount of stones which need topping up.  It was a struggle getting the bark out of the bag, and it was coming out in big "flakes".  I did some weeding in the yard too, and now this morning my back is complaining bitterly!!  This is a two-Panadol backache . . .

By means of a rest, I wrestled with the destruction and re-construction of two new pillowcases to accompany the Heatwave quilt.  Should have been straightforward but have mucked up the 2nd so need to get busy with the stitch-ripper in a minute. 

 
 This is the border on the first pillowcase.  One way of using up the extra blocks I'd made.

Podcast listening has been good - all four episodes about the 100 Years War, and yesterday it was a brilliant one about the East India Company, and now I am half way through Trafalgar.  These on The (Rest is) History of Britain.  

Tonight's tea is already made - I threw a Kedgeree together last night.  Enjoying it with fresh runner beans from the garden.  Despite copious watering the Scarlet Emperor are threatening to turn tough and seedy, so are being picked small.  The others (White Lady) are doing better.  I'd not grown them before.  

I need to get organised for next Saturday's Fair today.  Tam and Rosie here overnight on Wednesday as she has the Dentist in Llandeilo on Thursday so I will have to look after Rosie whilst she's in there.  

For some reason I don't really remember Keith acquiring that red sheathed Kukri.  The kids did and wanted me to keep it as they remember him telling them about the deal (swopsy for Army clothing Keith had).  Probably Brecon Militaria Fair then.  Instead I will have to sell an alternative item . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment