I had my annual NHS eye check up yesterday. It was deemed that there was a small change in my reading glass prescription, so we agreed to have new lenses put in my nearly-new specs to save money buying another pair of frames. (Nearly new as the current prescription on them wasn't comfortable for me - I've been wearing my 4 yr old glasses/prescription as perfectly good and comfy as a pair of old slippers!) Anyway, there was me thinking, at least that will have saved some money, and then the receptionist worked out the cost, and it was £183!!! I nearly fell on the floor in a swoon. £46 odd came off as the NHS charge for the check up, but even so . . . How would I like to pay? I thought grimly, the word like didn't come into it! I was so shocked I said I would have to pay it in two lots, and used my credit card for £50. Then realized it was the old one I couldn't use now I'd done a balance transfer, as this had a 28% APR! I was kicking myself all the way to my sewing class and back. Tam arrived at home just as I got back and checked out the details on the bill, to find I had been - mistakenly - charged over £48 per lens for scratch proof glare proof glass. They are reading glasses - I don't even use them outside! So I went and cancelled everything, got a refund and now have to wait for my specs to be returned as they went off with the courier. I will get them fettled elsewhere, as I have my prescription.
Tam and Rosie are here, which is lovely. It is cooler and was spitting a bit with rain just now (not holding my breath for a good rainfall though everywhere desperately needs it).
My 12 cucumber plants in the polytunnel seem to be a batchelor community as despite regular watering and pollinating by me with a paintbrush, there is just ONE cucumber.
I managed to get the other child's Windsor chair oiled last night and will polish it today. The head fell off the little paintbrush I was using and after I fished it out of the bottle of Boiled Linseed Oil, I put it on the edge of the path to fix back on today. Just been out and something has eaten it!
Rosie got very tired last night - I went upstairs with her to clean her teeth, and then she went and sat in the middle of the guest bed. I left the room for literally seconds, only to hear a yell and a big thump as she had bounced off the bed head first onto the floor. I was literally just out of the door! Then downstairs she was rocking on her rocking horse and went too mad and it reared with her and she fell off and landed on the back of her head and was inconsolable for about 5 minutes. I was very relieved to see her ok this morning.
So, a quiet day is planned today. "Glanma" needs it as much as Rosie!
I checked Rightmove yesterday to see if my b-in-law's house had been put on the market yet. It had, and indeed was sold. Looking through the photos of it empty, with all the furniture out and carpets removed, it looked shabby and dated (1970s house). Rod had been it since new and put in a lovely big fireplace with a faux-fire and a swimming pool which my three put to good use. The end of an era.

No comments:
Post a Comment