Thursday 24 May 2018

Banana Jam




I suddenly remembered today I had promised the recipe for Banana Jam.  The one that follows isn't the one I used to use (damned if I can find which book it was in), but it sounds very similar.  Enjoy:

BANANA JAM

Juice of 3 limes
Juice of 1 orange, topped up with water to 175 ml (6 fl. oz.)
1 tsp ground cinnamon (I don't remember this, so omit if you wish).
500 g (1lb 2 oz) granulated sugar
seeds of one vanilla pod (or 1 tsp vanilla bean paste) (I don't remember this in my recipe either)
a pinch of salt (for some reason?)
6 large ripe bananas, sliced fairly thin or mashed (I would definitely mash them)
50 g (2 fl oz) dark rum (this definitely wasn't in the recipe I used, but go for it!)

Makes 4 x 340g (12oz) jars

Keeps for 3-6 months

Put the lime juice, orange juice and water, cinnamon, sugar, vanilla and salt in a preserving pan over a moderate heat.  Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.

Add the bananas and cook gently for 15-20 mins until thick, stirring often (be careful as this jam has a tendency to catch).

Add the rum and cook for a few minutes more, then bottle in hot sterlized jars.

Variation:  For a banana-chocolate jam, swirl in 100g (3 1.2 oz) chopped or grated dark chocolate when the jam has been cooked.

Taken from Mary Tregellas' "Notes from the Jam Cupboard" which I thoroughly recommend.




10 comments:

  1. I have to say that this is a jam I won't be trying......ever!..... a bit like runner bean chutney ...which is supposed to be OK but doesn't appeal!
    I'll stick to strawberry :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Actually, the version I made which doesn't have the add-ons that this does, was really nice. Just like bananas. Strawberry is lovely though, but blackcurrant is my favourite.

      Delete
  2. Thank you! I will definitely be trying this - those ingredients have made my taste buds dance around in excited anticipation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have different tastebuds - you can have Sue's share as well!!

      Delete
    2. I rarely eat anything sweet, but cooked banana is a real weakness of mine. It calls to me.

      Delete
    3. Ah. In the same book was a recipe for banana icecream . . . I made a Chocolate and Banana cake today too. Do you want either recipe?

      Delete
    4. I have scoured my shelves and found 'Jams and Jellies' by May Byron - just checked it and there is a banana jam recipe which requires bananas, juicy pears and lemons - could that be your recipe? Chocolate and banana cake sounds wonderful, but so does the icecream, so yes please but only if you have the time. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I wouldn't mind your Chocolate Banana Cake recipe, and the banana ice cream sounds lovely. The jam...not so much.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always good to have another recipe for using up over-ripe bananas! Thanks so much. Will definitely be trying that it sounds rather tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like heaven to me, I make banana icecream but eat it semi frozen. Chocolate and Banana cake sounds lush.

    ReplyDelete