Saturday 28 July 2018

A recent day out in Hay-on-Wye


Some recent photos from a walk around Hay.  Most are self-explanatory.  The house part of the Castle is currently undergoing restoration (I bet that will cost a pretty penny), so you can't walk past it or in the grounds.



I can recommend Barbara Erskine's novel, Lady of Hay, which is a wonderful read and will drag you into the early part of Hay's history - although the castle then was on the motte and bailey by the church (back of the Livestock market) not this one.



I have several of these lovely baskets, the smallest of which I use for bits of shopping, and the larger ones for craft bits and pieces.  One had all my quilting bits to take on a Wednesday for my class.  These are being sold at the old Cheese Market.



These lovely house plants are on offer in our friend Kath's shop.  She has a selection of period ceramics and glass too.


Something I'd not noticed before - details of plaster design at the top of a pediment.



This is the Butcher's, which has a notice telling you exactly which farms the meats on offer were sourced at.  They make lovely pies too.


The Greengrocers.  I love visiting this shop in the autumn, when all sorts of unusual varieties of local apples are on offer.


Clouds - but no rain.  This has happened a lot recently, but last night we had a thunderstorm and heavy rain for a little while.  Now it is raining again and tomorrow it is meant to pour all day. We hope so - we may risk a deeper bath if so - at the moment it is about 2 inches of water and after the bath, it is used to flush the upstairs toilet . . .  Any left over water when we have been out for the day, goes to water the young orchard or the vegetables.




When our kids were small, this would have been called a "hairy house"!!




The view from the top of the car park.





Have a lovely weekend.

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos from Hay-on-Wye. Some time ago after reading one of your posts on Hay I dug out my old paperback by Barbara Erskine - I really must re-read it - re-reading Voyager by Diana Gabaldon at the moment - I had forgotten how long her books are!!!!

    Love those baskets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi RR - Diana Gabaldon's books are a challenge aren't they? I would love to re-read all of her novels but at the moment the crime novels are stacking up! Enjoy Lady of Hay when you get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely place. Is that where they have a book fair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have a Literary Festival each year Jill. I've been a couple of times when there were speakers I wanted to hear. It is still the "town of books" but less booksellers about these days. It's a lovely town and we have lots of friends there.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous photos of a place we have yet to visit but is on our plans to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it won't be too long before you can visit Serenata. It really is a lovely place in beautiful countryside.

      Delete
  5. Glad to see that the castle is being worked on at last.
    I used to sell my work (ceramics) at the weekly market and was lucky to have a stall in the Butter Market. Its still a good market...Tom with his antiques,the French Baker, The Sock Man and the Organic veg stall...amongst many others too good to miss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't been to the Thursday market for ages, but were there for the Saturday Flea again in the Buttermarket. Hay has such a lovely atmosphere and we have a lot of friends there.

      Delete
  6. Such a wonderful post today. I loved it.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were good company parsnip. Glad you enjoyed the walk.

      Delete
  7. I hope to get back to Hay someday. I was there once, but my hosts were only interested in getting ice cream. I only had a pitiful 20 minutes to look at books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ONLY 20 minutes for the books? Blimey, that must have been one shop and away . . . Hope you can get back there without the ice-cream hunting friends soon. It's a lovely town to explore.

    ReplyDelete