Sunday 8 July 2018

Hotter than Hell in there . . .


Looks lovely and cool doesn't it?  That was in April though.  This is the July heatwave and believe me it is hotter than Hell in there at the moment.  It had been 44 deg. C all week (111 F in old money!) - yesterday it was 48 deg C (118 F) and nearly unbearable, especially when you have compromised breathing.  There were big cold air blowers in the 3 doorways and I was glad to be close to one, and we had brought fans from home to blow behind the stall.  That was the only thing which made it bearable.

Anyway, I'm not going to push my luck today and intend to sit in the doorway where it's cool and airy, with a good book and only approach my stand when I have customers.  


Anyway, it IS a lovely setting, even if I have no intention of my normal strolls round to stretch my legs (too hot for that today).  I shall have a wander outside with my camera instead.

14 comments:

  1. Do you think folk will come in to have a look in that sort of heat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't stay long Pat, and they were suffering nearly as much as us.

      Delete
  2. Agree about the heat, I'm not really enjoying it, fair skin, blue eyes and menopausal. I walk the dog very early but it was already 30 degrees an hour ago. I shall stay in the house now and watch some tennis. Hope people turn out for the fair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzie. I'm dark haired (or was!) and tan easily but it's just TOO HOT for me. Can't do anything once it's past 8.30 ish. Happy to stay in our nice cool house, though even upstairs is getting warm now.

      Delete
  3. I'd forgotten you were at the Botanical gardens this weekend. All I can say is PHEW!
    Hope you get buyers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There weren't many today - can't say I blame them for hurrying through. Did better yesterday though. Just glad to get home and cool down and be able to breath.

      Delete
  4. You certainly have grit and determination! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Icouldn't have coped without my husband anyway. He stayed put to allow me to sit in the cool.

      Delete
  5. Makes you wish they would turn on the sprinklers. I hope you had a successful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that would have been BLISS. We took a little bit today, but not enough to make it worth the suffering!!

      Delete
  6. Hope the rains come for you soon, the water shortage sounds dire! And then that heat, you are very brave.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brave? or STUPID?!!! That's the trouble, when you have paid good money for a two day fair and the weather is like this, do you cut your losses? For the amount we took yesterday, it would have made sense to pack up Saturday night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is wrong with the weather. The UK is cool, wet, lush, green and filled with flower !
    Not hot !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not this year Parsnip! This is rare mind - the last time the UK had a summer like this was 1976, so we've waited a while for the rerun!!!

    ReplyDelete