Wednesday 4 July 2018

Morning walk by the river




I was up early (as usual) yesterday and decided to have a walk along by the river whilst it was still nice and cool.  As you can see, the river is VERY low.  In fact, it's been several years since you could see the old cast iron stanchion which used to be the central support for the bridge, until it was damaged by floods and replaced with big concrete pillars.




Low enough indeed for 3 trees jammed in the narrow canyon of the river to be totally exposed and I am just waiting for someone to decide it's worth harvesting them for winter fuel.  A few years ago, that might have been us, but we realize our limitations these days.  Below is another section of tree.



Common Cow Wheat.


Betony.


I think this is Common Spotted Orchid.


Sun Spurge.


Part of the pebble beach (now considerably enlarged from the days when our kids used to skim stones from it).


View upstream.


. . . and downstream.

Sorry, low on words as we have to go into town again this morning, and then get sorted for the big Antiques Fair this weekend . . .

12 comments:

  1. Lovely photos, it seems so strange for Wales to be as short of water as everywhere else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed! Many of us in the rural areas have their own water supply too, as the mains doesn't reach us, so we have to pray our supplies hold up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a joy to see such refreshingly cool photographs, so different from the baked fields of barley around here. I would love to go on a nature walk with you, it would expose my woeful ignorance, but I would learn a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wild flowers I know Elaine, having been interested since I was 6 yrs old. Dad got me the Observer's Book of Wild Flowers (I still have it) and I learned a lot from that. I can recognize a lot of birds, but fall flat on bird calls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so desperate for rain I know a couple of people who are spring fed or have bore holes and they have dried up, we helped some one out with some IBC tanks we are on mains but depend on rain catchment for livestock but 7 weeks and not a drop has fallen so we are hauling water across the fields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of you this past week or so Dawn. We have a spring for our water supply, but it is marked on the map (as a permanent one - it feeds a stream too) and we once drew 2,000 galls off in a day when we were having the inglenook chimney lined with volcanic rock dust. Hopefully we will get by and let's pray for some rain soon.

      Delete
  6. I love that View Upstream photograph BB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a classic. Looks different almost every time I see it.

      Delete
  7. Lovely photos of the river, and I learnt some new wild flowers, you are so lucky to live in such a gorgeous place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Thelma. We love it here but for house-buyers, they seem not to notice how lovely it is - or that we have a pretty garden, or an orchard and soft fruit or good outbuildings or well-tended land. Let alone the house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos. You know a good picture is worth a thousand words...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Chip. That's definitely the case. Some scenes just have to be captured in a photograph.

    ReplyDelete