Tuesday 31 July 2018

A relaxing day

Today was the last day we had to work manning the shop where we have our Unit, as from today we no longer have a Unit there.  Time tends to go very slowly when you are there, and in the winter it is pretty chilly, so we have no sorrows over leaving!  Anyway, today I finished one book I was reading and began another, started on some x-stitch - just a little project sent to me by my cousin (it was one belonging to her Aunt (or g. Aunt) Ethel, from Gibralta if I remember rightly).  Anyway, it was a rose and bought on a visit to Mottisfont Gardens near Romsey in Hampshire, and long-term followers of this blog will remember that I went there with my best friend Tricia in the summer before she died of Cancer.  So this little x-stitch has a special poignancy for me.




I got wet in the rain when I went for bread not long after we arrived - I should have spotted the HUGE black clouds heading our way.  I did linger in one of the charity shops, looking for a skein of embroidery floss to whip the edge of the x-stitch project and although I didn't find any, I did spot a lovely nearly-finished needlepoint cushion front with the wools, chart etc and bought that for £3 and a lovely holly-green scallop-edged damask tablecloth (brand new) for £2.  That will look lovely over an undercloth on one of my tables at a Fair.




I dried out beautifully later when I went for a walk with my camera and took lots of photos at St Dingat's Church in Llandovery.  I went out again after that as I had seen some lovely juicy blackberries hanging over a wall and they were too much of a temptation to ignore!



There is probably an entire post which could be written about this man, Sir John Gardner Wilkinson.  For the moment you will have to content yourself with THIS LINK or this one, and here is Wikipedia's take on him.  Obviously a fascinating man.



He certainly had quite the grandest tomb in the churchyard - or at any rate, the longest epitaph, as there were some rather smart angels too . . .



Nest Pryse-Rice was born in 1896 and died in 1921.  Her mother Margaret was President of Carmarthen-shire Red Cross and Nest nursed at the Auxiliary Hospital in Llandovery and then the Nannau Hospital for Officers at Dolgellau throughout the years of the First World War.  She was only 25 when she died.



Her mother's gravestone.






Quite a novel burial memorial in the form of a bird-bath (?!) set rather like a Neolithic burial chamber.  One of the Pryse-Rice family.  Then, below, even more practical, a sundial  memorial . . .


The family lived at Llywn-y-Brain and the "Rice" part of their name shows a connection between the Pryses of that estate an the Rice family of Dinefwr.



At one stage (late Victorian times) there was a fashion to have coffin-shaped slabs over the actual grave.  I remember seeing similar ones in a Llanstephan churchyard.



But the ones that pull at your heart strings are the tiny children's coffin-shaped stones . . .



And this poor little chap, only 10 months old . . .



St Dingat's Church, Llandovery.

14 comments:

  1. Remember doing that sort of thing at primary school. I did a kangaroo. Rubbish though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really interesting. A period of my much younger life was visiting grave yards. We have many round here where we live now. So far I have not visited. Perhaps I should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be fascinating places. I was taking photos today of different styles and designs of/on gravestones . . . I haven't inflicted the others on you all!

      Delete
  3. Now that is a proper churchyard, I could spend hours there. Lovely charity shop finds, enjoy your cross stitching. Sir John sounds interesting - and there must be a tale to be told about his relationship with his wife, why he left her without sufficient funds to live on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was there for a good 20 minutes I think, before I thought I ought to get back to the shop. I have been x-stitching this evening whilst watching tv - haven't done that in SO long. There are a couple of books about him sso I may see if I can find one in the Reference library in town.

      Delete
    2. Why he left his poor wife almost destitute has been bugging me. I see some research coming on! Perhaps they didn't get on at the end?

      Delete
  4. I've never seen those coffin shaped slabs in this area, is it a Welsh thing?
    They look a bit gruesome as if someone forgot to bury the coffin!
    I ought to do a churchyard tour when I visit the churches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps they are - never thought of that. I will try and check it out. They do look a bit gruesome, I have to say. A churchyard tour is always interesting - have done lots down the names when on the family history trail . . . as our kids will testify!!

      Delete
  5. I always find old graveyards fascinating. So much history. Here on the Canadian prairies we don't have anything earlier than the 1800's so when we were in the UK I spent lots of time looking through graveyards.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some graves from 17-something here, but pretty worn. History in Canada may be a lot more recent but still very interesting.

      Delete
  6. We sometimes visit graveyards where family members are buried, but I always leave in a somewhat somber frame of mind. I, like you, feel saddened by the deaths of the young children. The angels in your photos are lovely, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The childrens' graves do touch at your heart strings. My g.g. grandmother lost all three of her children in the space of a week (two on one day) when there was an epidemic in her Devon village . . .

      Delete
  7. So sorry for the late comment -been a hectic week with having electrical work and a new boiler :( The churchyard looks so interesting - you can find so much when you take the time to look around and read gravestones etc.

    ReplyDelete