Friday 25 January 2019

New kid on the block, and hand sewing


The cat with no name.  I have been watching the progress of this tom up our valley for the past two months - alternating between Annie Dol-y-Bont's and almost to the A40, heading in both directions.  WHY they have to turn left over our bridge is beyond me.  They just seem to be programmed to keep turning left!  I thought I wasn't feeding him until I noticed him driving Miffy away from her food.  That's the trouble with her being an outside cat and not coming indoors to be fed.  I am hoping his testosterone will take him off in the spring . . .



I couldn't progress with the Baltimore quilt until I had material for the next border which is incorporated in the stars and as there was still a sale on at the patchwork shop in Llandeilo, I bit the bullet.  This gorgeous Liberty print matches many of the other colours in the prints I have used.  30% off made it not too expensive.  I also got a speckly grey-blue for the outer border and the "windows" around the applique blocks.


Shhh.  This work in progress is being hand quilted each evening (I LOVE hand quilting). I can't show you the entire design as it is a Christmas present for next year for a family member (or two, I may split it).  I just love the jewel colours - the perfect antidote for grey January days.  Most of the loops will eventually be outlined.




Above and below, one of the 4 Baltimore panels for the current quilt.  I've made three but have to draw up and cut out a further one.  I'm using a simple small blanket stitch to edge it all.  Not as satisfying as the gentle running-stitch of the quilting, but therapeutic all the same.

Now, I need to dash as we need to pack for the Botanic Gardens Antiques Fair and then set up later on.


9 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Jennie, new kid on the block. Animals always know where to come here too except I have been banned by OH. I do keep an eye on the local lost lists and also on the Cats Protection sites locally though just in case I come across one that can go back home. Your secret projects look amazing as does the latest quilt. I managed to do a bit more to the needlepoint cross stitch last night as well which I am quite chuffed about. Tricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WELL DONE with your crafting. I find it so relaxing and rewarding. I hope you can soon finish it and give us a "ta dah" moment!! Cats just seem to find their way here to us . . . It was ever thus.

      Delete
  2. I love your hand quilting!!! I am doing the same on my quilt, it is taking a very long time though.

    Your even blanket stitch reminds me of my mother's stitching. She would finish all our clothing by doing a blanket stitch on all the seam edges.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie. I find it very therapeutic. It does take a while, as you are finding with your quilt, but worth it in the end.

      My mum wasn't very good at sewing but her mum was - it must have skipped a generation and gone straight to me!

      Delete
  3. Those jewel colours are beautiful. Can't wait to see the finished article but you probably won't show it if it is to be a present.
    Thanks for the e mail. Enjoy your week end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will probably have to be after Christmas before I can show the entire thing! The colours are cheering me up no end anyway.

      Delete
  4. All are beautiful.. We too have a roaming stray. Attacked our cat a couple of times. Not seen for a while now....

    ReplyDelete
  5. The trouble is, I can't feed the other two out there and NOT feed him! Sigh. . . Hope your roaming stray has gone to live somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hand stitchery is so tidy! I have come to an enjoyment of hand work in recent years, but find it is rough on neck and shoulder muscles. The colors in your current projects resonate with me, especially as they lend an illusion of warmth.
    So many wandering and unwanted animals in the world. We can't feed and house them all, but our tender hearts yearn over them.

    ReplyDelete