Saturday 19 January 2019

Some applique today

Yesterday's sunrise.  This is the view



I originally intended to get back to decorating down in the downstairs hallway today (painting the last bit of stone wall white), but wasn't feeling 100% so I decided to start on the 4 applique panels for the latest quilt (well, wall hanging really).  Two with light green stems and leaves and 2 with dark.  It has taken me ages to draw round all the bits to be used, then iron them on the back of the fabric, then carefully cut them out and carefully align them on top of the pattern before removing it and ironing them all into place.  However, good progress has been made and I've done 3 out of the 4 needed.  These are 16" panels which will be 14" when sewn into the quilt.



I can't remember the last time I did applique but it was just the occasional animal when the children were small and I was decorating something for them.  I am uncertain whether I will satin stitch these in place on the sewing machine or whether I will edge them in a very small blanket stitch (as suggested with the pattern).  This idea is growing on me as I love to hand sew.

When I've done the last one of these I need to cut the tiny squares for the star blocks in the wider border next out from the applique panels, which are "framed" in a neutral shade (possibly light grey) to match the final border.  I have yet to get this fabric and the fabric for the border that the stars go on.  Next week . . .

Meanwhile, I have had tuition in how to use our Patchwork teacher's Gracie long arm quilter.  I have to say, it IS an acquired skill, but I seem to be slowly getting there with it.  Once I get past the practicing stage, we will load my Random Quilt onto it and I shall attempt not to bodge it too much . . .  We will be using a creamy coloured thread which should recede into the background enough to hide the mistakes (and yes, there are bound to be some!)


12 comments:

  1. Goodness, you are busy. I feel quite lazy doing jigsaws and reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, each to her own - January is a quiet month for us (though life is about to hot up with some Fairs on the horizon) so I can spare a little time to sew at present, and I'm on a roll with it. Enjoy your new jigsaaw - just the sort of picture I like and the one I have started has similar flowers/cottage scenery.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Jill. I am quite pleased with myself over them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once you get the hang of it
    You’ll be hooked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done it before, but it was SO long ago (25 years) that I had lost confidence a bit. I've started sewing the first panel with small blanket stitch using 2 strands DMC embroidery floss.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful job you are doing with your applique! I love hand stitching, too! Have fun with that long arm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chip. It's all coming back now. The hand stitching is something I can do in the evening. The long arm is a learning curve but I am slowly getting there.

      Delete
  5. This is going to be lovely BB. I used to do a lot of patchwork and quilting before I developed the shakes (benign essential tremor) so I can appreciate just how much work has gone into this so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat. You must miss the sewing and curse the tremor. You will have to check out the beautiful quilts from Hannah Hauxwell's estate (in the early February sale at Tennants) and let me know how lovely they are.

      Delete
  6. Just lovely!! This is going to be a gorgeous quilt once done.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie. It was in the "I'll do that later pile" but somehow rose to the top!

      Delete