Yesterday's sunrise. This is the view
I originally intended to get back to decorating down in the downstairs hallway today (painting the last bit of stone wall white), but wasn't feeling 100% so I decided to start on the 4 applique panels for the latest quilt (well, wall hanging really). Two with light green stems and leaves and 2 with dark. It has taken me ages to draw round all the bits to be used, then iron them on the back of the fabric, then carefully cut them out and carefully align them on top of the pattern before removing it and ironing them all into place. However, good progress has been made and I've done 3 out of the 4 needed. These are 16" panels which will be 14" when sewn into the quilt.
I can't remember the last time I did applique but it was just the occasional animal when the children were small and I was decorating something for them. I am uncertain whether I will satin stitch these in place on the sewing machine or whether I will edge them in a very small blanket stitch (as suggested with the pattern). This idea is growing on me as I love to hand sew.
When I've done the last one of these I need to cut the tiny squares for the star blocks in the wider border next out from the applique panels, which are "framed" in a neutral shade (possibly light grey) to match the final border. I have yet to get this fabric and the fabric for the border that the stars go on. Next week . . .
Meanwhile, I have had tuition in how to use our Patchwork teacher's Gracie long arm quilter. I have to say, it IS an acquired skill, but I seem to be slowly getting there with it. Once I get past the practicing stage, we will load my Random Quilt onto it and I shall attempt not to bodge it too much . . . We will be using a creamy coloured thread which should recede into the background enough to hide the mistakes (and yes, there are bound to be some!)