Saturday 5 January 2019

Well THAT was a complete waste of time!


On Friday we had a phone all from a friend who runs a small car boot sale/fleamarket on a Saturday.  He'd been badly let down by 4 people cancelling, he could do us two tables for the price of one if we could help fill a gap.  As we'd arranged to meet a friend there later we thought, for £5 we might as well try and get rid of some of the junkier stuff from the junk room.  So we packed the car, got up at 6.30 and spent the morning waiting for customers.  Perhaps 25 people in 4 hours, after which we packed up and came home.  Since I had plenty of things I could have been doing back here, it was a lesson in listening to my gut reaction - Keith had been suggesting we do this one just before Christmas but I told him it was a waste of time.  We'd done one there and sold one thing for £10 (to another of the traders there).  Yesterday we took . . . £6.50!  We shan't be going back!

I woke around 6 a.m. this morning and have the morning planned - I'm going to work on my Random quilt whilst the Archers Omnibus is on.  I want to get a goodly walk in, and pop down and see my smallholding friend who lives 1 1/2 miles away - I may combine the two and walk down to see her - the steep hills will be a challenge but do me good.

I have letters to write, more decorating to do, and I want to carry on sorting out the junk room and anything which I deem not worth keeping stock-wise will be going off to auction, and the auction boxes can go out in one of the stables.  I am also going to scrub the hall floor, which looks in dire need of it!

So, not much exciting happening, though I may make a start on my lovely felt goose that Gabby gave me for Christmas.


7 comments:

  1. Sounds to me as though car boot sales are quite unrewarding work this time of the year. There is on in Bedale each Saturday morning. I have only been once as they are really not my thing, nut it is always packed, especially in Spring when there are lots of plants for sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's an absolutely dire time of the year to think of doing a boot sale (the local one in Carmarthen isn't on in January), but we wanted to help our friend out. Never again though! Boot Sales are a good place to get plants for the garden - I've bought (and sold!) lots that way.

      Delete
  2. Hi BB, wish I could wake up properly each day at that time. Somehow or other I always end up going back to sleep. This colder weather I think. Looks as though you have got a lot to deal with. Sorry about the flea market not being up to snuff. Its probably not being advertised properly. Hope the junk room sorting moves on another step. Horrible grey day here today. Catch you soon. Tricia xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, 6.30 a.m. is nothing. We regularly get up in the middle of the night (3.30/4 a.m.) for Malvern, as it is such a long drive, and we are used to early starts. We do struggle staying awake much past 9.30 p.m. these days though! We didn't expect the Flea/boot sale to be GOOD but we were hopeful of £20 or £30 and some more stuff leaving home!

      Delete
  3. Getting sorted then! But nice to just sit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, doing well. Did lots of sitting today as I was sewing . . .

      Delete
  4. You always want to back a friend, but....boot sales..and even some craft fairs..can be soul destroying

    ReplyDelete