Sunday 6 January 2019

Quilt-making, 60s music and tears . . .



As you can see, I have been busy today.  I had lots of these blocks made and sewn into pairs from the summer, but finally got around to piecing them into the top today (which will be king size, for our bed).  Many of the beautiful fabrics were sent to me by Sharon (Morning's Minion blog).  I was awake early so thought I might as well start making them into 4's, and then I got onto a roll and got all this done (probably 2/3 of the top).  So I'm quite pleased with myself this evening, especially as I got most of the piecing accurate.  These bigger 16-piece blocks aren't sewn together yet, but I hope to get some time with them tomorrow (I have decorating to get back to though), and it will also go to class with me on Wednesday. I want it finished SOONEST and then I can get started on my Heirloom Quilt, using the fabulous William Morris fabrics that my daughters bought for me last birthday.


Whilst I was working on this I was playing the 60s music CDs I was given for Christmas and singing along.  A couple reduced me to tears though, as they were strong reminders of my best friend Trish, who died over 2 years ago now. Knights in White Satin was the one that really did it - we played that over and over and over in her bedroom when we were 15 or so, and played it so much that the black vinyl record was almost white from use.


My favourite fabrics are the centre of the first full block up from the bottom (above picture) and to its right, the lovely hollyhocks fabric (one of Sharon's).


After being stuck finishing the girls' quilts for so long, this is an absolute delight to work on as it is such a simple initial block setting and no sashing to slow me down. 

In the middle of the sewing, we popped down to our smallholding neighbour N's, and caught up with all the news, and then I walked back - pushing myself up the steep hills (ours and the v.v. steep one from N's place).  I was amazed I managed them without getting too out of puff.

Right, this won't do.  My bath is calling me.

9 comments:

  1. Hi BB, that looks glorious and will blend beautifully with your new bedlinen. I can see why you like the hollyhocks fabric it is fab. What a lovely selection of fabrics and a beautiful quilt in the making for you. I know Trish is still with you - looking out for you. Nights in White Satin is a favourite song of mine too and is a wonderful song to release too. My oldest friend I have known since I was 11 and she was 10. We used to spend many an hour listening to music of the time, I think it was the Osmonds, David Cassidy, The Eagles and the Bay City Rollers. We both still have the albums that we had when we were growing up. So I understand completely. People teach us to love them but we never really get lessons on letting go (not that we ever really do I don't think - but it becomes more bearable). I am chuffed you managed the walk as well as I know you have struggled recently. I have an echocardiogram tomorrow at the hospital one of the routine tests that the Consultant ordered. Once that is done that is all the testing done for now. He is just trying to keep tabs on me. Good luck to him on that score but he seems to have the measure of me. Hugs to you sweetheart and enjoy working that quilt it is going to look delightful. Take care sweetie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your hospital appt. goes well today Tricia, and all positive. I'm chuffed I managed the hills - really power walked up them too, though I did have to stop half way on ours and a couple of times on the v.v. steep hill from N's smallholding, but it's good to be finally just about over that virus (though I am STILL blowing my nose a bit and haven't got my full sense of smell back either.)

      The wall quilt isn't one of mine - I bought it at a Fair.

      Delete
  2. P.S. I love the wall quilt xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sensational fabrics! You worked hard - and still found time to do other things. Music can whisk us back in time, I am sorry for your loss and pain, but sounds as though there were sweet memories too.

    Enjoy that bath - you have definitely earned it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some gorgeous fabrics in there - others more of a makeweight from my stash. The next quilt will be all made from all bought in specially fabrics that my daughters bought me, bless them.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a really nice day. Apart from the hill.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make myself do hills Jill. I would prefer to walk on the flat, but need to burn some calories and keep myself ticking over.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. The simplest quilts - just plain squares, or hand-sewn hexagons are simples! If you want to try, see if there is a quilting group in your area. You'd meet some lovely people too. We're frequently hooting with laughter at our group!

      Delete