Monday 18 March 2019

Disaster in the kitchen

I think I'm not paying attention.  Or I'm tired.  Or I'm having blonde moments when I'm already grey!  Anyway, after my recent debacle with the Plum Muffins and the top oven, I had a really STUPID episode yesterday afternoon.  I wanted to make a recipe I'd found the other day - Black Forest Bakewell Tart.  I downloaded two recipes for it, but one called for Marzipan and the only Marzipan I had was rock-hard from being in the fridge and was over 2 years out of date . . .

Anyway, when I came to make the base, I discovered I had no ground  almonds - which is bizarre, as normally I keep finding jars and half-used packets of them every time I open the food cupboard.  But no - the cupboard was bare of them this time, so when we took Danny back to town, I popped into the supermarket and got what I needed.

However, it was late afternoon before I got around to making the top, and by then I WAS feeling a bit tired, but plodded on with it.   I spread the tin of cherry pie filling over the base, which I had cooked on top of a greaseproof lining in a flan dish.  I could see the amount of cake mix I had made called for a bigger tin, so, bright spark that I am, I thought I would take the  flan base, peel off the greaseproof, and put it in my deeper tin.  It was going well until the greaseproof stuck and then in one laughable moment, the base broke into three pieces, two of which, well-covered in gluey cherry mix, fell face down on top of the cooker, and over my sleeve . . .  Perhaps it is a message from the Gods to Stop Baking!!  I managed to rescue it and looking at the finished cake, you'd never guess.  


Here is the Jus-rol recipe (you can of course use Jus-rol pastry for the base) and I will add the recipe for the base which I used, afterwards:


BLACK FOREST BAKEWELL TART
  • 50g cocoa powder
  • 100g plain flour
  • 100g ground almonds
  • 150g soft butter
  • 125g caster sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 50g dark chocolate chips or chunks
  • 400g can cherry pie filling
  • 1 tbsp flaked almonds
Method:

  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan oven) Gas Mark 4. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface until big enough to line a 22-23cm round deep loose-bottomed tart tin. Line the pastry with foil or greaseproof paper, fill with baking beans and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and cook for 10 minutes more until sandy and golden. Set aside.
  2. Make the filling by putting the cocoa powder, plain flour, almonds, butter, sugar and eggs into a big mixing bowl. Beat with an electric whisk until smooth, then stir in the chocolate chips. (Tip: I never pay extra for bags of chocolate chips, but just chop up some of Keith's high-cocoa dark chocolate).
  3. Spread the cherry pie filling over the tart case, then spoon the chocolate sponge mix on top. Scatter over the flaked almonds, then bake for 35-40 minutes until the sponge is risen and firm. Allow to cool completely in the tin.
  4. I got the base from this recipe - see LINK HERE for gorgeous illustrations to it and the blog where I found it. 
  5. BLACK CHERRY BAKEWELL TART
  6. Ingredients (makes one 23cm tart, serves 6-8):
    For the filling: 
    125g ready-made marzipan
    50g unsalted butter, diced
    75g caster sugar
    2 medium eggs
    120g ground almonds
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    A thick layer of black cherry jam
    1 tin of black cherries, halved and patted dry
    30g flaked almonds
    Icing sugar for decoration

    Step One | For the pastry: mix the butter and sugar together until creamy. Add in the 1/2 egg and mix well. Add in the flour and ground almonds until combined and it starts to form a dough. Place the dough in clingfilm in the fridge for two hours (or 10 minutes in the freezer and half an hour in the fridge), as it’s easier to work with when chilled.

  7. For the pastry
    60g unsalted butter
    60g caster sugar
    1/2 medium egg, room temperature
    125g plain flour
    15g ground almonds

  8. Step Two | Once chilled, preheat oven to 170 fan / 190C / Gas Mark 5, remove from the fridge and roll out the pastry so it covers a 23 cm tart tin including the sides. Press into the tin carefully as it’ll be quite thin and is prone to ripping, just cover over any holes with pastry that overhangs. Cover with baking parchment and pour ceramic baking beans (or any dried beans) over this and bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned.

  9. Step Three | Meanwhile, roll out the marzipan, but just enough to cover the bottom of the tin, and layer over the base once it’s out of the oven. Cover this with a layer of black cherry jam and scatter the black cherries evenly over this.

  10. Step Four | For the filling, mix together the butter and sugar until creamy, add the eggs one at a time and mix thoroughly. Add the ground almonds and finally add the baking powder. Layer this over the cherries evenly. Sprinkle some flaked almonds over the top if you like. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the top is very lightly brown and it has a spongy texture that springs back when you press it. Allow to cool for 20-30 minutes before serving. Keep in an airtight container for several days.
I have to say, whichever one you make will taste WONDERFUL.  I had one small piece and the family can eat the rest!



No comments:

Post a Comment