Tuesday 25 June 2019

Time to bite the bullet




Yesterday was a day off for us.  The weather was kind although too humid for my tastes - that always affects my breathing.  We set out to view another property, along the Welsh Marches proper this time, in an area we hadn't ever visited.

All I can say is that the area we drove through and eventually stopped at was just breathtaking.  The house was in a fabulous setting, beautifully done up and we could move in without needing to do anything bar add a bigger shed outside for storage.  A smaller house than absolutely ideal, but enough to stop us in our tracks and think, what would we have to jettison to downsize that much?  I mean, how many bits of furniture do we really need?  We went through our house this morning and easily 2/3 of what we have could go.  Along with half a million books and 9/10 of my wool stash . . .



We went for a little walk up the track behind the house, and it didn't disappoint.  Cat paradise . . .




More lovely views.


Trackway back.


A neighbour's roses.


Then the drive back through lovely countryside with wonderful views everywhere.


Both this and the other house we have seen (which Keith prefers as it is larger) are contenders. Our house still hasn't been put up on the Agent's website so I shall phone them this afternoon and see when we might expect it to go on.  Of course, this is all academic as we could languish on the market . . . but one lives in hope.  You are probably shaking your head and thinking, why don't they wait until they are under offer?  Well, sensible though it might be, we like to know what is out there and explore the possibilities of new areas and deciding just which compromises we would be prepared to make.

I had some heavy duty dentistry this morning (though it wasn't as bad as I had feared).  He drilled through a molar crown to investigate a possible infection brewing in a blocked? root canal.  I have had it cleaned out, X-rayed twice, a dressing put in and the crown patched and don't go back until August.  I am giving myself an hour or two off this afternoon to settle down with a good book.  Then I need to get a steak and kidney casserole on in the slow cooker as Tam arrives at teatime to stay for a few days.  I have shut the door on the ironing mountain . . .

14 comments:

  1. LOL! Great job on shutting the door - ironing can wait...HA! Have a great visit! I am very envious of your beautiful scenery! Annster's Domain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That area of the Welsh Marches is just so beautiful.

      Delete
  2. The countryside looks beautiful, anywhere along the border south of Shrewsbury is wonderful.(not that I know where you visited) Only downside is the distance from the sea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, seaside trips would not be regular affairs. I should imagine Borth would be the nearest although a friend near Ross always heads for Rhossili.

      Delete
  3. Hope yours sells soon then you can decide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do we Jill. It's up on the site now, and great photos with a good enthusiastic write-up. We shall see.

      Delete
  4. I do hope you get a seller soon so you can decide. I look online at houses for sale all the time in areas I would like to move to even though we still haven't decided where or when! Have not actually viewed one though although came very close recently with a local house I fell totally in love with. Sadly, I was so busy with stuff at my mum's house and getting it ready for sale I never got round to it and it has now disappeared off the market! Always good to know what is out there and keep an eye on prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have listed it on a couple of FB groups in this area where it may get interest too. What a shame the one you liked has been taken off the market. Perhaps it will come on again soon? Or have a word with the agent and see why it got removed.

      Delete
  5. It is good thinking ahead when one's home is on the market. When we listed the farm last year we immediately began looking at available properties. Something can look so appealing on a website and be impossible when viewed in reality. We drove to see anything remotely interesting before involving a listing agent's time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what we have always thought. However, some agents get sniffy and won't let you view unless you are under offer, which I always think is short-sighted as you could be under offer a week later!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. You and me both Pat. We HAVE to move, no two ways about it.

      Delete
  7. Fingers crossed Jennie, you have a lovely house but I think downsizing is a very practical move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Need must Thelma. We made this decision when the market was buoyant some years back, but had to wait for Danny to finish his schooling, and obviously couldn't move mum when she was in her final illness and bed-bound.

      Delete