Wednesday 30 October 2019

A beach walk at Pembrey


The Northerly wind had changed to the South-West on Sunday and after 26 hours of Biblical deluges we had clear skies and sunshine.  It was too good an opportunity to miss and we decided to go for a beach walk at Pembrey, on the Blue Flag Cefn Sidan beach.  Here is the view from the top of the dunes, looking towards Rhossili and Worms Head.



This happy chap photo-bombed me!!  He was having such fun,bless him!  There were lots of people exercising their dogs.


Looking S-W, and although it looks near enough to walk to, I am sure this is the Preseli hills in the far distance - I have a good zoom on my camera.  Without the zoom you can see the pyramid shape more clearly.  They would be a good 50 miles off . . .


This is the wreck of the SC Paul, originally an American ship, who ran aground here in 1925 with her cargo of timber which she had loaded at Halifax, Newfoundland.  She was bound for Dublin but on 30th December 1925 she lost many sails and anchors in severe gales and unable to avoid it, ran aground here. Although most of the timber was recovered,it is rumoured there are some very smart garden sheds in the Gwendraeth valley to this day!







Worms Head at the very end of the Gower.  It is possible to get across to it when the tides are right - get it wrong and you're marooned for a few hours!


I tried to have this photo as a header, but resolution not good when blown up.


These are the dunes - devastated and stripped during a huge storm surge around 2013.


Sea Buckthorn.  Can be made into juice, jam, and tea etc.  LINK here.

8 comments:

  1. I have never heard of sea buckthorn. I am googling it right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall making something drinkable (probably alcoholic!) from it on one of his programmes.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous beach and sea photos - it must have been a lovely walk. Love the Sea Buckthorn :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the 'walk' with you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a lovely walk and the wind was a lot warmer than the previous day. The Sea Buckthorn is very decoratie - I presume the birds like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely walk, and what a zoom on your camera.

    Sorry I must correct you on one thing (Canadian here). Halifax is in Nova Scotia not Newfoundland.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie - I copied a mistake then, from the page about Pembrey (I think it was a Council one!) Zoom is good and great for small objects too.

      Delete
  6. Such wonderful photos. I always enjoy your photo walks that I can go along on. Love the photo bomb !
    parsnip

    ReplyDelete