Saturday 22 February 2020

Brecon Museum Part I



We went to auction at Brecon yesterday, and afterwards we went on to the Museum.  We have been on the look out for the museum at Brecon to re-open for a long time now (it was closed for more than 3 years for a renovation and extension project.  It now has the Brecon Library under the same roof.  However, a severe lack of signage and the incorporation of an art gallery made negotiating it rather difficult - they definitely need signage - for a start to say which door leads to the bloomin' museum!!  The original glass front doors now shut to public, which seems daft . . .  It was very disjointed too - no flow to it whatsoever.


Firstly these wonderful Welsh love spoons formed part of the original Rural Life display.  I think they have more on display now and oh my goodness, the quality of this work is just amazing.  The ones with chain links (wooden) were all carved from one long piece of wood.


As well as the spoons there were pieces to fit in stays/bodice (whale bones later used) and some other more random pieces of craftsmanship - all given as love tokens.


A lovely old Welsh dresser showed a wonderful selection of Welsh treen items for the dairy and kitchen - all hand made of course.


A double and two single spoons.


Sarah Jones was very diligent as was Mary Thomas, below.



More lovely examples of craftsmanship - close up of the writing on the one on the left below.  I love the knife, fork and spoon on the one on the right!  SO cleverly done.




This reads" Mary Davies.  Coed (wood) Lland-y-vailay Vach.  March 1st 1643.  Amazing that it has survived, but I imagine it was much treasured and passed down through the family.


A wonderful puzzle? piece, again all carved by hand in such intricacy.


Miniature examples of  furniture.  Apprentice pieces or just the work of many winter's nights by the fire?


Stumpwork (probably 17th C looking by the design) - so the women's skills with a needle were represented too.


In the children's section - I used to have a little tinplate set like this - it was from the Queen's Coronation.


Some wee dolls - the one on the right looks a bit grumpy!


Finally, soft toys .

Off for a bath now as I am very sore from a visit to the Chiro today to put back my neck (it would be the arthritic part that fell foul of my fall) and lower back.  Hopefully it will remember where it should be tomorrow and bits will have stopped aching.

9 comments:

  1. Call me old fashioned but I love disjointed museums. I don't like to be told what to be interested in, so I like things jumbled up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, this was just a little "where the hell do you go?" Lots of brown doors with nothing on them bar a handle!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful patient work, and so decorative Jennie. You can imagine them working in the evening by firelight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating items in the museum and what skill the makers had. Thank you for the photos. I hope a bath sorts out the aches and pains.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You took us on a wonderful tour of the museum, it was a joy to see the craftsmanship and skill of the wooden exhibits. I wish I had room for a Welsh dresser in my little cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoy your trips to the museums. Love things made of wood and the detail is amazing on those items. In the third picture, the fourth piece from the left looks like a crochet hook. My favorite is the miniature chairs and table. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely selection of items - thanks for all the photos :) I particularly like the Welsh Love Spoons. I do hope you have stopped aching today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Signage is a very good thing.

    Lots of wonderful displays. Love the spoons.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such beautiful objects in the museum, thank you for the guided tour. I do hope your back and neck are a bit happier now.

    ReplyDelete