Saturday 15 February 2020

Gloucester Cathedral - Part 1


After planning to visit Gloucester Cathedral for the past year, various things have got in the way, including flooding.  Glad we didn't plan to go this weekend as Storm Dennis is out there causing havoc  and believe me, he is packing a lot more punch than Storm Ciara did last weekend.  We nipped into town first thing before he really arrived, but now we are glad to be hunkered down in the warm.  The river was rising as we came back along the bottom lane and I know there is a storm warning along the Carmarthenshire coastline.  We will see how bad things are in the news tonight and tomorrow.  Keep safe everyone, especially those poor souls up in the Calder Valley in Yorkshire and anyone living near any river.



This monument is dedicated to the memory of John Hooper, Bishop of Gloucester, murdered for his Protestant beliefs by Bloody Mary, as explained in the panels below.  An horrific day in Gloucester's history.







This is the entrance we went through to the Cathedral.





As you can see, the architecture is stunning.





A long row of Saints, but I don't know which ones.  HERE is the Wikipedia entry for the Cathedral which will give you its history.




Gloucester Cathedral is also famous for one of the Harry Potter films being filmed here (1st, 2nd and 6th) - you may remember that the Cloisters featured.


Such a sad memorial to the children of one family - some made it to their 20s before dieing . . .


Finally, before we set off my husband called me back into the house (I'd gone to start the car) and gave me a package.  A couple of months ago I had chosen a replacement wedding ring as my old one had worn very thin and sharp.  This Celtic triquetra design was the one I fell in love with . . . isn't it beautiful?  Many thanks to daughter G for her input . . .

15 comments:

  1. Evening BB, best place to be hunkered down. It is a bit viscous here as well. A few years back I went to stay in Gloucester for a week to nurse a friend who had hip surgery. I did not get into see the Cathedral so thanking you for showing. Your new ring is lovely and what better day than Valentines to receive it. Now that is romantic. Kepp safe all of you. Take care Tricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ring is very beautiful. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes. I seem to remember Mrs Norris hanging up in those cloisters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you have a guided tour or wander yourselves? I seem to remember that I particularly liked the Lady Chapel and Edwards 11 tomb. The cake was good in the cafe. We didn’t get time to go to the crypt so will go again sometime.
    How wonderful to be presented with your new ring on Valentines Day. I live in hope that my husband will find the one romantic bone in his body but not yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As we were short of time, we wandered but would like to have a Guided Tour in the future. The Lady Chapel has a wonderful atmosphere, and next time I will get a photo of Edawrd II's tomb -this time it had schoolchildren around it. The ring arrived the day before Valentine's Day but was as near as dammit!!

      Delete
  5. Yes a beautiful Celtic ring Jennie. What an elegant cathedral, and of course, as with all things religious, has a bloody history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it Thelma. The cathedral looks so much better for having had a clean on the outside (back to the lovely honey gold stone again). Ah, wars, religion and the pair together as often as not . . .

      Delete
  6. Another place I have not been to for years, it is such a wonderful building. Your new wedding ring is beautiful, such a lovely design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my first wedding ring was chosen on a "value for money" basis (e.g. it was 18 ct gold and half price - I would have chosen a different one if I'd thought more about it). So this ring is definitely MY choice!

      Delete
  7. You took us on a wonderful tour of the cathedral. We are once again hunkered down ready for the next onslaught of wind and rain. Beautiful ring. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you haven't blown away up there, mm. We wished we had paid for parking (instead of going to Tesco's!) so we had longer there. Next time . . . I keep looking at my ring - like when you first get engaged!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful ring.

    I loved the tour of the cathedral.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some more internal photos, and we intend to go again and visit the Whispering Gallery next time, and the Crypt. Glad you like the ring.

      Delete
  9. Wow! Super photos and what a wonderful cathedral. Thank you so much for sharing :) One day I hope I will get there as Gloucester isn't that far. What a beautiful replacement wedding ring. It is lovely. For our ruby wedding a few years ago I had mine enlarged - it was just too tight!

    ReplyDelete