Monday 17 February 2020

Glad we're on a hill

I think I can safely say that our next house is not going to be called "River View" . . .  We like Crickhowell and would like to live there (though it's a bit of a hot spot so not good value for money).  The poor souls living near the river had immense flooding - I've just been watching the Welsh news and they interviewed the pub landlord (that's the pub, on the juncture of the two streets where the bridge begins, I believe) - the flooding came up and into his upstairs bedrooms . . .  On other houses it was measured at 20 feet deep and nearly in upstairs too . . .  The landlord doesn't know if he will reopen for business.  This drone photo was taken after the water had subsided a good bit . . .


You can see the pink colour of the river and floodwater - good red sandstone soil in these parts.  I got the photo from our daily paper as I don't know if links to BBC online coverage will be valid for overseas followers.  We were very fortunate here - a day's inconvenience, should we have wanted to go out we'd have had to go the top way.  We did get out today and I took the following photos of the flooding in the Towy Valley.



These were taken from the car, as we drove along the A40 (I was not the designated driver I hasten to add!)





Then we stopped in the Museum car park and nipped across to film the Bishop's Pond which had joined forces with the flood water from the River Towy nearby.  Sorry that the light was so poor.



Then on into Carmarthen and these are the traditional flood meadows under water.  I hasten to add all these photos of our local flooding are normal for many winters . . .  This is farmland - though there are a couple of farms which are situated at the edge of or (one) in the middle of the valley.







Sometimes we too get exceptional floods - one last year meant the auction house and other businesses beside the river had three feet of water in them - not good news.  A couple are garages, another a woodworking business, one a builder's merchants etc.  One makes coracles, which is very appropriate . . .  Under the rules of the insurance apparently, everything - even bags of gravel or stone or floor tiles - are deemed ruined by floodwater and must go into landfill.  What a waste.  I believe the river was over again this time (saw water still in the car park of the garage on the far side).

My thoughts go out to those who have virtually lost everything . . .


9 comments:

  1. Totally agree BB. Must be horrendous for everyone. Glad you are safe. We got away very unscathed for this area due to the good network of rivers, cuts, dykes etc. which all go out to Thorney Toll (where the sea meets the river water) all part of the Fenland waterway system. Take care in any event. Tricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are safe where you are Tricia, with the water being swiftly carried away to the sea.

      Delete
  2. Oh poor Crickhowell. So many lives disrupted by these flooding events which are getting to be every year now. I was anxiously scrolling on Twitter last night as I live close to Upton on Severn which was nearly Upton IN Severn, it came so close to being inundated. I have never seen as much water as I saw yesterday surrounding Upton. So many roads are flooded and closed here yet still some idiots tried to drive down them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine - I hope you will not be affected by the floods (and worse to come?) - I just hope river levels drop sufficiently to cope with any fresh heavy rainfall. Seeing idiots driving into floods always raises hackles, though the chance of writing the vehicle off is high . . . Keep safe (and dry).

      Delete
  3. I am glad to hear that you are safe and dry after the heavy rain and stormy weather. I lived near Crickhowell for four years it is a delightful place, that is a huge amount of water if it was up to the second storey of a building, you have to wonder why it was so high. Was it really just the amount of rain falling or the result of land practices or something similar upstream. Very little land is 'managed' to soak up water these days so it all runs off and it has to go somewhere, sadly into peoples houses and businesses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to say isn't it? Talk of bringing back Beavers on some (Feeder?) rivers shows promise, with their damming water sources further back from the main rivers. I think a months' rain in one day is always going to end up going where it isn't wanted though . . .

      Delete
  4. I am so glad you are safe and no damage, my heart certainly goes out to all those affected by these horrendous floods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, too soggy to garden at the moment, although I did do some tidying up in the main pond, removing leaves and some overgrown pond plants recently. With the flooding - it seems it will get worse before it gets better with more heavy rain due . . .

      Delete
  5. I am pleased to hear you are safe but it is heart-rending to read of people and see pictures on the news of homes etc flooded. It must be devastating if you are badly affected. As you say if planning to move I would certainly be checking out flood risk on any property I was interested in.

    ReplyDelete