Sunday 26 July 2020

A castle walk


In the past couple of weeks, we have done 3 castle walks, but I have been remiss at putting them up on here, so I shall start with the most recent, when Tam and I walked around Carreg Cennen Castle, on its huge limestone scarp.  The car park was very busy - busier than we have ever seen it in fact.  Some tourists as well as more local folk.

Carreg Cennen farm keeps rare breeds - they have about 65 of these pedigree Longhorn cattle.  This is the bull with one of his girlfriends.  All the cows had forward pointing horns.

They mostly have Welsh Mountain sheep, with a few Balwen, Soay and Exmoor Horn sheep.



Looking up at the castle ruins as we climbed the trackway.


Lady's Bedstraw. This was used as a strewing herb in the 12th - 16th centuries (on top of a base of straw).   Others were Rosemary, Rue, Sweet Woodruff, Meadowsweet, and Wormwood and would act as disinfectants and some would repel pests.  Here's an interesting link:  https://bardgarden.blogspot.com/2014/06/strewing-herbs.html


Two of the four big cairns up on the mynydd.  We are planning a walk to them soon.




Through the gate and down the grassy path into the woods . . .




You half expect to see wood elves . . .


Black Mountain (the one we see from the top of our hill) was swathed in rain clouds.


Robin's Pincushion grows on roses and is caused by a tiny Gall Wasp.


The longer walk of 5 miles crosses this stream, but we did the short walk and just walked alongside it for a while before we reached the lane, with a Steep Hill!



From the lane you could see how the castle was literally built into the limestone scarp.  I hadn't realized this from inside the castle walls.



We crossed an empty field to get back to the castle grounds, and some more of the Longhorns were keeping watch.




Various views of the castle as we walked away.  The last one is from the lane going back down to Trap village.


I just about captured all four cairns in this photo but you will have to look closely - two are nearly off the photo to the left.

I have already had my morning stroll, to ease up my sciatica.  Now it's time to do some Domestic Economy - anything that may be noticed through the windows when we have our next viewing (outside only) in the morning.  It is due to pour with rain - deep joy!

22 comments:

  1. Many, many years ago I went to a Young Farmers' dance and spent the evening chatting to Bernard, who then went on to meet and marry the girl whose father owned this farm. (I had my eye on someone else, I think!) I don't suppose he'd remember me 45 yrs on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blimey - what a small world! How you might have ended up if you hadn't been distracted!

      Delete
  2. I have sweet woodruff in my garden - I love it. also love longhorns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have Sweet Woodruff along the lanes in places. I thought you would like the longhorns.

      Delete
  3. I have just been looking at someone else's post about the extinct Aurochs cattle of 3000 years ago. Those beasts look like close relations. They are in an ideal setting eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine the Aurochs was a heck of a beast - 18hh if it were a horse I believe. These chaps do look related. Perfect setting for them. They have the White Park Cattle at Dinefwr Castle. Those are like the ones at Chillingham only tamer.

      Delete
  4. Love the coos. What a walk. I am exhausted reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are big beasties - wouldn't want to pick a fight with one! I am glad I can still walk up a hill, even though my legs keep saying stop!

      Delete
  5. Looks like a great walk and a delight to see the cattle and sheep. Hope all goes well with the viewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely people, though they got their viewing times muddled up and we didn't see them until the afternoon. They are returning Saturday morning to see inside (just showed them mum's empty flat today). Finger's x'd as they have goats and do GARDENING.

      Delete
  6. Elegant large cows, in-turned horns must be a blessing. Sciatica is painful, hope it improves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were BIG beasts - you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of one! I have booked in to my chiro next week - Sciatica will probably go away now!!

      Delete
  7. What an atmospheric castle - really would love to go there. Lovely to see the cattle and sheep. I was just going to say I hope the viewing went well when I saw your reply to another comment above. So pleased for you that they are returning - sounds promising. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Good Luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could reach it from Herefordshire in a couple of hours. We liked the family so I do hope they fall in love with the house . . .

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photos !! makes me homesick for my homeland. Thinking of you and the prospective buyers, it sounds good and encouraging so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to make you homesick. We have never had so many viewings so close together so fingers are definitely crossed!

      Delete
  9. Thank you for sharing your castle walk. Amazing how they could build right into the escarpment.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't miss a trick. It has a long tunnel down to a well too!

      Delete
  10. Love the views of the castle and another lovely walk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did enjoy seeing these photos BB. What a magical wood that it. Like somewhere from Lord of the Rings.
    The Longhorns are very impressive! Thanks for sharing your walk. DWx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish you'd been with us DW. It is a magical place.

      Delete