Monday 13 July 2020

A Day Out!


Some lovely photos taken on our first day out in four months.  We took advantage of the weather and drove up to Hay Bluff, and had a car picnic, and a short walk to take some photos of the amazing views.  There were a couple of groups of ponies - these look pretty well Section A (Welsh Mountain) types, but there were some bigger heavier coloured cobs too.



A walking group (Ramblers) had met up (all their cars in one area) and climbed up onto the Bluff.  I bet that sorted out the fit from the unfit!  Bet the view up there is amazing but I doubt I will get fit enough this year to climb up there, even though the path contours rather than going straight up. 


I actually got a recognizable photo of a Kite - normally they are specks in the distance!


There's a nice spot to live - certainly no close neighbours nearby!


The flat topped peak of Pen-y-Fan in the distance.



The tiny church of St Mary at Capel-y-Ffin, beloved of the Reverend Kilvert who said it looked like an Owl.


It is very simple inside.  The etched window reads: I will lift up my eyes to the hills, From whence cometh my help.


Trekking ponies on an extended holiday - normally at this time they would be working very hard for their keep.  The smears are on the window, not my camera!


We hadn't seen this chapel before - it is across a stream at the back of the church, on a stretch of Offa's Dyke, according to the signpost by the gate.



This reads:  

The Memory of the Just is Blessed.  Proverbs X ch. 7 v.

Messrs. William and David Prosser
Brought the Ministry of the
Gospel to their house in the year
1737.  And Secured this Place for
That sacred use for the Time Being
Both died hear the end
Of the year 1780.

And Mr John Griffiths Secured
The sum of One Hundred Pounds
For the use of the Ministry for
The Time Being died June 29th 1817.

Now they are at Rest from their
Labours and their works follow
Them./ Revel. XIV 13 v.

Also the Donation of Mr Wm. Watkins
Being the Sum of Forty Pounds
Erected by Rev. George Watkins.

That is a HUGE sum (£100!) - and is mentioned here on a gravestone in the St Mary's Churchyard :


I couldn't read the top part (someone else had obligingly whitened the stone here - a bit of desecration . . .) but I think it was in the Watkins' family plot.  So, were they locals with lots of cash (one assumes) who changed from Church to Chapel?  One assumes so.  (Just done some research and found out the Watkins family were Dissenters- there was a famous Dissenting "academy" at Llanigon, near Hay-on-Wye. ) 


25 comments:

  1. I can see what Kilvert meant. It does look like an owl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a real soft spot for this place - surrounded by its ancient yews - and we always visit it when we are up on the Bluff.

      Delete
  2. Such lovely photographs. Are you still hoping to leave if you sell your house? I don't know how you could bear to leave such an area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed them Pat. Keith (despite his age) still wants to move closer to Malvern to trade there in the future - if it is ever deemed safe to do so again! I would be happy to stay in Wales/just over the border, though we do like Ledbury area (nice little town) and I would love to live in Dymock, where "my" poets are still much remembered.

      Delete
  3. The etched quote on the chapel window truly meant what it said with that view.

    Love your photos. So glad you were able to see some new views and have a bit of a car picnic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would happily have stayed up there all day except there is a paucity of bushes large enough to "go behind"!!

      Delete
    2. Ha! I've never quite recovered from 'going behind' a bush at Woburn Abbey Park when I was about four years old (1950s)...as a very unafraid deer pushed his head through the greenery and tried to make my acquaintance. Don't think I've tried going in the great outdoors more than a couple of times since that little traumatic event. :)

      Delete
    3. Oh bless you Mary!I can quite understand how scary that was! I am quite happy to go behind a bush (unless it is one with a view, so to speak!) My late m-in-law would rather have wet herself because it wasn't dignified. . .

      Delete
  4. Great views and interesting churches. Bliss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed bliss Jill, after months of staying so close to home.

      Delete
  5. My goodness what views, a true feast for the eyes. The little church was a delight and yes I could understand how it could be described as looking like an owl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's stunning. We've been up there in winter too, when the Brecon Beacons have been covered in snow (and some thereabouts too). Best in high summer though.

      Delete
  6. Lovely that you shared your travels with us. The views are marvelous. Love the ponies.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ponies were being very photogenic! I imagine the views from the VERY top of the Bluff are more amazing still.

      Delete
  7. That looks an ideal place to live - with no neighbours! I wish I had stuck to my original criteria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No near neighbours is what we have - closest one is 1/4 mile away. Unless you count the cows next door!

      Delete
  8. It looks a lovely day out with stunning views and it was wonderful to see and read about the churches. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. We like it in normal times - on Sunday it was like going to Heaven for the day!

      Delete
  9. It is a long time since I walked up Hay Bluff but I have been up there many a time. It is indeed a wonderful spot and great place for a picnic. That little church does look like an Owl and that appendage on the roof, it is a small tower, it is at a rather interesting angle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect I brought back some memories for you then. Those views are just stupendous.

      The little tower on the roof has a definite lean to it and has for a while I believe.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the beautiful walk and interesting history!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Judy. There will be more from other outings!

      Delete
  11. https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/4334923343397732154 In case anyone is interested here is a link to my blog. I certainly enjoy reading this one about my native country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marlane - I followed that link and it comes back to my blog! Hope you can put the link up again.

      Delete
    2. Ok then maybe click on my name It works from here. Thanks for letting me know. umm the link let me try again
      http://diary6marlane.blogspot.com/ altho it shows a lock by it ??

      Delete