Friday 21 May 2021

A wonderful Bluebell walk

 




I thought I would share our beautiful Bluebell Walk with you all - the photos will hold such memories through the summer, which could well be wet and miserable (though I hold onto sunshiny hope!)  The wood is just above Crickhowell - Cefn Coed, but known locally (of course) as the Bluebell Wood.  We walked all the length of it, but will go back again and look for the Iron Age hillfort which is in the middle (we were going round the edge).  The views were amazing. Oh my goodness - I have header photos for weeks to come I think - until we go to the next beautiful part of Wales.


This is called Table Mountain.  If you look carefully you can see a few people on the top.  I'd love to walk up there but it's quite a challenge for me.










There were several bushes of Broom in full flower at the edge of the woods.  It reminds me of the New Forest, where it grew happily, along with Gorse.



You can imagine the scent of this many Bluebells.



These hills and the River Usk, form the beautiful Usk valley.  We'd have liked to live here, but demand it high (and prices with it).




It is still wet and windy here and we shan't be going far today.  I shall be busy tackling the ironing mountain which is threatening a landslide, I have lovely material remnants to make up into cushion covers, and plenty of paint to splash about.  Time to start a slow transformation here.


I love this fabric, and am about to order more so I can make curtains and a Roman blind to replace the (hideous to my mind) browny-grey checked Dunelm ones currently in the Library.


Same pattern in a yellowy colourway.


I have two pieces of this lovely pattern.  The smallest piece is just right for a 16" circular cushion for a Lloyd Loom chair we got from a garage giveaway in town (chap clearing his late mum's house during Lockdown, when no charity shops or auctions taking stuff).

So, plenty to keep me busy this weekend! Have a good one.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! Spectacular scenery indeed, and Autumn will be another delight, I'm sure. How many different faces our landscapes wear throughout the year. Super fabrics, and what a scoop to score a Lloyd Loom chair. Hope your weather is more settled today, as I type it's improving noticeably.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will definitely go back in Autumn - the beech trees will be magnificent. I agree, landscapes change so through every season.

    Glad you like the fabrics. Just about to measure up to order the stuff for the curtains/blind. I have been Painting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grand scenery. Can only imagine the scent of all those bluebells.

    Love the fabrics in all their various colours. Watercolour prints.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was heavenly Mary.

    I have ordered the Santa Maria fabric in Flamingo colourway. I've been doing some decorating in the boringly-neutral Library - which Magnolia has just rendered cold and sterile. I will do a "reveal" a little later in the week . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you said you were going to bluebell woods at Crickhowell I thought it would be Cefn Coed - marvellous isn't it. The walk up Table mountain is very steep - I did it a few weeks ago and continued for ten mile circuit on to Pen Carreg Calch and beyond. Crickhowell is nice town with a very good local bookshop too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you would know the area better than me. It was amazing there. Ah, the words "very steep" and Jennie DON'T go together. Tam could do it, but I am hampered by my asthma (and pathetic level of fitness at the moment).

      I was very good in Crickhowell, and took myself by the scruff of the neck and walked myself right PAST the bookshop! I have been told many times by Tam we have TOO MANY BOOKS . . .

      Delete
  6. Just look at all those lovely bluebells. I just bet the scent is intoxicating.

    Love the fabrics.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was heavenly in there Jackie!

    Yesterday I ordered curtain material for the Library - the first fabric I showed, which is called Santa Maria (in that Flamingo colourway). Can't wait to start sewing them up so am willing it it to arrive SOONEST!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that is what I call a bluebell wood :) Lovely photos and the scent must have been unbelievable. The material looks pretty. I struggle with hills - like you asthma and also unfit atm let alone my wonky knees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's do-able from Hereford way you know! You would LOVE that scenery too. This is an easy walk to do as level most of the way and shouldn't be too much strain on your wonkey knees either. Crickhowell is a nice little town too. Next time we go we shall go to the church, where Lady Pauncefoot is interred. She cut her hand off and sent it as a ransom payment against her husband, captured in the Crusades.

      Delete