Saturday 19 February 2022

Scrumptious Sticky Gingerbread

 


I went for a proper walk today - my legs and lungs definitely needed it - the weather has been so unpleasant recently and not at all conducive to going for a walk, however short.  As you see, there was even a little bit of sunshine about.



A Thrush was singing his heart out up in this tree, surrounded by lovely catkins.


I was able to walk into an open field and actually get a photo of our house (white on right by BIG tree). So you get an idea of how fortunate we are in our beautiful surroundings.


I've saved more photos for another post.  I hope you will give this cake a try - it's divine!

RIVER COTTAGE STICKY GINGERBREAD


 100g golden syrup

100g black treacle

75g unsalted butter

75g light soft brown or muscovado sugar (I omitted this)

150g plain flour

1tsp round ginger

1/2 tsp ground mixed spice

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1 egg, lightly beaten

75ml milk

Finely grated zest of 1 unwaxed lemon

1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda

75-100g finely chopped preserved stem ginger in syrup (drained) - though I did add about a tablespoon of the syrup too


Icing (Optional) 50g icing sugar, sifted 1 tblspn lemon juice or water 50g whole stem ginger (2 pieces) 


Equipment 1-litre (2 lb) loaf tin, greased and lined with baking parchment Preheat the oven to 170C/gas 3.


Put the golden syrup, treacle, butter (and sugar) into a small saucepan. Place over a gentle heat and stir until the butter has melted and the ingredients are evenly blended. Set aside to cool. Sift the flour, ground ginger, mixed spice and cinnamon into a medium mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the cooled treacle mixture, egg, milk and lemon zest. Using a wooden spoon, beat well until the mixture is smooth and glossy. Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in 1 tblspn. hot water. Add to the mixture with the chopped ginger and mix thoroughly to create a pourable batter. Pour into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes, or until the cake is firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave in the tin for 10 mins before turning the cake out onto a wire rack to cool. When cold, if you wish, mix the icing sugar with the lemon juice or water and drizzle over the cake, then top with slivers of stem ginger. This cake is best stored for 3-4 days before eating. It keeps well for 2 weeks and freezes beautifully. 



17 comments:

  1. I don't have ginger in syrup, but might make it tomorrow anyway. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something I always have in, as I use it a lot in cakes. You can make do with those Whitworths strips of dried ginger, cut smaller.

      Delete
  2. That is a good recipe. Have you tried rye flour in cakes? Goes well with spices

    You do live in a lovely place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Rye flour for bread - must take your advice and try it with a spicy cake.

      It's not bad round here is it? I love the view across to Aberedw especially.

      Delete
  3. Is black treacle the same as molasses? If I will give this a try. I love gingerbread.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is Jackie. This is a splendid gingerbread and keeps well.

      Delete
  4. I adore ginger cake. Our Canadian loaf tin sizes come in measurements not lbs. Mine are 8 inches by 3 inches and the sides are 3 inches high. I'm thinking I might need two pans for your recipe. Any thoughts/suggestions? Beautiful location for your home. I am lucky too, as I can walk out of my front gate and on to a forest path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My big 2lb tins are 9" x 5" x 3"deep. Hope that helps. Or you could use a square tin. Doesn't really matter really - tastes just as good.

      Yes, we have the perfect location for our home though I'd like some flatter walks from the door!

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I think I'll go with a square tin.

      Delete
  5. It looks like you have lovely walks but many uphill. I have passed baking now though it sounds delicious, didn't know you could still get black treacle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, uphill comes with the territory. Not much is flat! We have some flatter walks but only down in the Park can I get it completely flat!

      Delete
  6. The cake must have smelled so ggod! I don't think we have most of those ingredients here in the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh yes - and it has lasted well - I made it a week ago and there are still a couple of slices left. I have only had two thin ones during the week. Keith and Tam have enjoyed it.

      Delete
  7. What is round ginger? Is it ground? And stem ginger...Do you grow your own then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be ground ginger! Sorry, will amend it. Stem ginger - no it's sold in jars here, and is a preserved ginger product in a gloriously sticky syrup. Don't grow my own ginger.

      Delete
  8. Oooh, proper Sticky Gingerbread ... yes please. :-)

    ReplyDelete