Saturday 17 December 2022

Glad that yesterday is over!

 I will admit to be totally wound up (emotionally) yesterday morning before I took the kittens along for their 2nd jabs.  I was struggling not to cry at home and prayed I wouldn't cry in the surgery, but I held it together.  They really didn't enjoy having their temperatures taken and Lulu was struggling to get away when she had her injection which didn't help matters.  Pippi was calm for her jab, bless her, and the vet gave them both treats of Dreamies which pleased them.  They didn't have the reaction they did last time - they were just more sleepy than usual during the day, but it didn't stop them eating!!  In the evening they decided to go and play upstairs (hide and seek under the guest room bed) and we could hear them thundering up and down the hall - you would have thought they were baby elephants, not tiny kittens!



Glad to be back home again . . .



I am relieved to report that Tam managed to fix her heater.  A 2nd heater "went" in the Victorian house her flat is in and the Landlady did some research - turns out it was the Condensate pipe which had frozen solid . . . Then my friend Pam came round at teatime, and had to have the Plumber out - same problem! So . . . at least Tam is warm again, but she is STILL testing positive for Covid and can't be with her boyfriend.  He has a family wedding today, so didn't want to get infected.  






Whilst it has been very beautiful out, the perishing cold has not been so enjoyable.  I will be glad to see the back of it.  I am glad to see "rain" on the bar at the bottom of the screen, and 2 degrees instead of minus 9!  Mind you, apparently back in 2010 (the year we had a foot of snow and our central heating boiler died on Christmas morning), it was even colder here.  In the vet's yesterday, a chap (who must have been selling tractors) who had a stand at the Royal Welsh Winter Festival said when they arrived onsite it was - 21 and the Welsh cakes they left in the cab of one of the tractors froze solid!

    I will be glad not to have to be up and down to the front door every 15 minutes because L. Whale was Most Insistent he wanted to Be Outside. Then he would change his mind, but couldn't remember that the cat flap worked and so would sit there waiting for me to let him in.  I didn't get ANY peace, and if you didn't let him out he would sit and make vocal complaints.  This did not start until it got dark - he spent all day on the bed!

    Anyway, I did have an enjoyable afternoon as I spotted that Victorian Farm episodes were running back to back so I relaxed and watched 3 in a row.  I did enjoy that series and Ruth Goodman really helped us travel back in time.  Good to see old skills (like the oak basket making) kept alive.

    I have just had an idea for an extra little gift to include in the basket of comestibles for our son's girlfriend - a little x-stitch tree decoration, so am off to choose one to stitch.

Addendum:  Be careful how you step outside this morning as I have just gone a*se over t*t on the path, which has turned to ice with rain starting to fall.  That was bad enough but I happened to be carrying the filthy contents of the compost bin, containing hot soapy water and what rotting bits had been scrubbed off the interior.  This of course, went all over me - it did NOT taste good!



19 comments:

  1. Oh, thank you for the note about Victorian Farm. I will download yesterday’s and today’s episodes as my treat when the football is all over. I was working in the bookshop yesterday wearing five layers
    under my Down jacket plus hat, neck warmer and fingerless mittens and felt just right with the woodburner going. Bookshop again this afternoon and that is me done until the New Year. At home I am knitting an above the knee tunic dress in undyed pure Welsh wool. It’s 4 ply yarn which I bought from the farm last year but I’m knitting with 4.5mm needles so the finished fabric has a nice drape to it and it will be a perfect layering piece. All my hand spun wool has now been crocheted into a ‘cosy of cushions’ for my daughter’s new house. I have finished off the round edges and square corners with bobbles in lichen yellow (home dyed with dock root) and a sea green variegated Shetland wool from a cone found in the charity shop and these pops of colour bring the undyed natural wool to life. Really happy with them and I even made the inners from gifted calico and a gifted sheep’s fleece that I (over)washed in 2020 when I didn’t know to be gentle and not agitate the fleece when washing. Son requested a sleeveless jumper which I knitted up quickly in Romney merino aran weight wool on 6mm needles and I’ve made husband two pairs of brushed cotton pj bottoms from an old single ticking stripe duvet cover. For my friends I’ve made 6 inch square patchwork (tiny log cabins) cushions stuffed with sheep’s wool and homegrown lavender to hang in a wardrobe or on a door. The backing fabric is from a pair of old embroidered tray cloths. I love making presents from stuff I have lying around. I have not bought anything for Christmas this year apart from essential but good food - I am practising for when husband retires on 31 December and we will be living on his pension, my bookshop earnings and our savings. So we have the scented glossy leaved orange tree with baby oranges masquerading as a Christmas tree, a wreath made from foraged material, no advent calendar, no fairy lights or candles (I save my beeswax candles for when we have a power cut!). But we have the scent of fresh foliage from the garden, bowls of lavender and dried rose petals, allium, poppy and Nigella seedheads, oranges studded with cloves, old decorations made and collected over the decades and books to read and handcrafts and radio 3 and homemade mince pies every day. Yesterday after work at teatime we had two each in a bowl with a dollop of clotted cream! I am so happy and content with my lot. I find tunnel vision really helps, just focusing on all the good things in life of which there are so many and not worrying about the things I have no control over. We cannot control our children’s lives, our husband’s health, war, famine, so I just do my best. All the best BB and sending my love and support. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't touched knitting (or crochet) for a couple of years now. In fact, I rehomed my wool stash at a charity shop when we were packing to move. I just kept some extra-special hand-spun wools I'd bought at Hay. I love reading about your use of the undyed pure Welsh wool and using the dock root to dye the wool for the bobbles. What mordant did you use? The Shetland wool sounds a lovely find. Round here, not much in the charity shops at all.

    All the gifts you have made sound really lovely. I am finishing the last corner on a x-stitch tree decoration I started 10 years ago by the rusty needle found in the top edge of it. I am adding it to a little basket of comestibles for Danny's partner.

    Christmas at your house sounds just perfect. 10 years ago I was motivated and used to love Christmas and making all sorts of things. I have lost my mojo now, totally and utterly. How I loved hearing about your Christmas though and perhaps it will inspire me to make a few things in the week to come - oranges studded with cloves, oh I used to make those every year. I have a less than perfect big orange in the fruit bowl (bought easy-peelers for K this week) so I will stud that straight away. Thank you for cheering me up.



    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear that the kittens had an easier round with the 2nd injections. Goodness--you're really going to be dithered when they have their 'spays' in a couple of months. That's always a difficult 24 hours when they are so feeble and out of it.
    Ice covered steps and paths are treacherous enough without a sloppy bucket to handle. It is sounding like a day to be inside, warm and safe with the cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just "in a state" because of several worries all loading up together. Now Tam has hot water and heating again, and tested Negative for Covid today, kitties jabbed and Keith slept better last night, so the pile of worries has subsided somewhat.

      I was so foolish not remembering how icy it was out there. What an idiot I must have looked!!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you are coping the best you can in difficult circumstances
    So pleased the kitties are ok following the vets
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A knickers-in-a-twist day yesterday, that's for sure. If I'd had the time, I'd have had a good cry before the vet's but I didn't. Hope your snow/ice has melted now as it has here.

      Delete
  5. So glad to hear Tam has heat AND tested negative today. That's got to be a load off your mind! The big news today is that Houdini came out of hiding and even allowed a pet. Just one, but it is a start isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a big relief Debby. I hate it when worries all pile up at once. That little kitty has made a few steps in the right direction now.

      Delete
  6. You have had some very difficult days recently. I am sorry for your stress.

    The kittens need their vaccines, hard as it is to force them to have them. Just like w children.

    I am glad Tam is at least warm and hopefully will be better/ negative/ soon.

    Your frosty photos are glorious.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I missed replying to you before. They had to have their jabs, and at least are safe from Feline Leukemia and Flu. Looking forward to seeing Tam on Friday, and the others Christmas Eve/Day.

      Delete
  7. What are we like!! Two 'arse over tits' on two blogs.

    In my defence the back yard where we were was perfectly dry and normal when we went in and then it rained and froze all within the space of 30 minutes ... and got me on the way out. I've decided, I only like this weather when I'm indoors with nothing important left to do!!

    Just how do little animals sound like a major stampede of elephants when they are running around, it's amazing isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had NO defence, as I knew it was icy and then plain just forgot! Like you, I soon got fed up with being housebound.

      I think elephant-kitten stampedes say much about the flooring here!

      Delete
  8. I am glad that Tam's heat is fixed and that her covid test came back negative. On top of everything else, the kittens came through the vet appointments just fine, and a good night's sleep is bound to help Keith. Looks like things are sorting themselves out! Houdini was sleeping in his bed yesterday, and allowed William to give him a pet. Just one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just off to bed, but Yay! that Houdini is in his bed AND allowed William to pet him. He'll soon come round now, especially if he has turkey bits on Christmas Day! I had a success too - L. Whale came on the sofa beside me - one hiss at Pippi and she was most demure! Alfie was already on the chair back and Lulu nearby. SO glad they are settling down with them.

      Hoping to sleep better tonight with a few worries out of the way though Keith could do with plugging into the mains bless him!

      Will answer other comments in the morning folks.

      Delete
  9. I hope you weren't injured too badly. Harvey and I just tested negative for Covid. We will check again tomorrow. I am so sorry that Tam is still positive.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only my dignity Jackie! Not even a bruise. Glad you are negative, long may it continue.

      Delete
  10. Glad the kittens did fine with their jabs. I feel sorry for you all having cold weather without the tools to cope with it. If we had condensate pipes here and we may, they would have a heat tape on them so they wouldn't freeze. We are in the -30s C here and thankful we are not where our eldest son lives as he has -45C but our houses and vehicles are built for this. Not that stupid ice though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You really do have your work cut out with those kittens, not sure I could cope with them myself. I see it has been cold there like up here though it has warmed up a lot now. Have a Good Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Billy, I'd forgive them anything (well almost!) They make us laugh and we could both do with that these days.

      Have a good Christmas too. Hope to bother a church over the Christmas break.

      Delete