Friday 2 December 2022

A plain little Welsh church - St Afan's, Llanfechan

 


I have passed this little church, set back from the A483 on what was probably the "old" road before they upgraded the A483, many times, but decided I would actually go and visit - it's not very far from here.  It dates back to the 13th or 14th C, although it was pretty well flattened and rebuilt in 1866.  I imagine this huge programme of rebuilding/renovating old churches in Victorian times was probably deemed necessary by their perilous state.



At first I thought it was locked, as the door wouldn't budge.  But a farmer moving sheep (this church has a farm to one side and farmyard in front of it) said it wouldn't be locked and jumped up the wall into the churchyard and put his shoulder mightily to the door which, though swelled with damp at the apex, finally gave into to his weight and allowed me through.



Judging by the age of this Yew tree, I would say that this was a very early Christian site.  The church is situated on a mound, though it's not that obvious in the photos and immediately beneath the church could well be the rubble from the earlier demolished church.  The churchyard is also circular, another pointer to antiquity.  This church, Llanafan Fechan (the lesser) and its neighbour Llanafan Fawr (the greater) a few miles Northwards, are dedicated to the Celtic Bishop Afan, who was usually named Afan Buallt, showing a close link with Builth Wells. He was a 5th or 6th C Bishop, so an early site indeed.



The view Northwards.


The 14th C font was very plain.


Indeed the church was plain and utalitarian. Its size echoed that of that Medieval church which had preceded it.  If there had been any obviously medieval parts, those were long gone.  The modernization was carried out by Charles Buckeridge, who also carried out the work at Llanlleonfel Church, the other side of Garth, which I also visited earlier in the year.

        What I missed, I now discover, is an early stone in the churchyard marked AVANIUS EPISCOPIS. Bishop Afan . . . So I will have to return and seek it out.

        Well, I have had to re-schedule the car repair as it became clear it wouldn't be done this morning (I got it down their for 8.45 too) but might be done before they shut this teatime.  Since leaving it there involved walking the 2 miles to and from home each way in freezing fog, and then again this afternoon even further across to Pam's to let her dog out for his ablutions whilst she was out for the afternoon, I thought it was better to leave it till I had a clear day.

        So, back to binding the lap quilt, now that I have buttoned everything together.  Heaven knows what tea is going to be - I had better look in the freezer for some inspiration.  

        The garage said we should be ok to drive to Crickhowell and back tomorrow, but I think we will have to cancel Llwyn Celyn as that adds another 30 miles to the journey.  Ah well, it will still be there next year.


19 comments:

  1. What a lovely very simple plain church, the Victorians didn't do as much restoration as they did to many around here - changing them completely
    Hope you get the car sorted. ASAP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Car's in for next Tuesday now. Just want it DONE. A simple little church but I bet it has such an unspoken history.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. This one is pretty darn old too. One of the churches we visited along the Welsh Marches had a yew tree a couple of thousand years old. Just trying to think which church it was - possibly St Michael's Church at Discoed. More even more ancient yews at the church at Defynnog, near Sennybridge - the oldest yew in Britain there I think.

      Delete
  3. Oh that is disappointing, maybe someone will post photos online and as you recently visited I am sure you can imagine it decorated for Christmas. I hope you don’t think I was being bossy in my last comment. My oldest friend’s father had Parkinson’s for many years and she is now involved as a fund raiser for Parkinson’s UK and sees a lot of sufferers and is constantly giving me good advice. My latest mission is getting S to drive properly. He sits semi-recumbent with one hand on the steering wheel at twenty past four but I make him sit up and hold the wheel with two hands at ten to two. He hates me for it but I say that if he had to have a test to check his ability to drive he would fail driving his way and I’m not interested in how he drove as a young man, now he is a man of 70 with PD and he needs to do it properly and safely. It can be exhausting. We”re also trying to sing and tomorrow afternoon it is carols in the market square of Petworth led by the choir of my bookshop boss so a very good opportunity to raise our voices. I think I am going to make a note of every local church carol service and we’ll join in and have fun. I love singing carols, one of my favourite things about Christmas. Have a lovely weekend BB, I’m busy in the bookshop this afternoon and tomorrow morning but I am determined to make the most of this dry and settled spell of weather. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah disappointment is an old friend of mine - something I have learned to accept down the years. It happens, and you move on. No, of course you weren't being bossy. That's what Keith thinks I am with him! Keith is cross with me because his driving licence came up for renewal, and I insisted he told the DVLA that he has Parkinsons (he must by Law). Now they will be in touch with his Consultant - don't know what she will say as she's only seen him once, and said he was under-medicated then (I still think he is). If it's not renewed, it will of course be My Fault. I am glad your husband can keep driving - Keith's not driven for a couple of years now because he used to get so tired when we were up half way through the night to go to Malvern and gradually I ended up doing more and more.

      I can't imagine Keith trying to sing - he was never a singer to start with! He certainly wouldn't want to try and sing carols. We are still waiting for a visit by the Speech Therapist - in the meantime I try and encourage him to hold his head up so his voice can escape more easily. Everything is a struggle though as he is always so tired. I can see him going backwards but there are always excuses why he can't do the exercises etc. The Parkinsons itself probably isn't THAT bad - it's the damage done by the Steroids, robbing him of his muscles and strength. That is such a low spot to try and clamber back up from.

      Enjoy your carols and sing one for me - I used to love singing them too but asthma has largely robbed me of my singing voice in public. I am better singing along with Steeleye Span or Fleetwood Mac in the privacy of my kitchen!

      Delete
  4. Lovely little church, very peaceful and simple. Shame about the car, enjoy tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SueJay, a simple little church indeed. I felt the lack of a regular service there/worship let it feel a bit unloved. We will enjoy getting out tomorrow anyway.

      Delete
  5. Oh that is almost a carbon copy of our little Church House.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a sweet little church, a bit short on atmosphere, but I felt much-loved by the locals, who in this area, are fairly widespread.

      Delete
  6. The tree alone makes the visit worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith and I love Yew trees and this one is a venerable old chap, that's for sure.

      Delete
  7. It's when reading things like this that I wished I had a car. So easy, more or less, to just stop when you see something that takes your eye. Definitely agree. The Yew Tree and the circular churchyard are giveaways to the age of the site. Have you ever visited Nevern? They've got an Ave of bleeding yew trees. Leading up to the church, w hich in itself is a very lovely small parish church. Set in a beautiful woodland area in the bottom of the Nevern Valley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would be lost without our car. As friends who live in town say, we are "out in the sticks". Personally I think we are pretty handy for town!

      I know Nevern well. I first visited it in around 1971, and since moving to Wales, have visited it half a dozen times. Inside the church are a couple of very early stones incorporated as window ledges, apart from the ones in the churchyard. Somewhere there (I couldn't find it last time I went) there is a gravestone where ALL of a couple's many children pre-deceased them.) How sad.

      Delete
  8. Very simple church but really fascinating. Love the old yew tree. That is a lovely view from the churchyard. interesting about the stiff door that wouldn't budge - i do now wonder about Dorstone! I hope you get the car sorted soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the simple lines of the church. The font is perfect.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it gave the impression of a simple faith, simply practiced.

      Delete
  10. I do wonder if the reply I posted earlier went through, I do have to wonder with Laptops and the internet. I have visited St Afan back in 2019 and found it a really pleasant little church to look around. I think it had a rodent problem as the altar cloth was covered in droppings. Did not know about the headstone you mentioned. I might stop and have look when I am down that way again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I saw your earlier reply Billy? I will go through and look in my list of comments for moderating. I thought you must have visited this little church. They had a cloth over the font as well (but no obvious droppings). Perhaps they were from bats?

      Delete