Sunday 22 January 2023

A busy weekend

 


Yesterday I finally finished the little Robin tree-hanging I began at Christmas.  It is stuffed with wool - some Merino rovings I had in my craft cupboard.


Looking across to the chapel.   I just wish it would thaw.  I went to collect Danny from the train station yesterday, not remembering he was on the substitute bus because work was being carried out on the line.  I parked up in the village and walked down the still snowy hill to the train stop - glad I hadn't tried to drive down there.  Side roads are still snowy/icy in places, and one of Danny's jobs has been to spread grit along our track so I can get in and out more easily.  I have let him off cleaning the leaves from the stable gutter as it's so perishing cold.



Oooh, who's up there?  (Danny).  And no, they aren't allowed on tables, place mats or no, but it made a good photo.  Lulu is actually taller than Pippi, but Pippi had drawn herself up to look up the stairs.

    I had a good day in the kitchen yesterday, with the slow cooker on first thing for Keith's beef casserole, and then again in the afternoon for the Hungarian Goulash I fancied.  Years since I last made it and we both really enjoyed it.  I had bought a bag of carrots, so I grated a couple up and made a Carrot Cake and then stewed up some apples to go with the Blackberry and Apple Pie I made this week which was a bit short on fruit base.  I still have a few pounds of apples left which were picked off one of Pam's trees in the autumn.  

    We were having a lazy tv day - so many films we haven't watched which are on Prime (which we haven't checked out for a while).  One of the things we watched was a film about Otzi, the Bronze Age "ice man" discovered in 1991 (THAT long ago?), who is now on display in the South Tyrol Museum  in Bolzano, Italy.  It was well done but gosh, did they really go round just murdering one another on a whim? 

    Talking of murdering, I have  been doing some family history research, on my step gran 's family and have found that the Grays were Crays a generation earlier.  Let's hope there isn't a connection with those dastardly East End Kray twins!

    Anyway, I peeled apples and potatoes whilst watching it, and finished my x-stitch hanging whilst watching another film.  Not much we could do outside (apart from feed the birds and take the rubbish out).  A walk was out as Danny just had his trainers with him and the best walks would still involve several inches of snow underfoot.

    Keith has abandoned his stroller and has been walking round using his stick.  His neck is very bad again today (has been the last couple of weeks in fact) and no amount of massaging with baby oil helps it.  We will be glad when Danny's girlfriend visits in a few weeks and can free it up again.  It stops him being mobile as he can't hold his head up.  E massages it and frees it up.  I wish the Physio would do this but it would appear they don't do "hands on" treatment any more.  There is a place in Hay that offers sports massage, pain management etc, so I will phone them tomorrow to get an appt.


I hope you have all had a good weekend.  All I can say is, I'm glad I never emigrated to Canada, which is something I quite fancied doing in my youth!  I would soon be fed up with the snow, wouldn't I?!


15 comments:

  1. We too are ready for spring. So much so that we've gone in search of it! Love your tree hanging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there and welcome. I have just had a short drive to take our son to catch the bus and winter is still very much in evidence across the landscape. Only the sunniest fields have thawed. Enjoy your adventures - something I always wanted to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in a very snowy area of the US. When there's snow cover and extreme cold all winter you get used to it and services are geared for clearing and road care. So Canada might have been fine. Here by the northeast coast US we don't get ''spring'' til May or June, so yearning for spring in January sounds strange!
    Your cooking all sounds so delicious. And the robin embroidery is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the trouble here is the Council is NEVER prepared for snow, and doesn't grit the side roads/lanes. Oh gosh, no spring until we are in Summer! We start looking for the first signs of wild flower blooms the moment Christmas is past - optimists I guess!

      Delete
    2. "Summer doesn't start til 4th of July"---I usually wear a down parka to walk my dog in the evenings well into June. It's very very windy off the ocean, which stays cold til August. We did find snow drop tips today tho. Yay!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I wish that you could try a TENS unit with Keith. Mine helped my neck so very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby - you are a STAR! Just done some research and ordered one. Will let you know how we get on.

      Delete
    2. I cannot wait to hear how it goes.

      Delete
  5. Those darling baby cats! The Robin ornament is perfect--I think I'd need to keep it out most of the year. Your last photo reminds me a bit of the view out my east window in Vermont in winter--something about it.
    How frustrating that Keith's ability to walk fluctuates so much--since he can manage at times with his stick one would think there might be a therapy that would stabilize him at that point. I do know that having one's neck 'out' can affect balance and cause much pain.
    Goulash and beef stew sound very warming and sustaining for wretched winter weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't they just? I adore them and am SO protective. Glad you like the Robin and indeed, why should he go away? Glad that I brought back memories of Vermont. How far is your old home from where you have fetched up now?

    Keith made it up the stairs during the day today, so that is another improvement. I am hoping the Tens machine Debby recommended will really help. The one I've ordered mentioned helping leg spasms too . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. The kittens are adorable! I'll second Debby's idea of a TENS unit. I had one a number of years ago for a back injury. It didn't cure the injury, a herniated disc, but it did help with pain and stiffness. So hopefully it will help Keith's neck. It does take some experimenting to get the settings right for each individual. I do hope it brings relief.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All sounding very positive BB. Hope K finds relief in the TENS machine. My mum had one decades ago after slipping down a flight of icy stone steps and chipping a piece from her coccyx. Ouch! It worked for her. Any idea when the kittens will be allowed out. My daughter was worried about her one year old cat when they moved from a flat to a house with garden, but now he comes and goes happily. I was also at the station last night picking up son and his bike from the London train. He had borrowed a pair of skis so didn’t really want him cycling back here in icy roads with skis strapped to his back. Amazingly his bike had been locked in Greenwich Park since just before Christmas and was still there four weeks later. He’s a lucky chap. Minus 4 here last night and already I have been out schnapping with my new iPhone 14, a much needed replacement for my one and only mobile phone - an iPhone 5 which I bought in 2011 when I was stretched very thinly between ageing parents, teenage children, work and home. I have resisted buying a replacement for years but after receiving a generous and unexpected Christmas bonus I succumbed. I think it might change my life. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  9. 'Talking of murdering...' now that got me worried for a minute!! Aren't the kittens growing quickly, they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good thing you didn't go to Canada - here today expecting 30-40 cms of snow and blowing winds (Irishtown, New Brunswick). There is NOTHING moving on the roads. Schools are closed and I think the nearby city (Moncton) has pretty much closed as some would be trying to move if they had to do so. We hunker down and wait for it to end (sometime late tomorrow!) I made a beef and barley stew yesterday and bread in case we lose power in the winds. Love your stories and your cats doings...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a friiend lives in Canada, he gets lots of snow and has to use a blower to clear the drive most days.

    ReplyDelete