Sunday 29 January 2023

Outing

 


Yesterday was the Antiques Fair at the Botanic Garden of Wales, near Carmarthen.  It was lovely to see these Daffodils blooming so early.  A real taster of spring on the way.  We would normally have had a stand here, especially as it was the first Fair back after Covid had put the kibosh on things.  I had booked our normal stand, but had to cancel it when I saw how bad Keith's health was at the beginning of January.  I wouldn't have gone, but Keith wanted to and he really enjoyed the outing.  I, less so, as it was VERY crowded and not much room to get through with a mobility scooter, especially when Keith was trying to turn it and people would just walk through as I was helping him reverse into a clear space.  I found it rather stressful, particularly when I had to make top speed the 1/4 mile or so back to the car park to get his walking stick (we'd forgotten it) and then labour back up the hill again.  He didn't want to wear a mask either, which made my wearing one to try and avoid Flu a bit pointless. If he got it, so would I anyway.   I was glad to get home.  I've not done a 100 mile round trip for a while.  


A beautiful yellow Witchazel.  One of several lining the path on the way up.


A view of the Dome from where we came in as paying visitors for the first time.  We normally have a pillar to pillar stand in here.


On a friend's stand, a beautiful 18th C Welsh dresser - a fraction of the price it would have been not that long ago.  If we'd had room, we'd have been very tempted. Below one of the lovely primitive chairs he had in his display.  



Pathways lead around the plantings in the Dome and a corner lent itself to a display of Welsh Blankets.


Such an interesting stand (above and below).  A wide range of unusual things.  It belonged to the very capable Brita, whose Fair it is.  She has a good eye.




Two lovely pieces made many moons ago and very rare finds nowadays.  Priced accordingly.


In the marquee, some lovely big French pots.


There was nothing to tempt me that I could afford.  A friend of ours sells these wonderful antique carvings - the one I'd love to have is 3rd along on the top row.  Well into 3 figures though.


A super study of a polo pony in bronze.  I didn't even enquire the price of this!

Things to be thankful for:

1.  Keith has an appointment next month at Hereford to see the Neurologist (however, it's at 9 a.m. so we need to have a very early start.)

2.  Signs of spring and the lengthening days.

3.  Two kittens that make me laugh.

4.  A little progress with Family History research that didn't require a death-bed confession.


17 comments:

  1. A good setting for the fair. Brita does have a good eye for ceramics!
    I love stick chairs. Wish we had house room for a couple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the perfect setting. Being stuck in a big cattle shed at Builth doesn't quite compare! Brita knows a lot about the local pottery - Gwili - and always has some beautiful pieces on her stand. The stick chairs are fabulous. Prices to match though!

      Delete
  2. Glad Keith is doing OK and getting out seeing friends. When I have an appointment early in the day I ring up for a change of time, saying that as I am disabled it takes me ages to get ready, which it does and they usually give me a later time on the same day or another date. They are very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did enjoy himself. Thanks Joan - but I won't ask for a change of appt in case we get pushed back weeks. We will just have to get up extra early.

      Delete
  3. glad you had a day out! Miserable gits not letting you have space to move, though. People can be so insensitive and selfish. I'm speaking from experience. Although mine is more from using two walking poles and a slow, limping, hobbling gait, people expecting me to move out of their way, not the other way round. Do I expect too much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people are in their own little world - they see someone in a wheelchair or mobility scooter and just want to get by regardless. I think people should give disabled folk space - it's only good manners.

      Delete
  4. I love the list of positive things I like to do that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, there' not been much to put in a list recently!

      Delete
  5. What lovely displays. Those carvings are gorgeous.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you got out to the fair even if it was hard work for you. You spotted some lovely treasures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a fair amount I wasn't enamoured of too, but I didn't take photos of that!

      Delete
  7. Lovely to see the daffodils and to have a day out. Hope you slept well and feel refreshed after the drive and scooter management. We finished watching the whole of Poldark last night. Oh, I did enjoy it, the Cornish coastline, the beautiful houses and cottages, the horse riding, the history relating to the slave trade and mining, the romance. It really cheered up my January. In 2019 we stayed in the Count House at Botallack, where the miners would have been paid. I cannot imagine how hard the work must have been, they certainly never knew about old age but they knew about pain and illness. Hope the neurologist can prescribe some better medication for K. My main worry with S is the muscle wasting. He has always been very fit but gets very tired in the evening - he has mostly been asleep while I’ve been watching Poldark! He has his first appointment with the PD nurse in February so she may be able to advise. It is not through lack of eating, his appetite is good and we eat well so maybe it is just his genetic physiology and nothing to do with PD. We’re off for a good walk now. I worked Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday last week and as a consequence didn’t walk. Yesterday we were out for lunch with friends so I am suffering from a lack of movement. Have a good day BB and hope the sun is shining with you. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those daffodils brought a smile to my face too. They are always very early so there is obviously a bit of a micro-climate where they are planted.

      Oh, how I would love to watch Poldark from start to finish again. Life down the mines must have been desperately hard - can you imagine being in one of the mines that went out under the sea, and hearing the waves above you? Scary. Unfortunately, Poldark is NOT Keith's cup of tea (he's into the more manly action-movies etc although we both enjoy anything with Jason Statham in. I've not been any further into Cornwall than Helston and I would so love to go to where they filmed Poldark, and to visit Minack and the land which is now a Nature Reserve in the name of Derek and Jeannie Tangye. How I loved reading the books about their living there and picking daffodils and mixed bunches for the London market, and the donkeys and the cats.

      We would be glad if Keith had some more helpful medication. We will have to see. He is going round with a stick now, rather than a walker or stroller and today he even made it along the top landing without a stick! His balance, touch wood, is a tiny bit better. I am encouraging him to drink more of course - small gains on that front. Drinking quicker is what we really need rather than making a pint of water last ALL day!

      Sorry that S has muscle loss - Keith had that and put it down to the long course of steroids, but of course, it could possibly be the Parkinsonism too. Likewise, we thought that the extreme fatigue was due to coming off the steroids. Wrong. Low thyroxine levels and Parkinsonism played a strong part. Anyway, he is improving slowly and now walks with a stick instead of a stroller or frame and even managed without a stick today!

      I have laboured long and hard in the garden today and feel SO good for it. There is muchly to be done though. You can't even see the cobbles for the moss and the bank is a total wreck.

      Delete
  8. The yellow witch-hazel photo is marvelous. Glad to hear Keith has an appointment with the neurologist soon (even though it requires an early start for you & Keith). Aren't the signs of spring approaching lovely and oh so very uplifting. Take care, stay safe & well, enjoy the antics of the kittens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's now on my list of "wanteds". I have a lovely red one but it suffered with the draught last year and hasn't put out much in the way of flowers yet. I had best give it a feed and mulch around the base.

      Kittens' antics much enjoyed, though Pippi is a tease and keeps going to the back of the tv and looking at me, and ignoring my pleas to come out. The last two nights she has climbed up on the little joint stool beside the tv, which has one of a much-loved pair of Imari ginger-jar lamps, and KNOWS that will get me up and running for fear she might knock it off. Little hooligan!

      We are fortunate to get such a quick appointment. Hope Keith can be helped.

      Delete
  9. I can only echo the thought that politeness/consideration would give someone with a walker or wheelchair the moment needed to maneuver. No telling when we all might come to that state in some way and would hope for courtesy.
    If I could own anything from the antiques on display it would be the Welsh dresser--am I correct in thinking it might have been designed as a more formal dining room display piece rather than strictly utilitarian kitchen furniture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One lady did initially pull a bit of a face, then immediately apologised and said there but for the grace of God . . . you never know it might be me in the future. Most people seemed not to give a jot though.

      Little Welsh dressers like this would tuck in anywhere - kitchen of sitting room. Much would depend on the size of the kitchen. Sometimes they can be pretty long, or deliberately made to fit into a corner of a kitchen (a splendid one like that in Carmarthen museum.)

      Delete