Friday 27 January 2023

Lincoln Cathedral - Part II

 


The tomb of St Hugh at Lincoln Cathedral.  Born in Avalon, his family moved to Grenoble, so he travelled a long way to become the Bishop of the cathedral, although that said, he was a deacon at Witham Chartherhouse in Somerset in 1179 so was already on English soil.  He was made Bishop of Lincoln in 1186. He is associated with a Swan - originally a territorial nasty-tempered beast, but with St Hugh, he became tame and biddable.  Hugh was canonized in 1220, and is the patron saint of sick children, sick people, shoemakers and swans.


Above and below, some lovely carved faces with great character from the Choir Screen.



Incredible work right across the Choir Screen.


The leather cap and the chisel behind his ear suggests that this was one of the Masons who worked here.


Leo the lion . . .


Weird faces guard a Bishop.




There were a number of Gardiner memorials in one area.  They were obviously an important local family.


More stunning stained glass.


Faces on the ceilings too . . .  These were in the Cloisters area.


Not sure if those are meant to be hands up at his mouth.  Why?







Some real magic for us two Pre-Raphaelite fans . . .

I hope that you have enjoyed Lincoln.  I would love to visit again, but can't see that happening.

Must dash as Keith has a speech therapy class on line this morning.

14 comments:

  1. Lincoln is one of many places I have not visited. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it Tom. Such an amazing place - it lifted the spirits, as all cathedrals do.

      Delete
  2. I hope Keith's speech therapy goes well. Has he been struggling with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he gets tired so easily and speech, like walking, is something which takes concentration.

      Delete
  3. Like you I wanted to know about those hands in the mouth of the face in the roof. What wonderful history these places hold and have seen.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt I'll find out, but will so some research. Cathedrals are just so joyous and fascinating.

      Delete
  4. Two lovely posts - and thanks for all the photos. Its a cathedral and city I would love to visit. We were very close to it once having gone elsewhere in Lincolnshire but decided sadly in the end we didn't have time to do it justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a shame you didn't get to see it. I hope you will holiday up that way again.

      Delete
  5. You really did take some nice details of the Cathedral, It's nearer to me than you but I wonder if I will ever get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, a weekend away would do the trick I reckon. It was full of detail - I daresay I missed a lot more than I captured.

      Delete
  6. These posts have led me to an exploration of Lincoln Cathedral and a comparison with Chichester Cathedral which I’m familiar with. I do love seeing old buildings and objects through your eyes. Interestingly the parts of Chichester I love the most are Chagall’s window (I first became aware of his work in glass when I was in Israel as a kibbutz volunteer in 1980) and the crucifixion by Graham Sutherland (I think his green paintings of Pembrokeshire are some of my favourite artworks) and of course Philip Larkin’s poem ‘An Arundel Tomb’. Feeling reflective this evening as I have heard today of the death of a new local friend and today there were two separate funerals in Petworth church of people I knew. How was the speech therapy? I can imagine not easy online. I am bookshopped out but it has been a good week after a very quiet start to the year and still a Saturday to go. I need to arrange something fun for Sunday I think. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I ever went inside Chichester Cathedral - mainly went to Chichester for the Festival Theatre and the occasional shopping trip. I have absolutely no knowledge of Chagall, but can see he is obviously a modern glassmaker than I am used to.

      So sorry to hear of the loss of friends. There were several open graves when I went through St Mary's churchyard down in the town last week, so the winter illnesses have been helping people on their way.

      Speech therapy was an overall appraisal, and people could put the opinions (Keith didn't) but I've been pro-active and got a voice recording app on my phone so Keith can practice on there and hopefully make progress.

      Delete
  7. What awesome carvings and stained glass. I always have enjoyed looking at stained glass and now I am going to look for carvings as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a glorious artistic place the cathedral is Jennie. We did briefly stop at Lincoln once but never went in because it was so cold there. There must be a history of the craftsmen who embellished the stonework.

    ReplyDelete