Tuesday 3 January 2023

Some country air

 . . . . and heavy rain, and hail, and a thunderstorm hereabouts, but I went for a New Year's Day walk anyway.  Not far, just down the bridleway, and up into the woods and across the fields on the footpath across the hill towards the church. I was soaked after the first five minutes!  My walking boots were necessary as it was pretty wet and boggy in parts, but it was good just to get out and get some fresh air, and notice that the catkins won't be long in spring into bloom.  In fact, on my way to Brecon last week there was one Hazel tree beside the A470 which was covered in golden tassles.  It made me smile.  I wish I could have gotten a photo but nowhere to pull over along there.

The little river at the bottom of the dingle.


A very dead tree . . .



A blush of maroon colour from the twigs on the Silver Birches.



The footpath goes across this field.




Pinky catkins on the Alders.



Oak moss is everywhere in this part of Wales, so much on some trees it gives them a winter "foliage".



Above and below: the trackway which borders our bit of woodland (about half an acre of so) on the slope beside the track.




Finally, Little Whale, licking his lips in appreciation of the Bank Vole he had just scoffed.  He brought it back for the babies, yowling to announce his prowess, but they didn't understand what he wanted them to do with it!

HERE is a link to a lovely article about the Gwaun Valley in Pembrokeshire, which is like stepping back in time.  Do sit down and have a read.

    I have had a busy morning so far.  I helped Keith get dressed earlier on, though it takes him about an hour from waking to get his ablutions done and finally downstairs for breakfast.  Yesterday I shaved him, cut his hair and his toenails.  We know how to have fun!!

    It's bin day, so I had to take the rest of the paper and cardboard out to the blue box, top up the red one with hard plastics/tins etc and take them up the lane.  Then come back for the very full wheelybin (they get emptied every three weeks).

    I've done two lots of washing, organized a Careline panic alarm for Keith, so I have peace of mind if I am out somewhere (and it means I can actually have the occasional morning or afternoon out), and am just filling in the form for it.

    The last decorations are coming down - I got the wreath down and will strip it later.  Only one decoration survived the weather so I will have to use plastic baubles next year.  

    I brought home a couple of read-once books from the Tesco book-rehoming shelves - both by Ken Follett (Pillars of the Earth and World Without End).  I first read them so many years ago it will be like reading them afresh.

    Now we are off for fresh blood-tests for Keith.  I have put his wheelchair in the car as the walk to and from the Dr's last week has made him totally without energy.  So much for the 1/2 a steroid working . . .

23 comments:

  1. While I love all the seasons in their turn I have to say winter is one of my favourites because we get to see the very bones of the land. I love seeing the skeletal trees more than the leaf covered ones of summer. So sorry to hear Keith is drained of energy again. I'm afraid I know that feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to see the shapes of the trees too, but spring is my favourite season. From the first tentative wild flowers in the hedgerows to full blown May, which is just THE best time in the year for me.

      The PD nurse did think it could be his thyroid levels, but the last blood test showed these to be OK, even on the miniscule dose he takes. Sorry you are bone weary too - is there ever a "correct doseage"?

      At least his blood pressure was back to normal today - if anything a tad high!

      Delete
  2. Oh my, but that walk seems to have put you in good spirits! Thanks for taking us along! A good ramble in a thunderstorm sounds quite wonderful, actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was lovely. Sadly, things have gone downhill since with Keith's health and now I have a poorly Pippi, who is booked in to the vet later.

      I once walked in a snowstorm (having abandoned my car) and there was Thundersnow, and I was on a hilltop and feeling somewhat vulnerable. Prefer to look out at it now!

      Delete
  3. What beautiful photos, and I'm pleased you were able to have a nice walk.
    Yesterday evening in Pembrokeshire we had an amazing sunset, it highlighted the bare bones of a huge tree in the field behind us and lit up the trees nearer the house in a luminescent pink - fabulous!
    Alison in Wales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alison. Pembrokeshire will always get the better weather soonest and you get to see more of the sunsets than us (we have trees and a goodly slope in the way). I bet you didn't have your camera handy to take a photo of those pink trees!

      Delete
    2. You're right - I didn't! x
      Alison x

      Delete
  4. So pleased you managed to get out for a short walk which looks lovely. So sorry to hear Keith is so drained of energy. Hope you managed trip to GP ok. My son has been recommending "Pillars of the Earth" to me. Just started reading a Donald Sinden book on English Country Churches which is full of charming illustrations by his grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need a long walk today but am waiting for the Surgery to phone back. We have to use the wheelchair to get Keith in and out of the Dr's now. You will enjoy Pillars of the Earth, I can guarantee. Donald Sinden - now there's a name I've not heard in a while. Must look out for that book.

      Delete
  5. What pretty photos. I always wondered what catkins were and now I know.

    I hope Keith did well at his appointment.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I had to look away when the lass was searching for a vein - 4 goes before she went for a different one!

      Glad you know what catkins are now.

      Delete
  6. Rustic Pumpkin's comment about the skeletal trees of winter reminded me of my mother, who often said the bare tree branches in winter looked like delicate lace. It looks like you had a good walk through some lovely country side. I will check out the article on the Gwaun Valley. I hope Keith's blood work shows some improvements or else a path in that direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed Celie. We are blessed with beautiful countryside hereabouts - it was lovely where we used to live, great views, but we have a different outlook here which I prefer. I hope you enjoy that article. Indeed, we felt like we were going back in time when we first moved to Wales at the end of the 1980s.

      Waiting to hear from the surgery now about an emergency appt.

      Delete
  7. I especially like the photo with the tree " the footpath goes across this field"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice along there. A neighbour used to breed Hannoverians and has just the two now, mother and 7 year old strapping chestnut son. Sometimes they will be in this field as they have the run of his land now (3 or 4 fields in all and big barn stabling for shelter.)

      Delete
  8. Your walk and photos are so beautiful, thank you. I esp love the photo of the oak moss. You get so much done, so much energy, good health or lots of ''grit'' [perseverance].

    May you and your family have a happy and healthy New Year to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed them Lizzy. You would love that Oak moss on sprigs in the house. So decorative.

      "True grit" - yup, needing some of that at the moment. Happy new year to you too.

      Delete
  9. Sad to hear that Bessie isn't too well. We visited for Hen Galan in the 80s and she lit the fire in the front parlour for us. In the bar, all the seats are all old sewing machinist seats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd been there when we were closer to it. I hope that Drew Pritchard never discovers those old sewing machinist seats . . .

      Delete
  10. Good morning Jennie. I am familiar with this part of Pembrokeshire. We have holidayed a few times in a NT farmhouse close to Dinas Head when the children were young. Did I ever mention that our honeymoon in 1992 was spent in a byre at Stackpole and we returned with the children many times. I will never forget the magic of that first visit though. I remember all the furniture was made by the Prince of Wales Trust from Welsh oak and ash using traditional methods and the bed was made up with Welsh textiles. Now BB you and I have no excuse but to walk everyday. We wear wellies this time of year (good ones made by Aigle designed for walking) so we can go anywhere and they keep the bottoms of our walking trousers clean and dry. It was an absolutely horrid day yesterday but still we went out for a three mile/one hour loop. The previous day had been glorious and I gardened in the morning and we walked in the afternoon. The air felt so soft and springlike and I was down on my haunches weeding under the beech hedges where I’ve been planting snowdrops in the green over the years. They are just peeping through. I also cleared all the mushy leaves from around the perpetual spinach and chard and should get a few more harvests from those. The kale and purple sprouting broccoli look full of vigour, garlic is a bit floppy and no sign of any rhubarb sprouting yet. I should split my one plant which came to me as a root wrapped in newspaper from a friend when she visited Yorkshire. I’ve been top dressing the asparagus and strawberries with ash from the woodburner and must remember to cut the autumn raspberries down soon. I will thin them out too as they have gone rogue growing outside the fruit cage. Inside the fruit cage I have a white currant, two red gooseberry bushes, strawberries, cherry ‘Stella’ and all my greens. I just love this time of year - so much promise and lots to look forward to - onwards and upwards BB - we will survive and thrive. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only walking I managed yesterday was to and from the vet's, the GP's (twice), to Boots, round Co-op for newspaper and onions, and I didn't sit down to relax until gone 8 p.m. Then up and down with Keith all night long.

      Your snowdrops will look beautiful soon. We have a few here, but I'd like to add to them. I must get some garlic planted and am thinking of making a veggie plot in the bottom triangle of paddock, as in the centre there is plenty of light and a good depth of soil (centuries of leafmould).

      Stackpole is a lovely place - I did some work in the Archives on papers called up from the vaults about life on the estate. The Cawdors had land in our part of the Cothi valley too, indeed owned quite a chunk of Carmarthenshire. Their son, Captain The Hon. Ronald George Elidor Campbell died on the Zlobani Mountain in 1879. Ask me about his war diary sometime . . .

      I will go and check on my Rhubarb plants today - they may just be pushing through now.

      Delete
  11. I'm so glad I found your blog, love those kitties! You live in a beautiful place...I'm in rural Central New York State...hope Keith fares better and improves. God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome Della. Glad you like the kitties. There'll be plenty more photos, as they grow. I hope you weren't hit too badly by that recent Weather Bomb with the terrible snow and conditions.

      We have our finger on cause of Keith's downturn this past week and on the very long waiting list to see a Neurologist.

      Delete