Friday 17 March 2023

A Lark Ascending

 


Well, the planned walk didn't work out as apparently they are doing Ash Die-back felling and so you can't reach the waterfall.  Ah well, another time.  So we went up to Pant y Llyn instead and had a lovely walk around the lake.  The sun came out in glimpses and there were Skylarks singing above us all the way round.  Pure magic.  Natural remedy for lowering Blood Pressure too!


One of the 8 or so ponies out on the moorland, this one heavily in foal.



A couple more from the group.  The little dirty "grey" in the background is actually palomino in a grubby winter coat, and is the stallion (Section A Welsh).


There were a few sheep about but no mountain lambs yet.


One of those sunshine glimpses I mentioned, popping through the clouds over the other side of the Eppynt range.

 A rocky crag overlooking the lake.


Another sun-spot.  This is Moelfre hill, just up the road from us.  I must try and walk up there this summer (out the door here, and up the track.)


I love the Mohican haircut look of those Army plantings of Conifers. Coming back along the Llandovery road, we see those and know we are nearly home.

I am having an easy day of things today.  Last day of Cheltenham, and the long-awaited Gold Cup race.  I will try and fit in a little more family history research too.  This morning I was working on a line from mum's side of the family -  the Paytons in Somerset.  I have been fortunate in inheriting my g.g. granny Payton's complexion and not too many lines!  I've been doing Hobbs and Battams too, and need to pinpoint which of g.g?granny's siblings moved to Sheffield and had a famous g.g?grandson (Jarvis Cocker).  We're something like 2nd cousins once removed .. . I think!

The walk has made me feel wonderful - all we could hear was Larksong and the occasional sheep baa.  

Kittens are busy "catching" the spots of light cast by my mirror light catcher by the door!

Have a good weekend all.

16 comments:

  1. That's a moody looking sky. Lovely to see the ponies grazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Panning out, the sky looked a bit more promising. We're looking forward to seeing the foals.

      Delete
  2. How lovely to see and hear Larks. So glad your walk gave you a boost x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pleased to hear you more upbeat after your lovely walk. My goodness it looks cold though. It's biting cold here today too. I do like your new cover photo. The light and the contrast of colours are really pretty. Deb in Wales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too cold at all, and today is positively balmy. That photo turned out well.

      Delete
  4. Lovely photos, I especially like the ponies. Both have shaggy winter coats.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They need all that coat for a winter on the hills. They'll start moulting soon, to the birds' delight.

      Delete
  5. What a breathtaking view on your Header! And lots of other gorgeous photos too. Have a great weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very fortunate around here, it is very lovely. Until the pylons go up.

      Delete
  6. Saw our first lambs of the year whilst out cycling on Thursday. I think it has been so cold at night lately the ewes have been hanging on! This time last year I had tulips in flower in the cattle trough. How lovely to hear the skylark. Did you know that Vaughan Williams composed his most famous piece of music after hearing the skylarks on Effingham Common whilst he was out and about in Surrey collecting folk songs. Here we hear and see them regularly on arable land and on top of the Downs. I love the Welsh ponies too. Have a lovely weekend BB. I invested in a new pair of walking boots yesterday (made by Scarpa with Goretex waterproofing) so after work this morning I am looking forward to a walk to test them out. Hope it dries up as it’s quite damp and drizzly right now. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been a few lambs on the ground for a good month here, but the hill farmers lamb later, being higher up. I didn't know Vaughan Williams was inspired by the Effingham Common Skylarks. They made me so happy to hear them.

      Today's walk totally different, as it was around Llandod Lake. Hope your new walking boots are comfy and get lots of use.

      Delete
  7. And Joe Cocker was Jarvis's uncle - even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize that. Famous rellies indeed!

      Delete
  8. I though the Lark Assending was a rose, we just bought one. The place you went is on the hillside outsde of Builth, I've not been there but I have to the church on th eroad from Builth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, and you will LOVE yours (mine was my favourite last year). You would enjoy the walk around the pool and not too far to go.

      Delete