Sunday 5 March 2023

Llangorse Lake

 


Llangorse Lake has a long and fascinating history, although the Crannog (photo below shows the modern reconstruction of it, now used for a wedding venue I believe).  Irish kings and princes settled here and  Brychan Breichiniog**, son of the Irish King Anlach settled here, giving links to 5th-7th C Ireland - where indeed Crannogs are to be found in goodly numbers.  In 1925, a hollowed out tree which formed a dugout canoe (dated to the 9th-10th C) was found and preserved, and can now be seen in Brecon Museum.  (I can recommend this museum, especially if you are interested in Early Christian Monuments).


**He had several wives and MANY children - any number between 12 and 63, but 24 is the most likely.  Many became Saints . . . 


HERE is a link to more information about the discovery and excavation of the Crannog and HERE is the Wikipedia page.

There were Mallards, Coots, Canada Geese and Swans on the water.


Looking across to the far shore of the Lake where the little Gothic church of Llangasty Tal-y-llyn is to be found (just out of shot on the left).


Canada Geese (I think) flying over and preparing to land.


A single Cormorant.







It is worth visiting in the summer for the wildlife.  These darters and dragonflies are to be found in goodly numbers.


A Coot (Moorhens have a dab of red on their faces, and Coots don't).  



Next time, before it gets forgotten.

16 comments:

  1. Lovely photos x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely place to visit. So full of history.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will have to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you out and about, but my hasn’t it been cold this weekend. I book-ended a visit to a local garden with two short sessions in the garden yesterday - shifting more compost to the veg plot and mowing the grass in the kitchen garden. My reward: kale and herbs for our roast pork dinner last night. Thinking hard about digging a pond, although we always see lots of dragonflies in the garden and occasionally hundreds visit the meadow all in one go. That reminds me, I did a tour of the meadow yesterday and spotted hundreds of the silvery grey pointed rosette leaves of the bee orchid - a happy moment. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saves my sanity. Not too cold here until today and this evening we suddenly think ah yes, snow is probably on the way! There was an icing sugar dusting on the hills today. We inherited a very big pond when we bought this house - unfortunately they put it beneath two big Beech trees, so it is full of dead leaves which are difficult to eradicate. Half of it is full of very overgrown and spreading Flag Irises too but the wildlife likes it. Oh how wonderful to have Bee Orchids- let alone hundreds of them!

      Delete
  5. That was an interesting read about the crannog in the link you provided. So much of the history still clings to it. I quite like the idea that it was an Irish influence with maybe Irish people who built it. The only one in Wales, and England of course has none.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went to a Crannog Centre when we did our Irish Field Trip. This is just for show really.

      Delete
  6. I love that your history is so entangled with myth and magic. Our own history is a matter of fact recounting of people and places. 12-63 children???!!! My gosh. Imagine the table for that brood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he was clearly quite a lusty man! He must have had a very long table, as you point out!

      Delete
  7. I learn so much from your blog! I googled crannogs, having not heard of them before, and went from one site to another. How interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you find what I write about interesting Celie. Looking back, I should have been a teacher, which is what my dad wanted me to do.

      Delete
  8. I wonder how many people have had a go at pulling the sword from the stone? It does the soul a world of good, a few hours immersed in nature doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dare say that sword is germ central in the summer! I had a lovely walk round Llandod Lake yesterday, identifying the wild birds there (saw a Grebe, but it was very shy and kept diving and coming up further and further away from me.)

      Delete