Tuesday 7 March 2023

When your legs don't want to work! Plus a visit to St Thomas a Becket Church, Huntington.


 Well, it was just as well we went to Brita's lovely little Antiques Fair at Llandeilo on Saturday, as our planned trip to Malvern Fleamarket didn't happen on Sunday.  When we got back from Llandeilo, we both felt like we'd walked there and back (about 70 miles!)  I got Keith's Mobility Scooter into the car, and was thinking about making the rolls up to eat on the morrow, but put that on hold.  We ate our evening meal but both of us were feeling worn out and groggy, and so listened to our bodies and I didn't set the alarm. I woke around 6 a.m. but was so glad to be able to just turn over and go back to sleep.  

Yesterday we had an appt. with the Solicitor in town to have a fresh will made up for this property, but when the phone went at 10a.m., I said to Keith, "That will be the Solicitor cancelling our appt", and indeed it was. I was pleasant, but called into their office when I was in town and then I said, this has been going on since November when we first made an appt. and had to wait until mid-January for that, and then that one was cancelled.  Perhaps they didn't want our custom, in which case we would go elsewhere.  Hopefully they will get themselves in gear now but tbh, I think I will try a different solicitor.


Right, change of subject - I saw this old farm cart on the way to visit St Thomas a Becket Church at Huntingdon.  Quite a rare dedication apparently.

It is believed that this church stands on the site of a much earlier Saxon church.  It's certainly in a quiet spot - you drive through a farmyard to reach it.  It is reputed to have been rebuilt in 1210 at the behest of Richard le Bret, one of the murderers of Thomas a Becket as part of his penance. Post-Reformation, all but 4 churches dedicated to Thomas a Becket were rededicated, as he was deemed not to have been a saint.

By 1890 it was in quite a state of delapidation, as were many churches by the Victorian era and was rebuilt at the expense of Lady Arabella Romilly of nearby Huntingdon Park. There is more info HERE.  Also HERE.  The 2nd link gives excellent photographs of the interior and more information.




On the approach I noticed the remains of a tower beyond the fields, and it was connected to the Norman establishment in the area, and at one point the Chaplain lived there. This is right by Offa's Dyke, a wild border area which needed controlling.


The glass in the porch was very pretty.


The font is 14th C.


Lovely solid oak pews.


A Lancet window with a beading of stained glass surrounding it.




Memorials to the local Watkins family.





Sorry, not good light down this end of the church, so you can't see the Rood screen very clearly.




Sorry the photos are rather blurred.  This was the old camera which has been playing up more and more so in future I will just use it for local walks and stick to my new camera for  trips out.



I've made a big pan of soup/stew for lunches for the next few days - there were sad looking veg at the bottom of the fridge, and I had some mince to use up, plus two tinned chopped tomatoes, one of green lentils etc.  I did the grocery shop early yesterday as snow is on the way (just a tiny sprinkle on the hilltops first thing so far) and we are all stocked up now.  Keep warm everyone.

11 comments:

  1. You led me off on an interesting google chase all right! I never knew that one could be unsainted. I'd heard the story of his death, but I guess that I had never really knew the events following the murder, or the implications of his death to the rest of the world. Thanks.

    I'd be finding a new solicitor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's a common fault with solicitors, isn't it? As an amusing anecdote. Along time ago, when solicitors, practises were very different to what they are today. A friend of ours and a colleague of his were engaging in a business transaction that needed each one to have a solicitor representing them. One was chatting to his solicitor in the pub as they did back then. His solicitor handed him a letter and said would you please hand this to the other solicitor? As I said, a different time and things were a lot less formal. However, Curiosity got the better of our friend. And he decided to open the letter. Imagine his utter horror to read the contents saying. We've got a right pair of cockerels here: you feather one, I'll feather the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your Solicitor anecdote. These ones specialize in complex Wills. Ours isn't.

      Delete
  3. What a fantastic church. When you wrote Huntingdon I thought you somehow travelled right over to the Eastern Counties!
    I've never heard of a solicitor avoiding taking money from someone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we're not impressed with the solicitors so I'm looking elsewhere now. Huntingdon in this context, is in Herefordshire,just.

      Delete
  4. I am glad you find this all of interest. All the things we WEREN'T taught at school!

    I am up for a different solicitor too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful church. I love the fount and the stained glass that adorns even the smallest of your churches is gorgeous.

    Hope you find a solicitor very soon.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I forgot to say that the Catholic Church has removed sainthood from a number of people.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What excellent links - thank you. We don't have those lovely old (musty) stone churches down here in New Zealand, as our christian history only goes back to the early 1800s, and most churches were made if wood - and so frequently burnt down, or got altered or demolished for a new one. I went to a Roman Catholic boarding school which had a very beautiful stone chapel, which was "consecrated" - rather than just "blessed" . . . because it was (a) made of permanent materials and (b) not carrying a debt. Something quite rare.

    I'd be looking for a new solicitor, and asking their fee before I agreed to anything. Fees can very widely, and if your will/s are fairly simple it ought to be straightforward and not hugely expensive. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Landmark Trust (and many other charities) often offer Will-writing services for a donation. Solicitors charge a lot of money (I think we were quoted around £700) and if like ours your Will is straightforward I would rather a charity benefited. We’ve woken up to snow this morning so I will be knitting (nearly finished the second pair of Exmoor socks - the first pair haven’t been off my feet since I finished them so I’m looking forward to having a second pair to alternate) and sewing the envelope back of the needlework cushion with a piece of rosy red upholstery-weight velvet which was a lucky find in the charity shop. When I have a finished size I can make up the calico inner and stuff it with sheep’s wool. We went on a special tour of Petworth house on Monday and I was living the Poldark dream when looking at the late 18th/early 19th century portraits. To keep my Poldark dream alive I have bought a camellia sinesis from Tregothnan in Cornwall. As a species camellia it has very simple slightly fragrant flowers and I can use the tips of the leaves to make my own tea! Keep warm and cosy and I hope you’ve a project or two to keep you busy if you are under a lot of snow! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a charming old church - just lovely. Solicitors can be such a pain at times or my experiences of them with my mother's estate and when my daughter bought her flat.

    ReplyDelete