Saturday 29 June 2024

A mouse in my sewing machine . . .

 Pippi's catching about three mice/voles a day at the moment.  Some are dying or dead, which I can cope with.  The very much alive ones mean a race between me and the kittens (though they're nearly 2 now!) to rescue them before one of them beats me to it.  I was just unwinding with a new-to-me book from the Co-op charity book corner (S J Parris: "Prophecy" - think Dr John Dee et al - it captured me from page 1) and Pippi mislaid a mouse under the settle.  I saw it bouncing from wall to wall trying to find a safe hiding place, with me in hot pursuit with a yoghurt pot with the foil lid still on and a pink pond net (courtesy of "I".)  I managed to rescue it and it ran off happily into the undergrowth to live another day.

A couple of days back she lost one and I knew it had been in the vicinity of my sewing machine but wasn't anywhere beside it.  Carefully I carried the sewing m/c outside and shut the door behind me and when I lifted the lid a big fat Bank Vole scuttled off, doubtless very relieved!


  Rhapsody in Blue in full bloom.


Keith has been difficult today, insisting on sitting on the rubber ring ALL day.  The D. Nurses said it wasn't a good idea as it would put too much pressure on the newly-formed skin, but he spelt out "I know best" so he can jolly well suffer if it all gets inflamed again.  I had to leave the room before teatime and leave Danny to it as K had made me cross and I didn't want to be angry with him.  I went and sat by the river with the new book and tried to relax.

I was up there all afternoon working on a 3/4 finished quilt which needed the design for two more borders marking through the stencil.  I began having one of those lose-it days though, and came downstairs with a reel of thread and promptly lost it.  Then I realized I couldn't hand-quilt the border I'd just marked, as I needed my quilting thread, so searched for my wooden box of quilting threads - EVERY colour except white was in there!  I have searched everywhere and can't turn the white up.  Frustrating.  I know where it was last and it's not there either!

My foot is annoyingly painful again today too and it's also frustrating that I can't just go out for a walk but have to try and rest it (not easy, as I've clocked up nearly 10K steps just around the house - mainly going up and downstairs I might add).  

Having finished reading The Tattooist of Auschwitz, I thought I would see the series on tv last night, and they've been faithful to the book.  I've seen the first 3 episodes.  D & E want to listen to Glastonbury tonight though - I was going to sit and sew - HAH - not now!  HAH 2 - literally just dowsed for it with my fingers and turned up a small reel of white quilting thread in a paper gift bag at the end of the table (full of fat 1/4s of fabric).  Right, I shall be off to sew now.  I LOVE hand quilting, and have already hand-quilted the central square of the quilt.  The complete centre is appliqued.  I'll take a fresh photo tomorrow to remind you which one it is.


I will buy more of these big Alliums next year and put them front of the long main bed- they look like starburst fireworks.

8 comments:

  1. Why are men such bad patients, always knowing what is best, even when its not and you were quite right to walk away and probably bite your tongue very hard. My OH although coming up for 77 is in good health apart from his sinus problem (and does he moan about it), but married life is all about the good and bad and everything in between. Keith must be very frustrated after being so active and I'm glad you managed to move house before his health problems started. Our house move is ever ongoing, tip and charity shop visits a regular occurrence. Love and hugs Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A. schubertii methinks. I am less fond of alliums nowadays than I used to be and the 10 A. Christophii bulbs I planted here are now down to two. To my nose they smell ever so slightly of onion (not a good smell on a hot day!) and they seed all over the shop and the dried seedheads bounce all over the place so yes I am over alliums except for growing garlic and leeks in the veg plot! You need a kestrel - or perhaps even a grass snake - on vole control. I’m not sure what you’ve done to your foot but I hear your frustration on not being able to go for a relaxing walk. Have you tried CBD balm? It has had magical pain-relieving properties on my knee so much so that I did a gentle 13km cycle ride with S this afternoon. We had a lovely quiet cycle along the lanes to the little church at Barlavington, on to Sutton and then back along the (extremely poached by hoof - had to keep dismounting and push through) bridleway to home where we had chocolate icecream (S) and raspberry sorbet (me) in the garden followed by a nice cup of tea. I picked salad and sweet peas, watered the salad and sweet peas and flopped in front of the tennis before girding my loins to make supper - Dexter beef burgers with beetroot, cous cous, feta and sunflower seeds and lots of lovely fresh salad. It’s now 9.45, the kitchen is closed and as S has just started watching football I will head up to bath and bed with a good book. Hope K will not rue sitting on the rubber ring and you all have a peaceful night. Sleep tight. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those Alliums!!! They do look exactly like fireworks. I am glad you found your white quilting thread and that you got to go and sit by the river for a bit.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so often mislay something in plain sight--go flapping about moving things and usually annoyed with myself when the item turns up.
    So easy to declare that our spouses can 'live with' the consequences of their decisions, but it always means we are in for it as well. In spite of their many capabilities, men are not reasonable beings!
    Our cats make it as far as the front steps with captured wildlife, but thankfully not often brought inside.
    I have two small pieces needing hand quilting--both have been lying dormant for several years. Hand sewing is not my forte!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound very skilled at mouse rescue. I'm enjoying your rose pictures. Sorry you couldn't get seen at the clinic regarding your foot, abysmal lack of understanding on their part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopefully the District Nurse will read the riot act to him! I had that with Pirate not wanting to listen to me!! He listened to her....

    Hand quilting is something special isn't it...not just that it takes longer, it adds that something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Us learning when we need to walk away is a HUGE thing x I know how frustrating it is when someone seems hell bent on setting them self back but the consequences affect us as much if not more. Tricky times for sure x Danette

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not keen on cats in our garden they tend to be after the birds, mind you the dog chases them off. That is a nice looking allium

    ReplyDelete