Sunday 16 June 2024

Threads Through Creation at Leominster Priory Church

 A long picture-heavy post, and there will be more textiles photos in a post tomorrow.  Yesterday I went to Leominster Priory Church to see the textiles exhibition by Jacqui Parkinson.  These fabulous hangings took her three years to design and make.  They are fabulous works of art and illustrate the Genesis story.  Sorry - few words from me as I'm busy today, playing catch-up after having a house-full yesterday when Tam, Jon and Rosie came to visit.  D,E and I are out at a re-enactment day at Tretower Court.  I wish I was there too.


If you click on the photos, you can enlarge them (useful for the words telling you about each piece).
































When I last visited, I missed the Piscina in this side chapel because there was an orchestra setting up there .










Finally some outside pictures showing the massive Norman door way and the beautifully carved capitals, carved by masons of the Herefordshire School of Romanesque Sculpture - though at the times they just thought of themselves as masons of course!  

I hope you are all having an enjoyable weekend.













12 comments:

  1. Beautiful work in the threads and stones

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a remarkable way to 'tell' the biblical stories. Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous!
    I'm always amazed by the details rendered by the stonemasons of long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How astonishingly beautiful and a marvelous depiction of the story.

    Ta for letting us see these amazing creations about Creatiuion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I preferred the more abstract designs to the ones depicting figures but can see how much work went into all of them. It always amazes me that people who are rigidly fundamental Christians or rigidly scientific don't see how closely Genesis fits with evolution and seem to think that one excludes the other. I remember being told that 'God's time is not the same as man's time' so that the term 'day' could easily refer to 'era'. Of course a belief or not, in God (or a higher power) is another matter altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My !! What lovely work, and so BIG!! They would make such a marvellously bright and energetic atmosphere in the building. And the corbels are magnificent too. I always wonder about the lives the stonemasons who carved them, and the conditions they lived in. So different from ours today. Thank you for a great post. May your weekend be enjoyable too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A friend of mine carved the stone lion on the Leominster library. He asked me to help and when I asked him if he really wanted it to look like the model he had made, he said he would manage on his own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are gorgeous! How wonderful that you got to see them in person. Thanks for sharing them here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully made textiles. I adore the seahorse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely is all I can say. People are so talented.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for all your comments and glad that you enjoyed this display. More textile photos later today.

    ReplyDelete