Friday 7 June 2024

Round and round the garden . . .

 Finally, the rest of the garden photos.


Indigo, with a matching Norah Barlow Aquilegia growing up through it.  This grows in a corner of the raised lawn here (surrounded by a low stone wall).  I am planning to strip this small square of lawn (which is a pain to mow) and put membrane down, covered by golden gravel/stone.


Bloomfield Courage, which is one of my favourites. This grows by the rhododendrons (rhodies).


Ebb Tide.


One of the yellow roses I inherited when we bought the house.  It was in a pot (as were two others) but they are all happier in the ground.  NO it's not - it's Bathsheba.  Look below in the long border to see the inherited ones.


The long border along the side of the house.


I am glad that several of the pink and yellow Aquilegias are established here now, and a few blue ones too, which were both scarce at Ynyswen.


Lilli Marlene.



The first Roserie de l'Hay.


I was awake and downstairs at 5 a.m. this morning and have been working on Gabby's quilt.  I started going wrong late afternoon so have had a break from it, and sat outside with the crime book I'm reading downstairs.

Keith is not at his best today, and struggling with eating, so has had sloppy food all day today.  I am on my own carewise this weekend, which I have been dreading.  I hope and pray that nothing goes wrong.  I shall be pottering around here anyway.  There is always plenty to be getting on with, inside and out.

Here are the William Morris curtains, well, one of them anyway.


Then the Laura Ashley pair.





Things to be thankful for:

A new book on Audible - I had paused my membership, then forgot it, so had a credit to spend.  I pondered over a good many books - nearly all ones I was familiar with and would like to revisit but they were big chunky books that took a lot of reading.  In the end I decided on an Edward Rutherford book, Sarum.  It was that or another of his books, Forest, about the New Forest.  I am a couple of hours in and greatly enjoying it.


The garden is beautiful an we have had sunshine.


Keith walked along the hall and down the 5 steps to the half landing again today.  (That will NOT be happening again until Danny comes back!)


I found a book of Pembrokeshire walks in the Co-op donated books today, so bought it for Danny & Emma, as they are in Pembs every couple of weeks throughout the summer.


Emma was successful in getting a job down the town.  (Downside, guess who picks up the childcare needs . . .)


Keith's tipping mattress arrives next Wednesday.


I'm also having a visit from a dear friend on Wednesday.

10 comments:

  1. Your long border is looking very lush, all that hard work you put in has paid off and it looks so pretty. I have 2 beautiful Golden Wedding Anniversary roses which have flowered a beautiful deep yellow tinged with pink, one given to us by our bridesmaids and the other by my oldest bff and her OH, they are in pots and will be coming with us. The decluttering continues although its getting less, I just want it over and done with now. Hope you cope and have a good weekend managing on your own. Hugs Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of things didn't survive the winter, so whenever there's a gap I bung something else in. I have two massive Cut-leaved Cranesbills in there - £3 each from a stand outside a house in Golden Valley last summer. Boy, I can see why they had some potted up to sell on - they have REALLY spread.

      Special Golden Wedding Anniversary roses of course have to go to your new home. I was sad to leave all my DA roses behind, but they were well established and just wouldn't have survived being dug up and replanted.

      Decluttering - yup, I should be doing what the oldies do in Sweden - I think it's called Death Cleaning! - and getting rid of my clutter . . . but I can't even do a car boot sale these days.

      Delete
  2. A wonderful opportunity to get to know little I a bit better! She seems as if she is a dear child.

    I'm curious what a tipping mattress is. I tried to google it, but all that came up were multiple discussions on whether mattress delivery folks should be tipped.

    Good luck this weekend, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, but looking after her comes out of the little time I have to do anything for myself which gives me respite at home.

      The tipping mattress is one which goes under the two air mattresses K's got and every hour gradually alters the level of the mattress on one side or the other to relieve pressure. Let's hope it works as it's a long haul back from the leaking catheter damage.

      Good luck may well be needed . . . but it IS nice to have a totally quiet house right now. "I" in full throttle is like an air raid siren!

      Delete
  3. I really love all your roses. I do not have any luck growing even the hardy ones for my zone here in Canada, and I so miss them (Mom grew a great many of them). Your garden is lovely and I really like the first curtain picture you posted.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They bring me great pleasure and I will always be trying to shoehorn a few more in! The two new ones "out front" are covered in buds and Blush Noisette opened her first flower yesterday - such a pretty pink and I could just discern the strong perfume. I hope my sense of smell returns sometime so I can enjoy their perfume again. Sorry you can't grow them where you are in Canada.

      Delete
  4. Your garden is lovely. The climate there is great for roses and so many other flowers. I hope all goes smoothly, as much as possible, this weekend. Thank you for clarifying which organization takes on the different care roles. It sounds complicated, but health care usually is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am pleased I have been able to make it more of a garden - not just grass and shrubs, with a lavender bed by way of flowers. There is a lot more colour now, and the insects LOVE my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve just played which is my favourite from your pics and I think it has to be Roserie de l’Hay. There are several specimens of this rose in the pink and purple border at Parham and their scent is so beautiful. On the strong advice of my friend I bought four sacks of puckamuck yesterday (a by-product of local racing stables) and spread it around under the pergola. It was gorgeous stuff and I am tempted to buy more for the veg garden. Up to now I have only used my own homemade compost but the heavy rain this last autumn/winter/spring has severely depleted my soil of nutrients and my plants, especially the roses, needed food! The tipping mattress sounds like it could really help to alleviate the pressure sores. I imagine, as with everything Parkinson’s related, healing is going to be slow. You are so good to step up for extra child care but at least it’s the summer now and presumably I will be going to school in September so it’s not for long. Would you take her swimming? I love swimming, it’s one of the highlights of my week. And a weekly visit to the library would be on my list too, preferably when the library is holding a pre-schooler activity such as story time. My daughter loved food shopping and used to say to me every morning when I went into her bedroom, Is it sopping day, mummy? Then of course there is always cooking to do and I’m sure you’ve mentioned how good I is at the washing up! I wonder if your local nature reserve organises activities for young children. Our local RSPB reserve has lots on for children from self-guided spotter sheets to more organised pond dipping. I am sure you will get into a pattern and I think especially in the summer it is nice to stay close to home and potter. Have you got a swing or if not could Danny rig one up? My T gave me a swing for my birthday soon after we moved and hung it from a large tree using his climbing equipment and expertise. I love it and probably sit on the swing more than I sit anywhere else in the garden. Have a lovely day BB. We’re forecast 5 degrees Celsius tonight so I’m happy I haven’t planted out the French beans yet and neither have I planted out basil, although I may throw some netting over the sweetcorn, courgette and squash plants just in case. What is going on with our weather?! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where would we be without roses x Hoping the coming weeks hold a little pauses for you and that in some you can get out to enjoy your lovely garden x Danette

    ReplyDelete