Wednesday, 22 July 2026

Courgettes with everything!

I was looking after Rosie yesterday as Tam has had to change her Tuesday childminder, who was not ideal in several ways.  She starts with the new one in September.  I set my alarm for 5.45 a.m.  Of course, today it wasn't set and I slept deeply till 3 a.m. and then my brain reckoned it was too awake to sleep.  Typical. Rosie is nearly at the stage of giving up her daytime nap.  She managed until - literally - the very moment Tam parked her car outside at 5 p.m.!


By the showground yesterday morning.

Rosie wanted me to read to her yesterday, LOTS.  The Gruffalo's Child is her favourite (Tam knows it off by heart - as she demonstrated one evening when they were here).  I also had to read the Dinky Donkey twice! Lots of others too.  It's good that she loves stories so much.

I intended to have chips for tea last night, as so late back.  Wrong move - it's Show Week, so that was off the menu and I had a tin of Ravioli instead.  Washing up - one bowl and one fork :)

It's Welsh Cob day at the Royal Welsh today, so I will watch that on tv later.  It was really busy around there yesterday even really early when I was driving through before 7 a.m.  The car sales place opposite the showground has had steel fencing put up around the premises as usual - a wise move since some top of the range ATV's (All Terrain Vehicles, posh quad bikes) were nicked from the showground.  How I don't know, as of course they have Security Guys and lock the entrances at night.  

The extra pink prints I ordered for the quilt arrived yesterday.  Alex (patchwork teacher) suggested a border, so you can guess what I will be doing today . . .  I need to get a white king size sheet to back it too.  (I'll get one from Tesco's on Saturday).  

It's been cool enough for short local walks, and a little tending in the garden too, at ends of the day.  I think we are due rain at the weekend, but hoping NOT whilst we are at the beach, in memory of Keith - though he would laugh at the irony of that!


I am close to finishing Kate Ellis' The Skeleton Room now.  I have Alison Weir's Queens in the Age of Chivalry to read, and picked up an Elizabeth Chadwick novel on the Co-op charity table, To Defy a King (that king being the pretty awful King John at that).  I wonder if they will ever find the treasure that was lost when his enterage crossed the Wash?  Bearing in mind it was quicksand, it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Updte - went back to bed, but only dozed (mainly just shut my eyes).  It will catch up with me later.  Cool here now (7 a.m.) - 12 deg. and overcast.  I need to get the bed stripped and remade and do something with the mince I defrosted in the fridge whilst I was out yesterday.  That something will involve some of the enormous organic courgettes Ed gave me :)  They feature in every meal at the moment!  He and Sam eat them raw, as part of a salad.  Not something I can get excited about. I will make a Lemon Drizzle cake for the family for Saturday too.  

4 comments:

  1. I have five courgettes in the fridge - and have eaten so many that I'm beginning to go right off them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about Chocolate Courgette Cake - you won't know they are in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is great Rosie enjoys stories and books so much. My children loved listening to stories when they were little. We have some courgettes in our fridge too and I think my son is going to make a smokey courgette pasta with them. Chocolate courgette cake you mention above is lovely - we have made it in the past. The fridge courgettes were bought - the courgette plants we have outside only just have courgettes forming. I really enjoyed the Kate Ellis series of books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm good at reading to little ones. Says she modestly! Not monotone - I add character to voices.

      I always get overwhelmed with Ed's courgettes this time of year and don't bother growing them for myself now!

      Delete