Thursday 22 June 2017

A day of baking


I was in a very positive mood when I came back from seeing the Respiratory Nurse at the Hospital last week, as my tests showed a 20% increase on how they had been last year.  I have had to up my Fostair inhaler and have been prescribed a stronger one (hopefully temporarily - she has suggested carrying on until the pollen season is over and then trying the lower dose again). 

I was in a baking mood and decided to fill the freezer.  Dorset Apple Cake times 2 - one with crystalised ginger in, which brought it to a whole new level of yumminess!  I'll add some recipes later on.


A tray of Dorset Ginger Biscuits ready to go in the oven.  These were not a patch on my Cornish Ginger Fairings I usually make.


Beef Cobbler with cheese scone topping.


I doubled the cheese scone mixture and made some scones, which are now in the freezer.


A pan of Spaghetti Bolognese sauce, also frozen.


A Panasonic loaf too . . .

Phew, what a heat wave we have had.  It is overcast and much cooler today so I should be able to just have to water round once instead of morning and evening.  I shall leave you with a photo of one of the roses in pots - a David Austin rose, Teasing Georgia.




10 comments:

  1. Well done you baking in yesterday's heat, BB. I managed some cakes for my boys and that was it. The cobbler looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, this was last Friday, before it got scorching hot Louise. The cobbler IS absolutely delicious and fills up all the corners. I'll put the recipe up later.

      Delete
  2. Love the look of those bakes (will remember the idea of ginger in the Dorset Apple cake). Too hot and humid here to even think of putting oven on :( Glad to hear you had a good meeting with the nurse. The rose is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband loves ginger in all its forms so it goes in much of my baking (WHEN I can persuade him to eat cake that is!) and he won't eat stewed rhubarb without it. I have to say, it is a great ingredient for recipes sweet and savoury.

      Delete
  3. like minds and all that. I am about to try my hand at preserving ginger in syrup, just need to stock up the sugar supplies after jam and cordial making. Love the sound of ginger in an apple cake, I put it my cookies all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a proper baking session and reminds me of the Sunday afternoon 'bake offs' my mum used to do aided of course by me. I'll remember the stem ginger tip when apple cake season rolls round again. I made pastry and rolled out a quiche base the other day but it was too hot to put the oven on so it's still In the fridge but today is much cooler so we'll have quiche Lorraine this evening with harvested today Charlotte potaoes and salad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am exhausted just looking at your baking - but quite fancy eating it!
    Adore that rose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my roses. Mum was the same. When I'm in the mood, the baking just flies together, but OH, the washing up afterwards!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look at all your baking and I am dieing. Even with an AC home when It is 118 outside it is hot and no oven will be used till September.
    The roses it so beautiful.

    cheers, parsnip and thehamish

    ReplyDelete