Sunday 28 May 2017

Brecon Beacons shadows and a sort of Gardening Day Off


These first few photos were taken from a lay-by on the A40 as we were heading homewards from Wotton Auction last week.  My husband knows how I love a good view, and pulled over and told me to take some photos of this beautiful Brecon Beacons scenery.  I didn't need any further persuasion.  I loved the lengthening shadows across the uneven fields.




Today we had intended to do a car boot sale, but both us felt rather tired and can't be bothered yesterday, so we decided we would just go down and "shop" - or at least, look round.  We always see dealer friends and have a chat and so even if there isn't anything to buy to stock our Unit or stall, we can pass the time of day.  We managed to find a couple of good bits today, but they weren't your £1 bargains, and we spent a big chunk of money on them. 

When we got home I thought I would see how my next new inhaler (started this morning) was working.  It's difficult to tell when the weather is hot and humid as my asthma never responds well to that.  I shall be quite glad for it to rain tonight (and according to the forecast, tomorrow too).  The garden will be glad as well.  As you can see, it is rewarding being watered by me in the hot weather recently.  Below is a lovely clematis I got for a couple of pounds from Morrisons about 3 years back.  I planted it to scramble over our fallen apple tree and it is very slowly doing so.  A montana it is NOT!




I bought three new panels of trellis this week to start replacing the old stuff (why is it everything seems to last 15 years and then decide to give up the ghost.  We are at a similar stage with the concrete holding the big slabs around the big goldfish pond.  As there are goldfish in it, we daren't mix up fresh as any lime getting into the water would do for them.  Mind you, it needs a total clean out so we may have to temporarily rehome them in a big barrel we have and do just that.  I haven't told my dearly beloved I have this plan yet though . . .










On my walk, I passed this gigantic polytunnel which is being used for the sheep.  It had the ewes in to lamb earlier in the year, and is now shelter for the rams.  I should imagine this cost a bob or two . . .  Gosh, I could keep us supplied in vegetables year round in one this size - I should think it would have its own eco system!


One of the too-few Foxgloves still gracing the verges hereabouts.  The wretched Council has already trashed all the verges locally (though not our lanes YET) so they look like they are part of a Corporation Park.  Of course, this is so they can eradicate the Cow Parsley which is public enemy No. 1 to them (whilst they ignore Ragwort on their land, which is in quantities which make them liable to prosecution!  They claim it is to make the roads safe for motorist as they can't see round bends because of the long grass etc.  Well, motorists should jolly well slow down then and drive in accordance with the conditions!


A yellow rose I planted which I have long forgotten the name of.  Covered in thrips by the look of it.


Teasing Georgia, a David Austin rose.


Tess of the D'Urbervilles (DA rose).  She needed a little tlc today as her roots had gotten a bit exposed and she wasn't making good growth.  I have a nice (much bigger) tub for her to go in but not sure if it is a good idea to transplant her in bloom.  Think it would be better for her long-term, so will probably do that later this week.  I fed all the roses some dried chicken poo pellets, to follow on from the rose feed they had recently.  They have been struggling with the sudden change in temperatures so needed a boost.



A clematis I bought in Charlies this week to replace a Honeysuckle I have ripped out - it never ever flowered, so it's going to make room for this clematis.  I was NOT going to grace B&Q with my presence again, after the debacle of lifting my own (2-man lift) bales of compost last week when no-one came after she called them on the tannoy 4 times.  A charming young man was very very helpful with the trellising and I shall use them in future for my garden needs.



My irises in full bloom, but some have already gone over - they don't last long, and then there are an awful lot of strappy leaves instead.  I have hollyhocks desperate to be planted so need to make some room around these for them.


Whilst the garden thrums with bees (which just ADORE the Cranesbill "Weeping Widow") I can't bring myself to cut it back for a second flush, but as you can see it is engulfing my Pinks!  I went a bit mad on them (whilst I was still patronizing B&Q) and bought 3 x Cranmere Pool; 2 x Starburst; 1 x Arctic Star; 2 x Fire Star; 1 x Lily the Pink; 1 x Sherbert and 1 x Stargazer.  They are a mixture of Alpine and Cottage Pinks and smell amazing.

I have more Hay photos to put up when I have time, but I am trying to get on top of the garden before the June pollen levels mean I need to spend more time indoors out of the pollen.  I got the peasticks in the pots today and the first peas are just coming through (I know, VERY late planting them).  My runner beans are in and climbing well.  I started some Pak Choi in a planter, and also a Lemon Basil from a free packet with a gardening magazine I got recently - very good value as it had about £20 worth of free seeds AND a pair of free good gardening gloves, which had been on my shopping list anyway, so there was no 2nd thought on my purchase. 

Let's hope we have dry weather tomorrow.  I feel sorry for the folk who hope for good weather at Bank Holidays because they go off in their caravans or have a week's Whitsun holiday with the family. 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful views of the Brecon Beacons and your garden looks so lovely. So many beautiful plants. I get so angry here too when Councils cut the verges - one minute full of wild flowers and insects and the next all gone :( Although both Birmingham and Solihull Councils are planting a lot of wild flowers on traffic roundabouts which is good to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me spit. Of all the ways the Council could REALLY save money, not cutting verges until late summer is one of them. OK, cut them back on margins of T-junctions or similar, but apart from that . . . The Council even trimmed up the side of the hedgerow along the A40 - presumably to eradicate the Cow Parsley, but probably upsetting nesting birds too. Not that they know of such things existing.

    ReplyDelete