Monday 16 September 2019

A day out to remember - Pt. 1 - St Mary's Church, Kempley


Yes, you may recognize the view and yes, it was another Malvern day yesterday!



Above and below - French goodies.  I liked those painted dark blue handled bowls but doubted I could have made a profit on them.  Sweet little bird-house below.




Another lovely painted window.  I thought to myself, I could do that.  When we move, perhaps I will!!


Sundries outside.  There was a mischievous wind which blew both the paintings over a few minutes later.

Anyway, we came away from Malvern Flea, and just for badness (and because Tam wanted to) went to Ledbury car boot sale, which was huge yesterday and filled the entire field.  I just bought some local apples (Early Windsors) and some Apricots, but we had a good wander.  By the end of the day I had clocked up over 22,000 miles on my Fitbit!


Whilst there is no record of a church on this site in the Domesday Book of 1086, there may well have been a Saxon church on the site.  Kempley Church was on land belonging to Hugh de Lacy, (of Lassy in Normandy), whose father came over with the Normans following the Battle of Hastings.  Hugh had founded the original Llanthony Priory in the Black Mountains and although he probably had the church built here, he died in 1121 and would not have lived to see it completed.  The chapel arch and south and west doorways are Romanesque (as indeed are the wonderful paintings, which are of national importance) and construction was in the 12th  C "Dymock" style of sculpture.


Below:the South door, showing the Tynpanum and chevron Norman archway.


These are the original 12th C doors, which is pretty amazing.  I love the hinges on this one into the tower.  Those trees probably began growing as Britain emerged from the Dark Ages . . .





You would think this Parish Chest was another original 12th C piece but dendro shows it dates to the 16th C - perhaps it was made to copy the original chest?  Below, "the stone cross was discovered during the 1912-13 works on the tower and may have been the finial on the west gable until the construction of the tower dislodged it". (Taken from the brochure I bought in the church.)



Above, dendrochonology has shown that the timbers of the roof date to 1120 - 1150, and the roof is one of the earliest surviving in Europe.



It is hard to believe that such wonderful paintings should have been painted over in the Reformation, but at least they were partly-protected over the intervening years before they were rediscovered.




If you click on the photos, they should enlarge so that you can read them more clearly.


More tomorrow, as it's late and I'm tired.

9 comments:

  1. Lovely. Really interesting. I must do some research and visiting of our churches. Certainly have a lot of cemeteries round here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me again. How do you inhale the salt then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have it in the packet I bought it in and just put my nose over and breathed in and out. It really does seem to be effective for me, but as you are getting salt air at the seaside (and that air is clean and unpolluted as well) it may not make any difference. Best to check it out with your GP and see what he thinks. He may well poo-poo it as not scientifically proven.

      Delete
  3. Next time I'm over with a car ( to my son in Worcester) I'll contact you for car boots nearby!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will be back over there next weekend for the Malvern Autumn show. Want to get a bit more ancestral footsteps exploration done (maybe Orcop or Dymock, or some more Forest of Dean wanderings), but all depends on how much walking my knee can take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went to Orcop last year to look at the wee church there (and the stoop for Holy Water outside in the churchyard. Pretty area. Dymock is a favourite place of mine, as of course Edward Thomas, Robert Frost et al lived/stayed there for a while 1913/14. Enjoy the Autumn Show.

      Delete
  5. Very interesting. I have heard the name Hugh De Lacy before and now it is going to bother me until I figure out where.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh what a wonderful church - so much history. Just love all your photos with the carvings and wall paintings and old chests and doors! I have a feeling it is on my list of churches to visit. Thanks so much for sharing - a great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to it - my favourite show of the year. We have been going for years (first of all 6am starts & mad dash all the way from London, but have now got the stay just outside Hereford the night before & after routine sorted). Years before I started researching my family tree, when I thought my mother's side of the family were long-established Welsh, it felt odd that I'd get this "I'm home" feeling as we passed the chapel at Hollybush on the road to Ledbury. But a few years of going down a rabbit hole every time Ancestry has a free access weekend has revealed the ties to Herefordshire - though mostly the "Welsh" part between the Monow & the Wye.

    ReplyDelete