Saturday 28 September 2019

A quick Gingerbread recipe


Apologies for blurry photo, but you get the general idea!

This recipe (Sledmere Gingerbread) was in a Baking Heaven magazine I bought last year.  Keith loves ginger, so I added some chopped preserved ginger (the stuff in syrup):

SLEDMERE GINGERBREAD

450g (1 lb) plain flour
225g (1/2 lb) butter
225g (1/2 lb) raw sugar - I used Muscavado
225g (1/2 lb) treacle
4 free-range eggs
15g (1/2 oz) ground ginger
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Preheat the oven to 150 deg. C/Gas Mark 2/300 deg. F.  Put the butter, sugar and treacle into a saucepan to melt.  beat the eggs, then stir the (cooled) treacle mixture into them.  Add the ginger.  Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in a little water, add to the mixture.  Stir altogether into the flour, then bake at once, either in round tins or dropped with a spoon onto a baking sheet.  They are done when a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.


More from Kilpeck tomorrow, if we haven't floated away meanwhile . . .

6 comments:

  1. Sadly they are a long way from me so I can't eat them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a wonderful gingerbread cake recipe.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good one, Jackie. I will use it again.

      Delete
  3. Your gingerbread cake sounds tasty. I've never seen such large paper liners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They fitted on tighter but I picked the cakes up by the liners and they lost their tautness. I think they are just standard ones - not sure if I got them in Charlies or Tesco.

    ReplyDelete