Tuesday 5 May 2020

Aquilegia time again


I walked around the garden with my camera yesterday, just to take that annual Aquilegia photos.  I have lots of these pale pink ones, in various flower formats.  I have introduced a few dark blue and pink plants up here for variety.

They are all in very poor soil here as it's mostly gravel and it's a mixture of sunshine and deep shade, but they thrive.



I did thin them out in the top of the stone garden but they soon go mad, self-seeding, again.


A lovely purply-blue.


This is one of my favourites, pink and the palest lemon.  Looking for a name I have fond Swan Pink  and Yellow . . .


A deeper pink which is a deeper shade still in bud.


Pure white with the yellow stamens.  You can see the greeny bud behind it.


This pale lilac pink one is pretty.


A Ruby Port with a Clematis style flower.


I have a lot of pale pinks (boring to me!) but they are all pretty.


The two tone nearly black with white is William Guinness and the red one is Ruby Port.


I think the blue ones are Blue Flamingo, and in the house I have a lovely pale blue one which got knocked over and trodden on - it was my only plant of this colour too! - so I won't get seeds from that this year as I had to put it in a vase to enjoy it.



Sorry for the blurry photo - I think this is Green Apple.

Not a good gardening day today as it is blowing half a gale. We spent much of yesterday repairing the stable door to what was Maggie's big loose box.  It was a job I had been asking Keith to do for years but had been deemed "unnecessary" but now he Has Time to do it, and so we lifted it off its hinges and set to work.  I deemed it necessary as it was just getting worse and worse and looked like we weren't keeping on top of the jobs that needed doing.  Getting 20 year old rusted-in screws out was not a fun job and cutting the rotten timber out without cutting through the door frame quite a challenge and the circular saw started to go off course towards the end so we didn't get a straight line!  But it's covered with a batten now.  I will show you a finished picture when I have it all painted which is probably a job for today, once we've put the bottom kicking bolt back on.


The green painted wood is pitch pine, a good 100 years old, and it came from the porch of a Dorset cottage.  We were on holiday and staying with our antiques friends Bryan and Mary at the time (it was their next door neighbour who was removing his porch so we asked if we could have the wood.)  It has been in a shed here ever since - in fact it was part of Keith's collection of "useful bits of wood" which would cost you a fortune to buy if you had to, and some of which (200 year old bits of oak and elm for instance) you would find very hard to source.  It was this "collection" which by then was in Maggie's stable, which prompted one idiot of a man who was viewing our house with his wife, to comment - in superior tones - "Oh, got a bit of a problem with hoarding have we?"  I wanted to HIT HIM!  Obviously someone who had never mended anything in his life. . .


Whilst I was helping Keith, I had a sudden urge to re-read Derek Tangye again.  I went inside and found this book - which was more or less where I expected it to be! and then found another of his "The Minack Years"which is a compilation of bits from all his books.  If you haven't read him, they are gentle reading and helped inspire my own "return to the country" plans.

26 comments:

  1. It is years since I read the Derek Tangye books - thanks for the reminder I am running out of reading material. I love Aquelegia and the way they cross-pollinate. My garden here is new because the folk here before were not gardeners (hence the mares tail!!) but I put two new Aquelegia in last year (bought from Claire Austin) and they were lovely and have seeded all over - not in flower yet but coming up nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need some gentle reading right now Pat. Difficult to start from scratch with a garden but it looks like you are doing well. I'm glad you have some Aquilegias and I hope they flower soon.

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of those flowers before and think they are just lovely! Such a wonderful variety of colors in your garden. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their "common name" is Columbine Ellen. They are beautiful and grow in the wild too. I will do a walk and take some photos of the wild ones this week.

      Delete
  3. I loved his books with the donkeys and his wife. But when she died he started writing about another female in his life and I could not forgive him for unfaithfulness ;) Like happy endings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall his "other woman" but I am guessing he was very lonely.

      Delete
  4. I too enjoyed Derek Tangye in the long ago. Our Aquelegia are no way as far along as yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you are a good bit further North so your Aquilegia may be forgiven their tardiness!

      Delete
  5. Your Aquelegias are so beautiful and such a range of colours. We have a few plants in the front garden that have self-seeded - a pink one and a purple one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a few plants and seeds from Touchwood Nurseries near Swansea. A lovely woman who held the Welsh Collection of Aquilegias, then sadly she got Downy Mildew in the plants and lost the collection. I went to her Nursery once - just her (too small!) garden but STUFFED with plants, and especially the most gorgeous and unusual Aquilegias you could see.

      Delete
  6. ps Not read a Derek Tangye since I was a child and an aunt bought me one. But gentle reading is a good idea at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those books inspired me, along with Elizabeth West and Jeannine McMullen to move from the edge of the city to deepest countryside!

      Delete
  7. I must reacquaint myself with the Derek Tangye books it has been sometime. Looking forward to seeing the end of your project. How wonderful to be using wood that old, my husband would be in heaven. Lovely colour in the garden, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books are a nice change from the murder-mysteries I have been reading of late. The door has been mended - I will take a photo when it's been painted - it's 4 once-green planks and a sawn in half pine headboard right now!!

      Delete
  8. Lovely to see your Aquilegia again. My cream ones, children of yours from seed, are flowering now. Several others are dotted around the garden in different colours, but I have no idea of their names. DWx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely to see your Aquilegia again. My cream ones, children of yours from seed, are flowering now. Several others are dotted around the garden in different colours, but I have no idea of their names. DWx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear they are still with you. If you want seeds for more colours . . .

      Delete
  10. How rude was that!? For his information it is called a Room of Plenty and very useful thank you very much... Clearly he has not lived in the country side with long distance to any building supply. I would probably not have been able to restrain myself.
    KJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally ignorant KJ. I wouldn't have sold HIM our house, that's for sure (and his wife didn't like it anyway) and neither of them liked the farm next door or the wonkey doorways or . . . why on earth were they viewing it?!

      Delete
  11. I love columbines, mine are just starting to break through the soil. My favourites are the blue ones.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the blue ones too. I have my darker ones down by what was mum's flat, below the damson tree and the lighter ones up by the apple tree, but have tried to introduce different colours into each.

      Delete
  12. What beautiful flowers. They are more like wildflowers, self seeding and lush, and so delicate--than the aquilegia we grow here. Also call them by another name...columbine.

    lizzy gone to the beach lizzzz.d@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know them as Columbine too - I once saw them growing wild in Dorset and was spellbound and ever since HAD to have them in my garden.

      Delete
  13. We call Aquilegias Grannies Bonnet, but they are lovely by any name.I have swathes of them in the garden, I do thin them out and only clear any that threaten to take over.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't realise they came in so many colours, all of mine are of the pale but pretty variety! It is several decades since I read any Derek Tangye, I must rectify that. You are right, gentle reading is helpful right now. Talking of which, I was browsing one of my household books the other day and came across a tip for removing old and rusty screws, cannot for the life of me remember what it was though, which isn't very helpful. Those old pieces of wood sound like treasure to me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Oh, got a bit of a problem with hoarding have we?" How utterly supercilious--that haughty and patronizing 'we!' I'd have had a hard time to hold my tongue!
    The interactions of cats intrigue me [although sometimes they are maddening] no two of the species quite alike in personality. Life would be the poorer without them.
    I would cherish even boring pink aquilegias--I had a small clump--lavender shades-- in my first Kentucky garden but they disappeared during the hot and humid summer months, never to appear again.
    I've had a copy of Tangye's 'Somewhere A Cat Is Waiting' for decades--now I'm reminded that a few years ago I found copies of his other books--I wonder where they are, obviously still languishing in an unpacked box.

    ReplyDelete