Monday 25 May 2020

Being creative


Lockdown has given me plenty of time to sew and here are a few of the things I've been working on.  This Autumn colours table runner has now grown and will be a lap quilt!  Quite a bit of this has been sewn in the middle of the night, if I can't sleep.


This is as far as I can get with the final borders on the Baltimore quilt.  Hand-quilted and a pleasure to work on.  Now I am waiting on an order from Doughty's at Hereford of wide sheeting for the back of the charity quilt, and to back the last two borders of this one.


This is the charity quilt nearly finished (Quilts for Care Leavers).  I need to cut some white hexagons and then it's half-hexagons to fill in and square off the edge.  I took out half a dozen blocks which weren't the pretties (a bit pale and wan) and have put other more decorative blocks in.  Hopefully the recipient will like it.  I found this unfinished quilt in a Charity Shop, so they also benefited from its sale.

Well, I had a lovely day in the garden yesterday - feeling confident to stay out there as pollen levels were apparently LOW on Friday - Monday, according to all the pollen recordings on line.  W.R.O.N.G.  At first when I measured my peak flow, it had actually gone up some 40 points, which was reassuring.  So I worked away weeding a very overgrown area in the side border, and made great progress (there is even bare soil to be seen there now!) and also dug over the last triangle in the veg plot, ready to receive "guests" from the Polytunnel, and finished off getting some of the grass out of the rhubarb patch.  However certain you are you have every root, the blardy stuff STILL grows back!

Then in the middle of the night my breathing was bad.  I came down and took my antihistamine early, had a cup of tea and read some of my book (though there is a big pile still to read!!)  If you like family history, then I can recommend this one, set in Hastings, Sussex.


I am wondering if the pollen has affected me because the rain we had broke the pollen down into tiny bits (which is does, particularly if we have had a thunderstorm and heavy rain) and these have gone deep into my lungs.  My GP has explained this to me in the past, but I was lulled into a false sense of security this weekend.  Ah well, time to do the indoor jobs then.



Thanks to Middle Daughter, I had a Shipton Mill flour delivery 10 days ago, so am well topped up with Organic plain and S-R flour, some 00 for pasta making, and some strong Canadian white bread flour too. 

I am off to get a loaf started now, and perhaps make a cake to mop up some of the egg mountain.  I would just LOVE to be outside - and Tam and I had planned a special longer walk as a nod to it being Bank Holiday Monday (Whitsun, as it used to be called).  I hope we can get back to walking together again soon.



9 comments:

  1. Your hexagon quilts are beautiful. Sorry for your breathing problems, how discouraging when you want to be out enjoying the spring air.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grass pollen has hit hard early this year -it's normally mid-June onwards - so hopefully I will get this over and done with by the time I normally suffer. The very hot spring we have had has brought everything (except the vegetables!) on early.

      The quilts are certainly keeping me occupied anyway.

      Delete
  2. Asthma is far worse than COPD. You have my sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very frustrating. The first thing I know about my "hayfever" these days is a drop in my peak flow levels -it doesn't affect my nose any more.

      Delete
  3. hat a joy to see all your creations, each one beautiful in its own way. I love the idea of all that hand stitching, each stitch filled with love. Hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I far prefer hand stitching to machine stitching - more mindful and I get easily distracted if chatting and machine sewing when I'm at our patchwork class (really missing my stitching friends).

      I was worse in the night but it's usually 3 lots of steroids before I start to notice a difference.

      Delete
  4. Love the quilts! Thanks for the name of the book! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't sleep last night (this is the usual steroid routine) and finished the book. Thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to reading more from the series when my friend sends them.

      Delete
  5. I am sorry to hear that you are suffering with hay fever, that is really tough especially if it is stopping you from sleeping too. I do hope it eases for you soon.

    Your quilts are wonderful, such a lot of work but so beautiful to look at.

    ReplyDelete