Sunday 25 October 2020

An extra hour


An "Atkinson Grimshaw" moon tonight . . . behind mucky-looking clouds.

 For once, I didn't wake at the crack of dawn when the clocks went back and in fact, slept in until 8.40 p.m. which is unheard of for me.  I obviously needed the sleep.  I have been keeping busy all day, but turned some jobs into Sitting Down jobs.  One of these, this afternoon, when there was something I wanted to watch on tv, was the Quilting Magazine Cull.  I was Ruthless again, and went through them asking myself, was there anything I wanted to make that I didn't already have in a book (or could find on line, come to that?)  Very few quilting magazines passed the test, and in fact the ones that stayed were some Period Home magazines, a Homes and Antiques magazine, and a couple of Christmas magazines for the ideas in them. Now someone will benefit from me shedding more "stuff".  I have earmarked some sewing books to go to a friend from my patchwork group who I know  is always looking out for fresh ideas.  I will donate the magazines to Alex, who runs the patchwork group, along with two bin liners full of fabrics.  I am not giving up making quilts, but being very specific with what I make in future.



    We took another load for storage at a friend's, along with some apples, pears and some culled country cookery books for her.  I know she will enjoy all.

    I picked up 3 grocery shopping bags full of windfall apples and will give the remaining two bags to other (unsuspecting!) neighbours.  

    I caught up with the ironing too, changed the office curtains for some new ones I bought (think I did that yesterday actually), and have vacuumed the house from top to bottom (another survey being done tomorrow - hopefully one which won't condemn our house as unfit to live in . . .) I shall be glad when tomorrow is over though.

    Hoping that Pat is comfortable in Hospital and is already mending.  Thinking of you my dear.  I hope you have a good book to read whilst you are laid up.




12 comments:

  1. Hi sweetie, bet that was painful letting go of the patchwork stuff but glad you got a decent sleep. Well done you though for letting go. For a change I have had a lazy day today just pottering and getting ideas. You know me and ideas. Can be a tad dangerous. Trying to get my head around Instagram at the moment and it is not going too well. Thought could use alongside the blog to be more instantaneous when doing stuff. Will have to go back to the drawing board. Have had a nice quick tea tonight. Italian Sausages with roasted mixed veg. It is quick to do although there is a lot of preparation of veggies. Did quicker in the Ninja Foodie though an awful lot quicker than the oven and the taste is just as good. You take care now and I hope the survey goes well tomorrow. Hugs Tricia x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tricia, sounds like you have been keeping busy, as ever. Actually, the magazines were easy to let go of - not that many quilt ideas that made me think, ooh, I want to do that. Yet, I found a couple of American quilting books in the pile where I want to make just about everything from! Hence, I could let go of the others, knowing they're going to a good home.

    I have an Instagram account, but never looked at putting photos up on it. Some silly mind worm tells me it only works with photos from your phone, but I'm sure I'm wrong! I saw an advert for a Ninja Foodie on tv recently - I'd not heard of it until you mentioned it. The Italian Sausages and veg sounded good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a point of learning to do IG during the summer lockdown, mostly just a challenge to learn a new to me skill. You are correct, you can only upload pics from your phone, but it is easy to add the free app, and away you go. You can look, and comment, on your computer however.

      Delete
    2. Hah - I shan't be a champion instragrammer then as I am hopeless with my mobile and my photos on it are less than good.

      Delete
  3. You have been busy. You are braver than I at giving up fabric, I could almost say I am a hoarder, except I do try to use it all at some point.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to let go of the fabric - just have too much and I am scaling my quilting plans down for the future. Some of the colours/prints weren't what I wanted to use either, so happy for them to go to someone who will put them to good use.

      Delete
  4. You did all that with just one extra hour. I am put to shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my way of mental escape from worry right now Debby.

      Delete
  5. I wish I could sit and look thru all those quilting magazines w you. How hard it must be to discard them, and so much fabric, too. Good example tho, I know I should thin out my fabric stash too. [I do not buy r keep if given magazines, whew! One burden missed...].

    lizzy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could have them Lizzy D!! They will go to my patchwork teacher, who will be delighted.

      Delete
  6. I am so glad to hear that you have had a really good long sleep, it is so good to do that even if it is not every night isn't it. It sounds like you needed it. I hope the clearing and sorting is still going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It kept me going but the nights since have been wide-awake ones ... Sorting and clearing are going well anyway. Needed doing, truth be told. One becomes too complacent.

      Delete