Saturday 31 October 2020

Apparently it's Saturday . . .

. . . but it doesn't feel like it.  Mind you, I don't know which day it DOES feel like, but that's what happens when you are in Lockdown and have no proper daily markers to get you through the week (apart from Wednesday, which is grocery delivery day).  


The view across the paddock  a couple of weeks ago.  Fewer apples on the tree now and the Polytunnel is taken down and ready for transport to its new home.


It's blowing more than half a gale out and the clouds are heading North-East at some speed.  In fact it was the wind that woke me up this morning.  Hmmm, any walk is going to be a bit brisk.  I shall go out for the paper first thing, and try and remember to put the last bag of books in the car ready for when our patchwork teacher comes over this morning to collect them for the community shop, along with plenty of patchwork magazines and some fabrics for her.  I am hoping she will want to take on a charity project with the applique blocks from many many years ago which had originally been destined to make a quilt for charity, but I got distracted and they got stowed away, and so now they will have a 2nd chance.  I always think I have more spare time than I actually have.

    

Up the valley by the swing bridge, with Banc-y-Daren in the background.


    I can see I am going to be picking up more fallen apples today.  I am only using the biggest to stew up and am still (trying to!!!) give away bags of windfalls to  unsuspecting victims . . .

    Torrential rain out now.  Looks like a good day to make a pan of soup.  If it carries on like this it will be another day for indoors exercise - the number of times I am going up and down stairs at the moment, sorting the attic rooms out.  Not difficult to clock up 12000 steps without going out the front gate.  Tea is already sorted - the other half of last night's tasty lasagne, totally home made of course, right down to the white sauce from scratch . . .  Well done Tam.

    Off for some breakfast now, and to read a few more pages of Blood Water by Ted Baker, which is a crime novel set in the Dorset Purbecks, an area I know well.

    Ghengis had his trip to the vet yesterday and is now on Loxicom for his cystitis (poor boy was on the litter tray every few minutes yesterday afternoon) and an eye ointment for his eye (Conjunctavitis).  Then in the afternoon I had to take Keith to the Dr's to have his barked shin checked out as it wasn't looking as if it was healing and there was redness around the edges of the wounds.  So he's now on anti-biotics.  Hope both my boys are better soon.

    

11 comments:

  1. Okay now I have to ask: who is Tam? Been puzzled for months now :-) Eventough the weather here is not inviting (coastal area Netherlands) I hope to get a good walk today and hope to get my husband with me. We need is. Too much in house makes one quite gloomey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, Tam is our eldest daughter (have another daughter and a son too, all grown up now). We managed to get out for a walk at lunchtime, whilst it was dry and with occasional sunshine, along by the river - photos later. I agree with you about getting gloomy when housebound.

      Delete
  2. Further west than you, the rain has been hitting against my south-facing bedroom window all night, and I feel quite bleary-eyed this morning, and there's at least another day or so before the wind drops below 45/50mph! Is your new house in a more sheltered spot??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are under the lee of a hill here, so miss the very worst of the weather (those folk in the past knew the best place to situate a house.) New house a little higher up and there is a view, so not so sheltered though there is a good belt of trees to the West.

      Delete
  3. Oh, if you were nearby, I'd be grateful for all the apples you had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have four trees-full and anyone who calls gets offered a bagful! A shame you aren't close!!

      Delete
  4. Happy to see your weather is warmer than ours. We've had snow a couple of times but the temperatures will be in the double digits for a couple of days so our white stuff could melt. You are doing well with sorting and distributing the items, including the fruit. Good to have Tam at your place. What a great help she is. Hope your boys are well soon. Ghengis will now be on the mend after seeing the vet. Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We rarely get snow here anyway, but do have some cold spells when winter kicks in properly. Fairly mild at the moment though.

      Tam is a real Godsend right now I can tell you.

      Ghengis off his Loxicom now and just a few more days on the eyedrops but his eye is better already. K's leg mending too.

      Delete
  5. It is really easy to loose track of the days. Thank heavens for our calendar, and the date on the computer or I would really be confused.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got a newspaper today as Keith had to go and have another blood test. So I knew it was Monday - but just as well Keith checked his appt, as he thought it was NEXT Monday!

      Delete
  6. I too would have loved some of those apples.......it is hard to work out the days when you have nothing to anchor you isn't it.

    ReplyDelete