Sunday 22 November 2020

Hoe, hoe, hoe . . .

 Today has been another full-on day trying to sort through stuff in the outbuildings, as well as (me) wrapping up ceramics from the house.  This is such slow work but I am hoping that they are all safely wrapped and double-boxed so they won't get broken in transit.  Outside with Keith and Tam, we have been sorting out stuff for the next Trip to the Tip, going through gardening tools (we have 4 hoes, which is 3 more than we really need!) and I felt compelled to sweep up the masses of oak leaves strewn wetly across the yard.  When I had the horses, that yard was always impeccable - not a stray wisp of hay in sight, and it sends me a-twitching to see it half buried with leaves.



We also got leaves out of the only gutter we can reach, emptied an old stone sink of water and placed it on blocks, and filled with soil ready to be planted (if they are gardeners).  These Belfast sinks are far too heavy to take with us.


We have come to a decision on the lovely old Arts & Crafts dresser which was Keith's gran's.  We had been going to sell it with some other furniture from the house (to the buyers) but have decided it will go with us now instead.  Not sure where it will go yet but perhaps in the sitting room, if we arrange things properly.

I still have a long list of things to do, but tomorrow is another day and now I need to rest.


10 comments:

  1. Getting ready to move house is a long process. You seem to be handling things very well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're hoping it will be all packed in advance of a move date, leaving the essentials unpacked until the bitter end of course.

      Delete
  2. I love that lane, winding down the hill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad to see tools going to the tip...or the Cowp as it is called here..but so many people nowadays insist on brand new when the old ones can be better!
    A wise decision to keep the dresser. You will find a space for it, they are so useful apart from it being part of the family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty ancient and rusty tool heads I have to say, probably early 20th C, so they have earned their keep down the years.

      Hope they have the other dresser or we WILL be stuck for room!!

      Delete
  4. You seem to be coping so well. Here's hoping it stays that way and you will be in your new home soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On occasion it's only the wee slug of gin when nerves are strung like bowstrings which stops me exploding! That's happened 3 times in the last 6 weeks or so.

      I am gradually learning to really read the Solicitor-speak but I really do NOT enjoy the dealings. We will now be here over Christmas, we have discovered.

      Delete
  5. That path is just gorgeous. PS I love furniture. I'd like to see a picture of your bureau!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doesn't it lead you into the landscape?

    I will have to see if I have a photo of the dresser "all dressed up" (it is now stripped bare and needs its finery.)

    ReplyDelete