Tuesday 24 November 2020

Tired on Tuesday


 This is the dresser which is now being offered for sale (on a well-known public auction site). Minus all the collectables on it of course and my cupboard contents.  Beneath the white chalk paint it is solid mahogany, even the drawer sides and back.  I expect someone thought it was "too brown" and painted it, before I bought it from a trading friend in Hay-on-Wye.  If it doesn't sell, we will have to try and shoe-horn it in somewhere in the new house.

    I was looking for an old photo of the Arts & Crafts dresser we're keeping, all dressed up, but cannot for the life of me find one with all the Royal Doulton plates and pieces on it.  I will have to take one of it "bare" tomorrow.

    After a dental check up first thing (our first in a year) Keith and I came home and he and Tam started sorting out stuff for another Bonfire outside, and I did necessary emails/phone calls, but didn't get the reply from our Solicitor until very late in the day.

    I am trying to get all my boxes of stock from the back of the junk room to the front of the hall so I can take them to some friends locally who have offered to look after it for us, so we can collect it once we have moved.  That way it all stays together and doesn't get confused with all the other boxes. I also took down all the jugs from the beam and the dressers, washed them, and any "dented" ones are going to the Charity shop this week. This seemed to take longer than anticipated.

    Tam and I got some fresh air when we had a walk down along by the river - we wanted to have a nose at the progress on the demolishing of the lane, which started to happen this morning - I was REALLY shocked to see a digger at work!  We were taking bets on whether it was going to be 18 mths or 2 yrs before work started!

    I finished one book today (Copsford, thanks Sue in Suffolk for the heads up on that one) and am now re-reading another.  Photos tomorrow.

10 comments:

  1. Love the dresser. Such classic lines.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the scallop along the front of the shelving and the glass panels at the bottom, where my cast iron pans etc live. If it doesn't sell, we will have to squeeze it in somewhere!

      Delete
  2. A nice dresser, pity that someone didn't appreciate the quality of good wood. At least it didn't get painted a garish colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am old enough to remember my dad painting brown furniture white back in the 1960s, so what goes round comes round!

      Delete
  3. That is a really lovely dresser. You still sound very busy but glad you still have time for some reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading is always a godsend. The pressure has been taken off a bit so we will just plod away now. Glad you like the dresser too.

      Delete
  4. That is a lovely dresser. If I lived nearby, I'd be all about it, and my poor husband would be trying desperately to talk me out of it. The detail on it is sweet. We will be downsizing from our big house to a small house soon, so I'll be following in your footsteps shortly, I expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope someone else feels the same way about the dresser as you. Oh gosh, if you are even THINKING about downsizing, start on your clearance NOW!!

      Delete
  5. Such a beautiful dresser, I love it. Glad you managed a little walk out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has character, and I shall miss it if it does sell. If it doesn't, we will cope! The walk was just what we needed.

      Delete